Maian Bed and Breakfast

Maian B&B
AMOMA.com Travelocity Hostelworld.com

More about Rome

Temple of Castor and PolluxTemple of Castor and Pollux

Artemis (in the middle)Artemis (in the middle)

Church of Sts Marcellinus and Peter - ceilingChurch of Sts Marcellinus and Peter - ceiling

My friend showing the soon to be empty-wallet.My friend showing the soon to be empty-wallet.

Fiumcino and Alitalia Connecting Flights

by greamer

Greetings -- This is my first post, but I think the people here are more knowledgeable than CruiseCritic. I am arriving FCO on an Alitalia flight from Genoa on 10/16/08 courtesy of cruiseline's air/sea program. It arrives at 8:35 a.m. in Terminal A, and I have to connect with a New York flight on Alitalia leaving at 9:55 a.m from Terminal C. Baggage will be checked all the way through, but how to I effect the connection from Terminal A to C without leaving a security-cleared area and having to do it all over again? I have only 80 minutes for this dance. I have looked for maps of the airport, etc., but can't come up with more than a drawing. Does Alitalia offer any assistance in all this; I can't find any help on their website. Am U.S. citizen using U.S. passport.
Regards, George

Re: Fiumcino and Alitalia Connecting Flights

by leics

Don't panic...it'll be fine. It might be different if your bags aren't being checked through, but they are.

You might have to go through security/passport control (almmost certainly will) and back again but your bags won't. They'll stay airside.

Fiumicino is not a massive airport such as, for example, Frankfurt. It won't be difficult to get from one terminal to another. The plan here:

shows you how quick it will be to walk from A to C (which is also B, sort of), even if you do have to come out of security and then go back in again.

80 minutes will be ample time....if you are at all worried, just ask the Alitalia staff at the airport/on the plane to assist you.

Re: Fiumcino and Alitalia Connecting Flights

by qaminari

You arrive from Genoa at Terminal A because this is within Schengen (equivalent to domestic travel in the U.S.) and have to leave from Terminal C because you are taking a non-Schengen flight (equivalent to international in the U.S.), therefore while nothing happens on arrival at Terminal A, when leaving from Terminal C you WILL have to show your passport and you WILL go through security checks on yourself plus handbaggage before you can board the plane.
When you arrive at Terminal A just follow the signs to Terminal C - you can ask for assistance if you think this is justified: http://www.adr.it/servizispeciali/en_intransito_fiumicino.html
90 minutes is the normal recommended transit time, but 80 minutes should be fine as long as you don't dawdle before the security check in Terminal C.

Travel Tips for Rome

Service for the Handicapped

by tini58de

While browsing the web, I found this website for the visually handicapped: Romaccessibile.it.

For the physically handicapped I found a website in Italian, that has pretty good maps and tips for wheelchair access to different areas and places: http://www.comune.roma.it/accacomune/.

Fancy a day out from Rome - try a trip to the beac

by LauraZ

If you have had enough of Rome and all have induced all the architecture and history you can take, why not take a break and go to the beach?

I went to Santa Marinella just north of Rome. It’s not a touristy place, it’s pretty much full of local Italian people. It’s not a huge beach but it’s not bad for the short 38 min train ride from Rome. It cost £7 Euro for 2 single tickets. I checked the time tables online before I went here: www.trenitalia.com You can buy tickets at the main train station in Rome, (Termini) and then you just need to find out what platform it leaves from and away you go!

The beach is private from what I can make out, but that does not mean you cannot go, it just means you have to pay 2 Euros to get on it. You have to pay for deckchairs/lounges if you want to, but be warned it was not cheap. I think because it is local they thought arrrhaaa tourist we will charge them loads! So we did not hire them, we had towels. It’s was quiet full and not a wide beach but it was a nice day trip.

There is a stop before Santa Marinella called Santa Servere, and I think that ebach might be free and not private as lots of people got off there. I am not sure though so don’t take my word for it. I could not find any information about that place so that is why I did not get off there.

Good Pub

by Jmill42 about Nag's Head

This was one of the bars that I went to on my pub crawl. This one I actually remember, whihc says alot. It has a small dance area, I guess the norm in Roma, and has great drinks served by good looking people. It has only a few places to sit, but with all the dancing goingon, you pretty much suck if you are sitting.

I will say that I learned a valuable Italian slang saying about how I became later on that night. The saying is either:

"Andiamo Ensieme" or more appropriately,
"Vado Ensieme".

When you are drunk, you are like two different people. The one who got drowned under all the liquor a long time ago and the one that everyone is laughing at at this moment. When you are drunk and you pass out, my Italian friends say "I go together", or "We go together" if everyone in the whole group is drunk.

I am pretty sure that I misspelled those, but I was taught very well how to say them!

Humble but historic Trattoria

by griffiths1971 about Fiaschetteria Beltramme

2 minute walk from the Spanish Steps, in the Northern district of Rome, located in a very smart street near the Via Condotti. Deliberately understated place frequented by locals, artists, shopkeepers, society ladies and - on one famous occasion - by pop star Madonna. The interior is little more than a long single room whose walls are topped with wicker-covered wine bottles and almost completely covered in paintings left, bought or donated by locals over the years. The Food is simple, well cooked and thoroughly Roman. You can't book, so turn up and hope. When the weather is fine you can sit outside and watch the world go by. Be aware that credit cards are not taken, opening hours are Mon-Sat noon-3, 7:30-10:30, Closed on Sundays. Pasta with creamy asparagus sauce.

Sights of Rome

by tattybilly

The way to see everything in Rome is to walk. We went in January and the weather was lovely. We walked everywhere and saw all the sights plus more.
Our hotel was about 20 mins walk from the city and did a good buffet breakfast to set us up for the day.

Comments