Rome Hotels

Our Members Say

• GracesTrips profile photo GracesTrips
  • Reviews: 1465

Hotel Britannia: 4Star Accomodation in Great Location

OMG! Thousands and thousands of accomodations to choose from in Rome was daunting. But, I found the ideal place to stay. Things I took into consideration is price (#1), location (#2), Wi-fi - not high speed internet (#3), reviews (#4), type of room (#5) and breakfast provided (#6). Not only was the location important (nice area) but also access to the metro. I was able to determine much of the surroundings using google maps street view and that was extremely helpful. I didn't want to stay in too modern of an accomodation. I wanted the ambience of the hotel and room to feel as though we are staying in Rome and it did. Most of the reviews were positive. The hotel arranged for our pick-up at the airport when we arrived and that was extremely convenient.

So, the location was great. Wi-fi did not work, was disappointed with that. Breakfast was really, really good. Room was smaller than I anticipated but the bathroom facilities were acceptable. Bed was comfortable (king size but actually 2 beds put together). Air conditioning worked well and was quiet. Not a quiet area but I suspect that cannot be helped when you are in Rome. First night was noisy because of trash pick-up and street cleaning but the next few nights were fine.

We were told we could save 10% of the entire cost of stay if we paid cash. So, our intentions were to do that. However, after reviewing the exchange rate and that my credit card company was offering 5% cash back on hotel charges, I decided I would pay by credit card instead. Ooops! That was not acceptable (to my huge surprise)! Once you have made a committment, you're supposed to stick to that committment. I didn't have that much cash, they conceded to allow me to pay as much cash as I could and charged the difference on my credit card.

So, my overall experience was good. I did enjoy my stay at this hotel.

Each room is supposed to have an aquarium (odd - small with a guppy), fruit basket (wasn't there), welcome drink (ice tea or juice) and a tiny bottle of red wine in your room was actually not bad.

Breakfast was great, the bathroom facilities worked well and quiet air conditioning.

• Written February 9, 2011

Breakfast

• SJTravel profile photo SJTravel
  • Reviews: 162

Morpheus Rooms: No Frills Hotel in a Central Location

This place is a no frills hotel. It is basically a small lobby with rooms on the 4th and 5th floor. The double beds are 2 twins beds put together. It is nice because if you share a bed with someone who moves a lot on their side, your side will stay still. However, if you both lay towards the middle of the bed, the two twins will start to push apart. They share on sheet (so you don't know they are 2 beds unless you see them put it together (which we did) or until you sleep on it). Other than that, the room is fine. They have a fine working heater, a nice bathroom, and they offer you a ticket to have breakfast at a nearby cafe every weekday morning. On the weekends, you eat in their small kitchen (you have to make reservations because it is so small). The best thing about this place is the central location. It is located one block away from Via Nazionale, a quick walk to may of the sites like the Colosseum and the Forum. It is about a 10 minute walk to Termini Station. The price I indicated below is for off peak season. The cost during peak season can be up to $90 a person which is sort of not worth the stay for the amenities.

The Cafe that you have breakfast at on the weekdays has a very friendly staff. The pastries are very delicious. It doesn't seem like you get much, but it is very filling. I have been to Rome before and have had to eat breakfast in a similar fashion, at other cafe's they make you eat and drink standing up. At this cafe, you can sit down and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. The hotel can be loud if you have loud people living near you. On the weekend, one of the workers (possibly the owner) had his baby there and the baby would not stop crying and you could here it in the room. The TV doesn't work well because it doesn't get a very good signal. You get a view of a small street, not noisy. Close to a grocery store and some other small restaurants and a bakery.

• Written January 23, 2011

• RoscoeGregg profile photo RoscoeGregg
  • Reviews: 229

The Bee Hive Hostel/Hotel: Great Social Place

This well located hostel is an island of calm in a busy city. It was easy to find and conveniently located. I arrived after a long night train tide and was put at ease by the friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. I was traveling alone so went the dorm route. I am in my 50s so this is often looked on a bit eccentric at many hostels. Not here the dorm was clean and spacious. The staff was very aware of security and privacy.

The feel was friendly and alternative. The lounge was inviting and internet was available wirelessly and at a communal computer that worked well. The restaurant provided a great breakfast. I would recommend this place to my mom so if you are in Rome check it out.

