Via Labicana 144, Rome, Lazio, 00184, Italy

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

great location!

Stayed 3 nights in December 07. Reliable Mercure "product". Decent rooms, good buffet breakfast, pleasant bar.

All staff professional and friendly, in marked contrast to much of what I have heard about other Rome hotels, even down to a 1st class recommendation for a nearby restaurant.

Roof terrace bar and pool (not in December!).

€166 per night (inc breakfast + all tax) on a cheap (pay in advance) deal.

Unique Quality: Location + View of colosseum

Directions: Labicana is one of the main roads off the Colosseum "circle", heading east. 2 minute walk to Colosseum metro.

More about Mercure Roma Delta Colosseo

We would definitely stay there again...but

by TripAdvisor Member daviduk

The positives are:

- great position : about 300 yards from the Colloseum
- views from the room and the roof terrance
- smallish swimming pool on the roof and sun loungers (but v little shade)
- very nice bar on the roof which serves bar food
- internet access

Negatives

- ours was a small room with narrow windows and a very small bathroom
- reception staff are not overhelpful though they do give you a very good guidebook when you arrive

For us, the plusses outweighed the minuses. Nowhere else in Central Rome has a pool at anywhere near this price

Excellent hotel/Location

Stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights, great location, looks down onto the colosseum. The pool and roof top terrace was a great added feature, especially for a place to relax after a full day sight seeing. Two metro stops nearby which are handy for getting around, we used the metro the whole time.

The hotel room was spacious and clean, couldn't have asked for better. The breakfast was good with choices of hot or cold food.

A good restaurant nearby if you turn right from the hotel and head down to the colessum over on the left at the lights called the 'Royal'. Go to the upstairs terrace, amazing view over looking the colosseum when it is all lit up and they have a guy playing the piano, food good and staff friendly. Also very romantic.

Camera stolen from locked room!

by TripAdvisor Member UKBurkey

We stayed here with our two small children in August 2005. We had been worried by some reviews but were pleasantly surprised by the welcome from the hotel staff. We drove down from Tuscany and found parking in the basement a nightmare with a large car. The elevator is up several steps and through a fire door - it's best to unload outside the hotel entrance. I dropped our car back at Termini and walked back - it took me around 15 minutes.

We had booked a room for two adults and two children but had been allocated a twin room with no beds for the children. The hotel gave us two double rooms for the first night and then moved us to a family room for the rest of our stay.

It was on our first morning there, just before we changed rooms that we had our camera stolen from our locked hotel room. We spent a morning at the police station reporting the theft and talking to the manager etc. We had to follow it through all the time with the hotel, they never even apologised! The next day after some more chasing they eventually said that only the maid had entered the room to check the mini-bar while we were away, no one else. They promised to write to us on our return to England but six weeks later we have heard nothing.

I wouldn't leave anything valuable in your room if you stay here and luck your luggage at all times. They rely on the fact that people are having short stays and will find it difficult to complain.

Our first room was tiny with a massive pilar right at the end of the bed. The second room much better but the back end of the day bed was missing leaving a four foot wooden slat hanging from the wall with screws protruding. Not great for a kid's bed, after all the complaining over incorrect bookings and then the theft I just couldn't be bothered with moaning about the state of the wall.

The breakfast was great, I think that they have made changes and have a very efficient manager now. The kids loved the rooftop pool, it was very cold even in August but great for cooling off after a day in Rome.

There are several buses that depart from outside the hotel that go right up to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain (we used the 85 or the 117 small electric bus.) Get of on Via Del Corso. The Metro station (Colosseo) isn't far and was manageable even with the buggy/stroller. The receptionists have lots of maps and will sketch the route for you.

The church of St. Celemente is near and well worth a visit.

If staying here it's well worth calling ahead and checking that your booking and room are what you think you have booked and note the name of the person you speak to, they all speak very good English.

Perfect location with spacious rooms

We stayed in this hotel from 29 sept to 2 october 2005.
The rooms were very spacious. The carpet was not very clean but apart of this it was a nice hotel. The swimming pool was ok but to cold due to weather conditions.
Rooms are well isolated and airco was ok.
The breakfast was not was you should expect from such a hotel. No fresh fruit, no fresh orange juice, limited choise of bread.
But the location close to the Colosseum was very nice.

Spot on place

by TripAdvisor Member colgregg

I'd read mixed reviews about this hotel so was slightly apprehensive but I had no problems at all on my 3 nights 18Th - 21St Oct. The room was fine. It was clean and and was always well attended to by the hotel staff. There was always plenty to eat for breakfast, my one nag about this is they seemed to struggle at times to keep a supply of glasses and crockery going.

The Hotel's situation 2 mins away from the Colloseum was Ideal. I booked a month in advance and got a non refundable price of £314 for 3 nights which for 3 of us (2 adults 1 child) was exceptional value.
Reception staff were helpful and the hotel has a safe area for stowing luggage so on check out day you can leave cases there and pick up later. They will also get taxis for you although I'm convinced I paid more for these taxis that the one I got for myself which charged me almost 4 euros less for my hotel - Vatican ride.

