Leonardi Genio Hotel

Genio Hotel
Booking.com Venere.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• ROME TRAVELERS BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This hotel overbooks and then sends you to one of their lower rated and less desirable locations.
    During the first week of April we booked a room for hotel Genio for July 14, 15, 16 &17 with this hotels website Leonardihotels.com When we arrived for our stay on July 14 we were informed that the hotel was overbooked and we would be staying at another Leonardi hotel named La Sistina which is located in the vicinity of the Spanish steps.
    Since I had booked the room three months in advance it was difficult to understand why my room was not available. When I produced a copy of my confirmation and explained that I had booked through the hotels very own website his response was that the manager had overbooked and there was nothing he could do for me. I requested to speak with the manager but was told he was not available.
    After repeatedly denying my request to speak with management the clerk agreed that I had a legitimate complaint but nothing could be done. His only assistance was to offer a taxi to the other hotel.
    Their main concern was just getting us out of the lobby as quickly as possible so we wouldn’t alarm any other guest of the hotel.
    Since we had nowhere else to go we had no choice but accept the offer for the hotel La Sistina.
    To make matters worse the La Sistina was dirty had no hot water when we tried to shower in the afternoon and was in a terrible location.
    hotel Genio’s policy of overbooking and then down grading your accommodations along with their arrogant and harsh treatment is bad business and definitely not a common practice in Italy. I traveled throughout the country over the last two years on two separate vacations and never encountered this problem.
    This stressful and annoying matter occurring during my vacation was really unfortunate.
    I definitely do not recommend hotel Genio or any other Leonardi hotel.

Directions: NEAR PIAZZA NAVONA

More about Leonardi Genio Hotel

A suggestion.

by Scotty1023 about Hotel Genio

The Hotel Genio over by the Piazza Navona is a nice place, centrally located, reasonably priced and very comfortable. I would go there again or at least stay in the Piazza Navonna area. Good location, Good service, Reasonable Price. Go to the restaurant on the corner next to the Hotel. Very good food.

Not touristy restaurant near Piazza Navona.

by breughel about Trattoria Pizzeria Fiammetta

When visiting the remarkable museum of the Palazzo Altemps, a few hundred meters north of Piazza Navona, one might look for a not too touristy restaurant what is not easy to find in this area.
After looking at some restaurants with terraces typically for tourists we found on the ground floor of the building where is located the Hotel Genio, behind the corner, a trattoria independent of this hotel.
No waiter was posted outside to attract tourists and from the carte we could see they served wine from the house at normal prices for Italy. So we decided to have a look inside.
The waiter as well as the clients at the tables spoke Italian and indeed Trattoria Pizzeria Fiammetta appeared to be a normal Roman restaurant, with normal Italian food and wine at normal Italian prices. Furthermore as the food was good, the service kind, we had a quite pleasant lunch and will return there if we are again in that area.

Brilliant Loved our stay at the Genio

by TripAdvisor Member avaboo

We stayed at the Genio for four nights June 22nd - 26th and really enjoyed our stay.The location is Super.We were within walking distance of all the sights .The Hotel itself is lovely although the bedroom was not very big but it was clean and comfortable, lovely big bathroom and because we were on the 5th floor we had our own balcony. They also had a lovely terrace on the roof where you could enjoy a bottle of wine at the end of the day.The Hotel arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport which was waiting for us on arrival.Breakfast was also included with a good choice of food.We really enjoyed our trip to Rome and would certainly recommend Hotel Genio.

Accomodating - Forget It!!!!!!!

Having stayed at this hotel before - the location is good, but....we had reconfirmed (and i mean confirmed reservations) reservations only seven days before since we had just stayed there. Brought a group back to same Hotel (Genio) on the way back out of Rome (after dropping rental cars off at Termini Station and taking taxis all the way back to Hotel to find they had not one room available for us (even though 12 rooms had not been checked into yet - they said this was for a bigger group coming up). We had made our reservations a full 3 months in advance with all the paperwork to verify it. The "purported" manager was a joke in how he handled the situation - ultimately telling us "we could call the police if we didn't like it, but we weren't staying there" - HOW'S THAT FOR SERVICE FOR A PURPORTED 4 STAR HOTEL - WHAT A JOKE!!!!! Sorry, Hotel Genio, but when your aim is to book an even bigger group into your hotel when 5 rooms were already booked a full 3 months in advance (and we had just stayed in your hotel only 1 week before, and the concierge said "have a nice trip, see you all next weekend"), this manager should be fired. This review written by people that have traveled extensively thru Italy and the world as a whole. Very, very unprofessional!!!!