This hostel/hotel is not a luxury hotel (thank god for that). It is a clean friendly and attractive hostel. I found the staff extremely helpful and plugged in. Atmosphere is hard to quantify but this place has a great relaxed atmosphere. From the delicious healthy food in the café to the décor exuded “relax and make yourself at home we got it covered”.

I used the dorm this time as I was alone. They offer private rooms and I will be getting one of those the next time Barbara visit Rome.

If you want to stay here be sure to make advance arrangements as they tend to fill up.

If you enjoy a more dynamic and casual accommodation I wholeheartedly recommend the Bee Hive.

• Related to: Singles, Food and Dining, Budget Travel
  • Written January 8, 2011
Tip Photo

The view from the couch on the lounge

• Bunsch profile photo Bunsch
  • Reviews: 554

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Best Western Hotel Riviera, Fiumicino: If you can find it...

We didn't want to have to schlep out from Rome before our morning flights, and really didn't want to drive in Rome at all. A helpful (?) travel agent found this particular hotel, which advertised a shuttle service to the airport, and it seemed like a viable and relatively inexpensive option. Ah, well, this is how we learn!

In fact, the Hotel Riviera was nearly impossible to find. After more than an hour of driving around Fiumicino (and even consulting the local police), we finally located it and were able to check in. Our room had no working A/C on a day when the temperatures had soared and humidity was high. Fortunately, another room was available and the climate control there worked well. Then we discovered that the shuttle wasn't free, and didn't operate at especially convenient times. There was only one computer, which was constantly busy with people trying to check-in on-line. And I'm fairly sure that breakfast consisted of donuts...not even a piece of fruit.

But having said all of that, very early on the morning of our departure, I walked the three blocks to the beach and was completely entranced by the sea wall, through which waves would crash and foam onto a semi-circular area of sand. This format was repeated up and down the strand, so obviously it is one of the ways Italians enjoy their seashore without the dangers of riptides or the erosion from all the wave action. I would have LOVED to have surfed there, but I only had time to wade for a few minutes.

Proximity to the beach. And others seem to like it, so perhaps I was just tired and cranky.

• Written December 11, 2010

Riviera (website photo)

• rapeji65 profile photo rapeji65
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

ATICO ALEX: RENTAL IN ROME

We have rented an Apartment for a week through a company named RENTAL IN ROME. I am sorry to say that this was an unmitigated disaster. We were two full days without water, but at the same time they were leaks falling all over the bathroom and the kitchen. They promises us to reduce a part of our bill for the disturbance but, of course, they never did!!

The apartment was quite different from the images they presented in their web, dirty, and unconfortable. Finally, we have been trying for two weeks to obtain a bill for our payment but they do not provide any answer. So my conclusion is that we should recommend NOT TO RENT TO "RENTAL IN ROME"

The apartment was aparantly well situated in the historic center, but lacks of any facility and views are only fo roofs and antennas

• Related to: Historical Travel
  • Written November 2, 2010

• windoweb profile photo windoweb
  • Reviews: 356

Ludovisi Palace Hotel: Ludovisi Palace Hotel

This is an old building dating back to early 1900s. The best thing to do in Rome is take off by foot and explore. There is so much to see and do. Go out and enjoy the locals. The baroque churches are a must see as well as the beautiful gardens and fountains.

The open top bus tours has a stop on the Via Veneto at the end of our road, which is very convenient.

• Related to: Wine Tasting, Arts and Culture, Hiking and Walking
  • Written October 6, 2010

Ludovisi Palace Hotel

• gmg61 profile photo gmg61
  • Reviews: 408

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Chopin: Weird but good located for the airport

The hotel looks weird, retro, old fashioned and with excessive deco, but it's located just few km from Fiumicino Airport (Rome) and has good rates.
If you don't mind about the ambience it could be a good choice for the night before the flight.

They don't accept credit cards

• Written September 21, 2010

• orix profile photo orix
  • Reviews: 73

Hotel Medici: Medici

Very quite street not far from Piaza Republica and Termini. Room clean and nice. Breakfast is very basic so don't get your hopes high.

Center but not too much, good restuarant walking distance.