Friendly and well located Hotel

Great location, five minutes walk to the Colosseo and the Forum. Very friendly staff on reception and behind the bar.
Try to get a room at the front of the hotel.
View from the roof bar is breathtaking, nice pool but only 1 metre deep.
Lots of little bars were the locals drink close at hand but try the Cafe Art opposite the Collosseo for entertainment and quality food and drink.

Not a 4 star - a below average 3 star.

by TripAdvisor Member ilockyer

Stayed here for 2 nights October 2005. Excellent location a few hundred metres from the Colesseum. This made us feel better after paying the going rate for a taxi from Ciamponi Airport which is 50 euros for a 10 mile journey, what a rip off! Get a bus to termini and use the metro if you can carry your bags. Receptionist staff friendy and helpful, no-one however to help with baggage (airport style trolleys provided at front door!!) Room we got was a double room, extremely small but clean. I think the walls were made of cardboard as I could hear my neighbour going to the toilet - not very pleasant!! Breakfast average. To summarise the hotel is advertised as a 4 star on the hotels website but it is really a below average 3 star.

3-star in fact, great location

by TripAdvisor Member PawelL

Spent 3 nights in August. The hotel is situated a few hundred meters from the Colosseo – I could see it every time I looked through the window. The rooms are terribly small – I got a single room with a king-size bed, which actually was the main piece of the furniture in the room. Too small, indeed. Breakfast was average, nothing special. A real plus for the hotel for the pool no the roof with a pool bar and a splendid view towards Forum Romanum and the Colosseo. Another for free Mercure shuttle service from and to Termini Station (I arrived there from Fiumicino Airport). And free Internet access in lobby.

Hit and miss - motel 6 quality

by TripAdvisor Member Gfrancisco

I stayed in this hotel for 8 nights - part work/ part holiday. The first night I was given a small, dark, musty room with a queen size bed which was really 2 smaller beds put together with a noticeable joiner going down the middle of the bed. The room was so small that I thought I was given a room that had some shared community bathroom out in the hall, but it turned out the bathroom was the size of a closet. I've never seen a shower with a trifold sliding door but that was the only way to fit this shower in this small bathroom. I'm 5'1" and very petite, and even I had trouble showering in the tiny shower in this bathroom without constantly hitting my elbows on the wall. The shower head was old and had mildew damage on the head - and smelled it too. The carpet looked dirty and spotted - there was also an area that had an iron burn on it. Looking out the window I could see the adjacent park and all of the fire escapes of the hotel - it was a very gloomy, jail like view. The worst part was that the room's heater was not working, and as they had no more non-smoking rooms that night, they could not move me. With 30 degree weather outside, and being pregnant I had to bundle up to go to bed that night. Breakfast every day at this hotel was pretty much the same - the usual continental selection with some hot selections - scrambled eggs, fried eggs, soggy bacon, and little sausages. Nothing very tasty but was edible. The internet access they advertise on their hotel description is actually no longer available - they have signs at all the computers stating that due to new anti-terrorism laws that the free internet access was no longer avaiable. The paid Vodafon wifi access in the area is very weak and drops frequently. The rooftop with the view that's advertised is not accessible except in the summer months. The room that I was switched to was a much better room - it was a real queen - not two beds pushed together. And the bathroom was of reasonable size with a shower/tub - no musty issues in that room. Good view of the collosseum. If I had been given this room from the beginning I would have rated this place a little higher - though even in the hallways of the hotel, the carpet is noticeably spotty and as another reviewer had put it - the walls are like cardboard and you can hear all of your neighbors and hallway noise - bring ear plugs. This place gives the bare minimum that you would expect at a motel in the U.S. - no concierge (reception can't even recommend a restuarant in the neighborhood), luggage assistance or hotel restaurant - just a place to sleep which hopefully if you're lucky - you get one of the decent rooms that they have. We walked to all the major areas of Rome from here - 2 minutes to the Colloseum; 5 to the Capitoleo; a brisk 15 minute walk to Pantheon; 30 minutes to the Vatican.

Where to stay....

by ChuckG

I'm hesitating between Starhotel Metropole and Mercure Roma Delta Colosseo...

Have you ever heard of these...i have to choose from a list and that's all that's located in the core of the city...

See you in 1 week !

Chuck

Re: Where to stay....

by baronedivandastad

No idea about Starhotel, but Mercure is a pretty safe choice (French, no-nonsense, good-value-for-money chain).
And staying near the Colosseo is a beater.
Catch you around some bar maybe?
mac

Re: Where to stay....

by apartmentinrome

hi.
if you need an accomodation please write me at claudio_cagliostro.com
or contact me at: 00393337978167
i've got some nice apartment in the center of rome.
if you need photos and prices i will send you.

best regads