La Porta Magica B&B

Via Giovanni Giolitti 239, Rome, 00185, Italy

More about Rome

Monument to Victor Emmanuel II, May 2007Monument to Victor Emmanuel II, May 2007

Piazza NavonaPiazza Navona

Bougainvillea, Streets of Rome, May 2007Bougainvillea, Streets of Rome, May 2007

Tempio di Castore e PolluceTempio di Castore e Polluce

Opera or live shows

by resjenks

This is probably a silly question but I am going to Rome in December. Can anyone tell me how to find out if there are operas or shows happening and how to buy tickets?

by swissfondue

Have a look at:

www.culturalitaly.com/romeopera.htm if you want an idea of whats on in December (dates, locations and prices)

I have not used this site myself though. From my experience booking by phone is the best option as I have held and then lost tickets online previously especially when booking from a different country.

by stevemt

Try this website. I refer to it often

by gildapaolina

Try on Teatro dell'Opera site:

This is the site of Opera Establishment: you can check there the seasonal programs of various theatres, see ticket prices and availability and have other informations about productions, directions, etc.
Hope it could help.

Travel Tips for Rome

Ponte Cavour

by Sarita76

The bridge called Ponte Cavour was built in 1902, named under Camillo Benso Conte di Cavour. The bridge was meant to replace Ponte Ripetta, the bridge which had been demolished, along with the Ripetta river port.

Ponte Cavour links Piazza Cavour to Via Ripetta, the heart of Rome.

Bernini wonders

by dmirebella

There are constant reminders of the beauty and the magnificience of the Italians in their heyday.

One aclaimed Rennaisance painter/sculpture is Bernini who was once again brought to fame by Dan Brown. Lets be honest guys, when we think Rennaisance, we automatically think of Michaelangelo or Raphael.

The Dan Brown book itself is a book of fiction using Rome and its wonders as its backdrop and I found myself on a quest to source out the many different aspects.

Santa Maria della Vittoria which is around a 10 min walk away from the backdrop set in the book to find the 'fire' clue and not at the Piazza Baberini as stated in the book. Find it however, I did and despite the church itself being rather non-assuming, the frescoes in it was amazing as it is decorated with stuccos and frescos executed by Guidobaldo Abatini to Bernini's design.

Americano, americano...

by kcochran111 about Campo dei Fiori

If after your European travels, a little English would be music to your ears, head to Campo dei Fiori. We were followed by a couple drunk Italians as we left the piazza, but I think they were the only locals in the place. The bars surrounding the Campo host large groups of International tourists. We ended up drinking in Sloppy Sams with a girl from Spain and a guy from Boston. A fun scene if you want to kick back with fellow wanderers. Casual

La Fontanella

by Mikebb about Good Local Family Run Restaurant

We went looking for a traditional Italian restaurant that local people would use, but not one of the real upmarket type you see on the Via Veneto. It was not hard to find and we soon had a few to choose from. The restaurant was nice, with a dining section at the front, however we were taken down a hallway to find a large dining room with many tables, all full which made me happy. We were given a table for 2 and menu. The waiter returned after 5 minutes and explained our selections and made recommendations. It was a nice meal and good atmosphere, we enjoyed being there and it was good to observe other tables, the people and meals provided.
We enjoyed it so much we returned a few days later. Entre: tomato and mozarella plus olive oil, grille sole fish, pomme fritters, mixed vegetables, profiteroles for sweets , coffee and water. My wife said the best meal we had so far and we had been travelling for 4 weeks through 5 countries. Cost was 53 Euros for 2 person.

Museum

by 11elvese11

I don't know about other museums, but here's a tip for the Vatican museum: during the week go at noon, there are no line-ups (Natalia, who rented us our apartment gave us that tip). So, what we did was to visit the St-Peter's Basilica in the morning (beware the dress code) and headed for the Vatican Museum for noon.

Comments