Leonard B&B

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Rome

Teatro di Marcello, Roma, May 2007Teatro di Marcello, Roma, May 2007

Foro Italico, Il Duce Mosaic, May 2007Foro Italico, Il Duce Mosaic, May 2007

Different generations meeting at viale P.TogliattiDifferent generations meeting at viale P.Togliatti

Il Gesù, Nave, May 2007Il Gesù, Nave, May 2007

supermarkets

by lindsey9092

I am travelling to Rome in september, it will be my 1st visit. I will be staying near the Olympic Stadium. i like to use the same sort of shops as the locals, i feel they are better than the tourist shops. A friend, who recommended my hotel told me she went to a nice supermarket/market, she thinks it was called Perlos Market, about 5/10 mins from the Stadium. Can anyone tell me if it is still there? and the location as she was not sure now.

by missy.pulliam

I am also not sure but yeah, local markets are good than tourists shops. So prefer to shop from these kinds of market only.

by mccalpin

"Perlos" is not an Italian name, so I'm guessing it was something else. There is a Persiani Salsamentaria (a salsamentaria sells cold cuts [meats], cheeses, olives, various vegetables preserved in vinegar or oil) about a kilometer away from Piazzale dello Stadio Olimpico at VIALE PINTURICCHIO, 210, but, of course, I don't know where your hotel is (5/10 minutes away is a long way in Rome).

Are you looking for food items? There aren't grocery stores that cater to tourists, although there are tourist stores that may sell food items (but not too many). And I've never heard of a supermarket that catered to tourists, so I'm not sure I know what you're looking for.

In any case, the Olympic Stadium is not in a tourist area. Supermarkets in Italy are like supermarkets everywhere - they carry a higher percentage of pre-packaged items (although these items are often more interesting than what you would find at home). Supermarkets are found only outside the city center (which the Olympic Stadium is); inside the city center, you will find smaller grocery stores that are like those in any urban environment where space is at a premium.

So, what are you really looking for?

Bill

by lindsey9092

i checked and she said Perlo market, sold mainly food items, she thinks the owner was called Gorge.

by mccalpin

I can't find a Perlo anything in the Italian Yellow Pages online, and then I tried "perla" (which means "pearl") and got a number of hits of all sorts of businesses, none particularly close to you, and the only food store was over 7 kilometers (almost 5 miles) away...

So it looks like you'll have to do what we all do - strike out on your own and have an adventure looking for local stuff(!)...;-)

Bill

Travel Tips for Rome

The first night we sat by the...

by Gmolinari

The first night we sat by the Pantheon and had dinner. A band started playing and the fountains in the backround, it was like a Felini movie!! We enjoyed everything, we met owners of a restaurant on the Via Cavour. If you are there say Hello to Marco and Leila at the L' Esquilino Via Cavour, 87 from their frieds in New York. You can get a great meal at a relatively cheap price. Rome at night is unbelievable. It is like something from a dream.

SHOES !!!!! Just do it !!

by Frisbeeace

If you go to Rome you go to walk. Worse yet, you go to trek and climb. Leave your leather shoes and heels at home please. Just pack 2 pairs of your most confortable sneakers and that's all you need. It was painful to see girls in heels walking at the Roman Forum and all over the city with granite pavements. I only used my Nike Prestos during all the trip.

Great Leather Coats

by TRimer about Gerard

One of the most famous Italian leather and suede store in Rome, known for its excellent quality and prices. Products included leather and suede jackets, sheepskins, coats, wallets, gloves and accessories. The jacket that I bought was in a color and style that is now can be seen in the fashion magazines- 2 years later. Open Hours: 3.30pm-7.30pm Mon; 10am-7.30pm Tue-Sat.

Fantastic Roman Meal

by jchtravel about Trattoria di Antonio Bassetti

You will probably walk right past this the first time. Glass fronted, with a single wood framed glass door that opens to a single dining room, with no waiting area. If it's full (it probably will be), wait outside and the nice young lady will come out for you. Tables are packed close, and reset with a plain paper cloth. You will be taken care of quickly, and your bottled water, wine and bread are there for you in a hurry. As Americans, we were given a menu. We noticed a few more tourist tables...the guidebooks, you know...but the families and tables of local workers gives this room an earthy Roman flair, with Antonio working each table with a real familiarity for his customers.

The young lady who seated us also took our order. It wasn't on the menu, but I wanted to try Cacio e Pepe, so I asked, and she was delighted to say yes. We noticed almost every table trying the slim Fall artichokes, and my wife ordered a plate of two. They are trimmed, steamed or braised, and served simply, bathed in a olive oil herbed lemon sauce. These begged that you take the time to savor the exquisite flavor. Since this was our first Roman meal, we later noticed these artichokes everywhere we went. Amazing!

We were out for right around 20 euros. A fantastic meal and delightful experience. Cacio e Pepe. Made with a fresh pasta, tonarelli I suspect, long strands like spaghetti, but just a bit thicker. A generous serving, in a wide shallow bowl, it is a simple preparation tossed with lots of cracked black pepper and pecorino cheese. Just the right amount of olive oil at the bottom of the bowl for wiping up with the last crusts of bread.

Great Lunch Near the Pantheon

by Lacristina about Enoteca Corsi

This is the kind of place you think of when someone says, "I want to eat where the locals eat."

Unless you're looking for it, you would probably walk right past the unassuming entry.

VT member Abarbieri, who lives in Rome, introduced me to this wonderful restaurant. This is the kind of place that looks as if they haven't changed anything in 50 years. Thank goodness. It feels "real" because it is.

Enoteca Corsi (enoteca means wine cellar or wine shop in Italian) has two rooms chock-a-block with tables, a plain but homey decor, and friendly (if harried) service. It is busy, noisy and fun!

It is only open for lunch, and the menu is limited but good. Usually only 2-3 choices for primi (soup or pastas) and secondi (meat or fish). Very reasonable prices, and afterward, you can buy a reasonably priced wine, too. The menu changes. I've eaten artichokes Roman style, bean soup, pasta, and ossobuco, and they were all good.

Comments