Good Hotel and Centrally Located

I was at the Genio from 18 to 21 June 2004. I stayed in a triple on the 2nd floor (Rm 209) with my wife and 19 yr old daughter. We found our room to be clean and of good size with plenty of room to move around. I did notice that the A/C was kind of weak. I set the thermostat on maximum cold when I arrived and never adjusted it again. When we got back at the end of the day, the room felt slightly warm, but not uncomfortably warm. I would go to sleep at night with no covers on me, but by morning I needed to cover. Daytime temperatures were in the upper 80's F. However, If you are one of those people who has to have a very cold room, you may be unhappy. We found the staff to be nice and efficient. The breakfast was typical European - meat, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, fresh bread, juice and coffee. A real plus is that the hotel is centrally located. We ate outside everynight at the many restaurants that are near the hotel. We would happily stay at this hotel again. Regards, Jon

Keep Looking

If you arrive in the early morning(ie transatlantic flight time) you will not be able to check-in until 1.30pm So your first jet-lagged morning will be spent in abject misery while you wait up to 3.5 hours to get into your hotel room for a shower.

The staff are hateful. Unhelpful, bordering on offensive.

If your hoping for a romantic getaway beware of the beds, they are two single beds shakled together with a cavernous gap down the middle.

The A/C is useless.

This is not a Four Star experience but it is a Four Star price. keep Looking.

Not as bad as it's painted.

by TripAdvisor Member Marvelmann

Having read the reviews I was not looking forward to this hotel. We arrived amidst a power cut and were transferred for the night to a sister hotel at their expense. We went back the following morning (again at their expense) to find pleasant staff, small but comfortable rooms and good service. A superb location for all the sights including St Peter's and the Vatican. Not bad at all!

Very Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Pipaya

We had booked two double rooms at Genio through leonardi.com months in advance.
Rome was to be our last stop in Italy so we were looking forward to what sounded like a nice hotel to end our trip.
When we reached the reception and gave our name they said "there has been a mistake, there is no rooms available" so even with our reservation confirmation, we were simply told "there has been a mistake". That was it, no explanation!!!
They said that they had organised for us to stay at Pace Elvezia(another Leonardi hotel)
We had specifically chosen Genio for the location, so even though we knew Pace Elvezia was nice it wasn't in the right location.
We found this to be extremely disappointing and VERY unprofessional.
We would recommend you look else where while in Rome. The fact that this seems to have not only happened to us, but to people with larger bookings suggests that Genio is more interested in looking after themselves than their customers!
On a brighter note we had a nice stay at Pace Elvezia and they have a lovely rooftop terrace.
Cheers

A wonderful location

by TripAdvisor Member Alysb

I began my search on the web for a hotel in Rome near the Piazza Navona. I located the Genio and began email contact with Livia. She was extremely helpful with arrangements for 2 couples, plus transportation to and from the airport. We stayed at the Genio from September 29 - October 3, 2004 @ 210 Euros per night....
Upon check-in, our rooms were immediately available. We stayed in room 609 with a very large terrace and our friends were in 307. There is traffic til early in the morning....but no real problem with too much noise.
We just loved the convenient location to the many nearby restaurants and tourist sites. Just take the local map from the desk and head out to see it all.
We enjoyed the view from the 6th floor terrace and even up the spiral staircase to the 7th deck. The guests use the terrace at all hours of the day for the view while sipping a 'little vino."
The breakfast is the typical European fare.....meats and cheeses, breads and juice, yogurt and fruits, and delicious pastry...along with coffee and tea.
The staff was courteous and helpful.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Directions to Hotel Genio From Tiburtina Station

by dautcalm

Hi,

I'll be arriving at Tiburtina Station late Friday afternoon, I need directions using public transportation to Hotel Genio, Via Giuseppe Zanardelli, 28 located in the Piazza Navona area ?

Much Appreciated.

Re: Directions to Hotel Genio From Tiburtina Station

by mccalpin

The ATAC website (public transportation system) suggests:
1. Take Metro B (direction: Laurentina) from Tiburtina station to Termini station. 4 stops.
2. Change to Metro A (direction: Battistini) to Barberini stop. 2 stops.
3. Take the 116 bus 9 stops to the Zanardelli stop 100 meters from your address.

When I initially asked it for 9:00 in the morning instead of 5:00 in the afternoon (after rereading your note), the website suggested Metro B to Termini, then the #70 bus from Termini all the way to within 50 meters of your address. I don't know why the change - #70 runs all day long about every 10-15 minutes...but this shows, of course, that there are a variety of ways to get from here to there.

Please see my Transportation Tips on my Rome page (ATAC) for detailed instructions on how to use the ATAC website to calculate your route (in English, too)...

Bill