Martini

Booking.com Hotels.com Venere.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Rome

Pie di MarmoPie di Marmo

The Church that houses the head of St. CatherineThe Church that houses the head of St. Catherine

Across the street...Across the street...

A Classic Vespa, The Beloved Motorini Of Italy!A Classic Vespa, The Beloved Motorini Of Italy!

Rome: off the beaten path things to see/do?

by CanadianInRome

I would like to know if you have any off the beaten path interests that you'd like to share. I'm looking for cool restaurants, things to see/do, scenic points... anything really! It's always interesting to hear what people have to say about Rome! If you've got any hidden gems I'd love to know about them.

by unaS

Put ROME into the Search box on the upper right of any VT page and you will get so many Tips (recommendations/not) that it will make your head spin :)

They are sublisted as: To Do, Off the Beaten Path, Restaurants, and so on.

by craic

i loved the english cemetery where keats is buried (among many others) near the Pyramide station

and the rose garden (not open all year round) near circo massimo

by mccalpin

But if we told you about them, they wouldn't be hidden, would they? ;-)

Well, if you have the chance, try to get tickets for the Scavi tour - this is a tour through the excavations (hence "Scavi") under St. Peter's Basilica. The main attraction for Christians is that it's likely that the Vatican has discovered St. Peter's final resting place...but it is just plain fascinating to be walking under the floor of St. Peter's through a 1st century alley in a Roman cemetery, complete with tombs as small houses on the left and right...which is more fascinating, that the alley way hasn't changed in 2,000 years (because it was buried up until WWII) or that you are walking under a 10-story bronze baldacchino over the main altar which is under the main dome of the largest church in Christendom?

Bill

by Beausoleil

It's certainly no secret, but not visited as much as other things on the tourist list . . . the Palatine Hill. We were at the Coliseum and the ticket includes the Palatine Hill so we trooped up to see what was there and were absolutely charmed. You leave the hustle and bustle behind, walk through lovely gardens, visit a small church and museum and best of all, you have views over all of Rome that are amazing. It is very peaceful and beautiful. Highly recommended.

by worldinabag

Hi

Well if you're into the macabre check out - http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/chills_thrills.htm. And the Vatican with a twist - http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20040112_en.html. If you want to learn about its history - http://www.time-elevator.it/en/

by acprincess

I'm quite fond of the Capuchin catacombs.

There's a bakery on the Campo di Fiore that makes amazing pizza bianca.

by pedroswift

Cool Eatery?
de p.

by sirgaw

Another vote for the Capuchin catacombs and when you see the Monks be reminded that the name of the coffee drink capuchino is derived from the Monks hood.

by monorailgold

I, too, like the Crypt of the Capucchin monks as well as the Knights of Malta Keyhole. Another site that doesn't get visited as much is the Baths of Caracalla. Really an amazing site.

Donna

Travel Tips for Rome

The Small Buses Touring All Around

by MagicMixer

My day often started arriving at Piazza de Popolo. I came from the camping early with bread,ham,a tomato and milk ( from the local store = maximum 2 Euro altogether ) to enjoy my breakfast sitting there watching people walking by.
At the south end ( between the twin churches ) you get on the small buses
( about every quarter ) and they take you south towards Piazza Venezia and the Colloseum and around back if you want.
Included in weekly or daily tickets !! Sharing my tiny breakfast with an old, partly crippled man. ( NOT a beggar , just hungry )
He spoke of course no English, I speak no Italien, BUT we had a nice little conversation .........in German.
He learned during the war, I learned at school

Packing List

by cuckoo

My 'newly discovered' must take item this year was the Mini Rough Guide to Rome book.
ISBN 1-85828-599-2

This proved to be invaluable. It is small enough to put in your bag, yet is also full of great ideas and advice. Normally I would not carry a guide book around with me, part of the fun is getting lost and discovering new places, but going with Daniel, I find that I need to keep his enthusiasm going, and reading about the places that we see is one way of doing that.

Grocery shopping with the locals

by monica71 about Di per Di Supermarket

Since we decided to rent an apartment while vacationing in Rome, we wanted to find a supermarket where the locals shop for groceries, fresh fruit and veggies, etc.
Di per Di was the place that served this purpose while we were in town. It is very popular with locals and you will not find too many tourists here. The store is not very big (nothing is big in Rome), but it carries a large variety of meat and meat produce, dairy, veggies and fruit, bread and baked goods, juices, house cleaners, deodorants, etc. We got very tasty fruit from here, several natural juices (sugar free and no preservatives in them), excellent cheese (a variety of them that were fresh and tasted extraordinary) and excellent panettone (chocolate filled ones, with dried fruit, etc).
There are several locations in Rome, but we shopped at the one located close to the Pantheon, few steps away from Via del Gesu. groceries, local sweets and breads, local cheese and local salamis

Turtle Garden

by grandmaR about Ciampini Ristorante

We stopped early for lunch at this restaurant overlooking Rome. It was originally named Cafe du Jardin and was a simple bar. In 1989, Marco Ciampini turned it into a restaurant and ice cream shop My grandson is a picky eater like his mom. He liked pizza, steak and hamburger. Since pizza wasn't available, he ordered a cheeseburger, and fries, and it came with BBQ sauce. I knew he didn't want that for his fries, so I asked for catsup for him, and when he switched the little pot of BBQ sauce off his plate, it slopped all over the tablecloth. I had a chicken salad which was good. There was a 2 € charge for the bread, which my grandson mostly ate.

After we ate, I had a cup of coconut gelato. It would have been 6€ if I had it at the table, but if I took it out it was only 2€. I think Sandro was wary of my eating in the car, but he let me get in while I was still eating, and I put the cup in my bag so it wouldn't make the car messy

Great Pizza Rustica near Piazza del Popolo

by abarbieri about Pizza Rustica

This is a very popular way to eat pizza in Rome. It is not the round one served in a regular pizzeria, but the one you buy by weight. It is also called pizza a taglio.
It is open all day but it gets particularly busy at lunch time between 1 and 2 pm. You can eat standing inside or take away. It can be a good option if you decide to do a pic-nic inside Villa Borghese that is located just around the corner.
They also have Lasagna and Calzoni