• Written August 28, 2010
Tip Photo

• livfaith profile photo livfaith
  • Reviews: 97

Stargate Hotel: Comfortable and Cheap

Stayed for three nights in November 2009. This hotel is near the train station and from the outside looks very unprepossessing. In fact, it shares a building with several other budget hotels and our room was actually in a building across the street. However, after this unpromising beginning, the room was very nice - well decorated, nice bathroom, comfortable beds - much better than expected in this price range. I would recommend skipping the breakfast though - there are far more tasty alternatives to be found in the cafes nearby.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Historical Travel
  • Written August 16, 2010

• lambada profile photo lambada
  • Reviews: 2

Hotel Stella: Good Value

I spent 3 nights at this hotel in June 2010. The room was extremely clean and reasonably quiet. The shower could have been a bit bigger but the bathroom was in great condition. Breakfast was somewhat poor. Just cereal, one piece of bread, one croissant and a selection of jams, butter and two juices. The location is ideal because it is only 5 minutes away from Termini station. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Related to: Architecture, Budget Travel, Museum Visits
  • Written June 29, 2010

• JFN41 profile photo JFN41
  • Reviews: 13

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Rosa Dominican Convent: Pleasant and Affordable Accommodations-Rome

For a recent visit to Rome, I decided well in advance to try a convent for the first time. I chose the Dominican Sisters convent, "Villa Rosa" in the beautiful Aventine section of the city. I spent six days there.
I only regret that I have not tried this before.
The building’s appearance does not suggest that it might be a convent and upon entering, large, bright rooms greet the visitor. Hardly the feel of a cloister.
A short staircase takes one to the lift from the second level on up.

The cost per night for a room with private bath was 5O Euros, breakfast included. They also have rooms for less with a shared bathroom.
Both the room and the private bath were a good size with high ceilings, a large comfortable bed and double windows overlooking the garden, the patio and the Palm trees below.
The dutiful cleaning staff provided fresh linens regularly and kept the place spotless.

An important feature of this convent is that there is no curfew. For a modest deposit of 5 Euros, you receive a key to the front door that allows you to come and go as you choose.
Your deposit is refunded when you return your key at checkout.

The refrigerator in the first floor breakfast room is available day and night and it is kept stocked with water, soda and, when I was there, Heinekens beer. The suggested contribution on the door was 1 Euro for a can of Heinekens. It was half that for Coke, Sprite and bottled water. They may even have had juice. This is all on the honor system, no cash register or third parties involved.

Villa Rosa sits at the top of a relatively short street, Via delle Terme Deciane # 5. This street begins at Via del Circo Massimo, which runs along the Circus Maximus across from Palatine Hill.
The well-groomed street is also home to the Norwegian Embassy next door to Villa Rosa and the U.S. Embassy to the Vatican.

To contact the convent, the telephone number is +39.06.5717.091 and fax # is +39.06.5745.275.
I did most of my corresponding by email. The email address is villarosa2000@libero.it, attention Sr. Christina McGarry.
Sister Christina is a very pleasant person and was very helpful both before and during my stay. Sr Christina and her staff were always as courteous as they were efficient.

The Villa Rosa, Sister Christina and her staff made this visit to Rome an especially memorable one, one I certainly hope to repeat.

The Villa Rosa is very well connected to public transport with a bus stop right outside the front door and a Blue Line Metro stop at Circo Massimo, only a short walk from the Convent. Both the bus and the subway take you to the Colosseum, into the center of Rome and on to Termini train station. In the opposite direction, the Metro takes you out to sites such as the Pyramid of Cestius and the Basilica of St Pauls Outside the Walls.
There are so curfews

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Singles, Religious Travel, Family Travel
  • Written May 22, 2010

The Villa Rosa and Via Terme Deciane

• johnineurope profile photo johnineurope
  • Reviews: 1

Campo Fiori Botticelli: Rome vacation apartment

Actually, I am not so enthusiast about VRBO. I've tried it a couple of times, experiencing a basic service, and properties which were not exactly as seen in their website. I travel often to Rome. Sometimes on business, for which I used this website http://www.bbroma.com. I usually found clean apartments and fair prices. I also travelled with my family, which entailed different requirements. We tried a few apartment rental agencies, and we chose http://www.romanhomes.com. We stayed at this apartment in the Campo Fiori district http://www.romanhomes.com/vacation_rentals/apartments/4_star/botticelli.htm
It had 2 double bedrooms, an ample sitting room and separate dining room, and 2 bathrooms. We enjoyed the patio. The staff was helpful at all times.
My suggestion for you is to go through an extensive feedback with the owner or agent, which will enable you to understand also their dedication. Also, although there is a multitude of apartments offered by agencies / owners, beware about low prices or low quality. Even with reportedly quality apartments you could be disappointed, so think about if you pursue low prices.

Quality of the apartment. Extensive, accurate feedback from the agency. Helpful staff. Silence. Cleanliness. Limo service. Used also their "Roman cook at your home", which was just great!

• Related to: Seniors, Luxury Travel, Family Travel
  • Written April 17, 2010
Tip Photo

The patio of the apartment

• kbsunnyside profile photo kbsunnyside
  • Reviews: 59

www.romanreference.com: RomanReference.com Apartments in Rome

A number of apartments in varied locations and price ranges are available. I stayed in one of their apartments for a few weeks while looking for my own place and for a much later week long (too short) vacation. (Both near p.za Vittorio)

I recommend this type of accomondation for people who really want to enter Roman life more than in a hotel or for families. You can become more a part of the neighborhood and save money having your own kitchen.

You can choose by price, date and/or location on the website. The apartments vary in size, amenties and modernity and the office staff can help you find what you need. Many are available weekly or longer, but some are also rented for shorter periods.

• Written March 31, 2010

• Dodo22 profile photo Dodo22
  • Reviews: 121

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Appartamento San Teodoro: Not recommended

We booked this apartment for 4 nights for our stay in Rome at the end of a wonderful 6 week trip around Northern Italy. We had been staying in a mix of apartments, and small, local hotels and knew all about places being small and that the bathroom/toilet facilities were not always up to the same standard that we get in NZ. This placed however was the worst. I don't mind small but this was ridiculous. The bed was located on a mezzanine floor above the main part of the apartment which I dont' have a problem with. The problem was that you couldn't stand upright in it and the stairs to get to it were very narrow and steep. We had to walk backwards to get down them. The lounge/kitchen and dining area was all in one, but the couch took up most of the room and was the only place that we could put our bags (no room upstairs) and so we only had the two very uncomfortable dining chairs to sit on. The kitchenette was dirty and in the cupboards were remains of food from other prevoius guests. It was not well equipped with plates or cutlery (which we had to wash prior to use) and they had a very unsafe electrical plug board in which to plug in the jug and anything else.

The bathroom was dirty, there was a hole in the tile wall which had been covered up with duck tape and the shower leaked (sprayed - all over the bathroom from a broken fitting where the shower head attaches to the spout coming out the wall. We ended up having to tie a hand towel around it to try and stem the flow of water and get some water out the nozzle so that we could have a showed.

The photos on their website were a little misleading so choose carefully when picking somewhere to stay.
Next time I would spend quite a bit more for comfort and facilities - Rome is a tiring City at the best of times and you need somewhere comfortable to go back to and rest before tackling the next activity and this was definitely NOT one of those places.

The good points were that it was quiet and was in a great central location right by the Roman Forum and a 10 minute walk from Piazza Venezia.

Think carefully before you stay here.

It is described as being in a "majestic Ixth century building" but I am not sure when that was (maybe when it was originally built) but now its very run down.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Photography
  • Written February 13, 2010

Living, dining and kitchen

• annahill profile photo annahill
  • Reviews: 6

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Seccy Hotel: Hotel Near Fiumicino

If you really want to stay by the airport I can recommend a great hotel. We had to stay there because we missed our flight. It is called the Seccy Hotel and is near the airport. They have a shuttle which costs 15 euro and is very efficient. The hotel is run by a very nice family who go out of thier way to make their guests fill at home. The hotel is super clean and the room and bathroom were the largest and nicest of any we stayed in during our trip to Italy. There is not a lot going on in the area, but there is a good restaurant around the corner and you can walk down to the river promenade for seafood. I booked them at the last minute in October 09 and paid about $100 US dollars. I booked all of my hotels for my Italy trip through Venere.com and was happy with all of them except for the one in Venice. I think that had to do with the fact that Venice is very expensive and you probably have to spend a little more than I was willing to pay for a place to sleep. Anyway have a look at Venere.com, the reviews and pictures are very acurate. Good luck.

• Related to: Business Travel, Seniors, Beaches