Via Merulana 19, Rome, 00186, Italy
Hotels.com Venere.com Booking.com

More about Rome

The Orange Trees Garden seen from the keyholeThe Orange Trees Garden seen from the keyhole

Socialising in the barSocialising in the bar

scavi entrance to the left by little yellow signscavi entrance to the left by little yellow sign

Wonderfully light........Wonderfully light........

~Volunteering~

by jessica878

Hello -I'm new to the forum and travelling to Italy right after Christmas. I would like to know if anyone can recommend an organization or business that needs volunteering help, preferrably in Rome but anywhere in Italy is also welcome!

I have contacted both the Art Monastery Project and Centro d'Ompio, which are two great organizations that need work-trade helpers in exchange for meals and accommodation. Unfortunately they will both be closed during my visit in January.

If you have any experience, contact info, or advice regarding volunteering in Italy (especially during January) please reply!

by ranger49

I worked in a specialist service where volunteers were recruited, trained and used as part of an organised commumity programme. We frequently had to turn away people who came to us on an ad hoc basis, out of the blue, looking for immediate placements.
Our volunteers received a free training programme, travelling expenses + meals if away from their base for more than 4 hours in a day.
They were also provided with support and supervision.
Without knowing what specific skills or experience you have to offer in such a short period, when it seems your first choices are not available I think your quest could be in vain. But I wish you Good Luck anyway!

by monorailgold

I know the cat sanctuary is always looking for help. You can check with them when you get there to see if there is anything you can do for them.

Donna

by carolondon

I would look into WWOOFing = Willing Workers On Organic Farms
I have never used them, but my sister travelled through New Zealand volunteering on farms in exchange for a place to stay!

Travel Tips for Rome

Rome pass

by Turska

If you are looking for information about discount-cards,check this one
http://www.romapass.it/english/index.html I loved Rome a lot,because I love history.I loved Colosseum,Ostia Antica and many things.And good food ;) I will be going back soon,and this time I have got digital camera-no-one did,when we last time went at 1992!

eating

by tompt

Italians love to eat. At least that is what we noticed. There are many restaurants filled with customers to prove our point. But you can also have a snack on the street.
At many streetcorners there are people selling roasted chestnusts.

Museo dei Bersaglieri

by icunme

Location: Porta Pia, Piazzale omonimo

Opening time: Tues. and Thur. 9-13, other days on request for groups only • closed Sat. and Sun.
Admission free
public property

In 1870, the collapse of the French Empire (Napoleon III protected the State of the Church) left the pope without allies and on September 20, 1870 the Italian bersaglieri entered Rome through a breach near Porta Pia.

This museum is devoted to the history of Bersaglieri (an Italian light-infantry unit) and houses various materials on the many battles they valiantly fought. Bronze busts of the heroes of the Corps, among which Alessandro Lamarmora, Goffredo Mameli and Luciano Manara, are also on display.

Next tip - An impressive sculpture stands in the Piazza in front of the Porta Pia Gates honoring the Bersaglieri.

Metro of Rome

by daryll

There are limited trains service in Rome due
to archeological area around the city.

However, i always try to get into every each cities metro or subway, to feel how the transport system to compare other cities i've been.

To my opinion, metro in Rome was the worst experience. Its dirty, inefficient, lack of train services, and Dark. (scary)

Advantage of the metro in Rome, was the speed, able to take you from A to B only few seconds.

Famous place I'll avoid next time

by alza about Antico Caffè Greco

A famous café in Rome, opened in 1767 by a Greek. It's on via dei Condotti where I was just looking at shop-windows while vaguely trying to head back towards Piazza Barberini... I walked by it at the end of a long day, going towards the Trevi Fountain, and thought "why not?"

Inside is unique enough, reminded me of Austro-Hungarian cafés in a Roman setting, a place for the beautiful people. You can have a café at the bar, eat a nice pastry there too. But I went in to rest so I sat at a table. There were more waiters running around shouting clients's orders than customers practically. They really all were stepping over each other. Confusion reigns!

I had a barley coffee (4,50 Euros) and a nice orange cake (13 Euros) while writing down where I'd been and what photos I'd taken all day in my notebook. Before leaving the hostel that morning, I'd pulled out three pages of maps from my guidebook and I was using those maps to retrace my steps. I left them on my table to use the washrooms (1 Euro) and when I got back, my table had been cleared. I asked the waitress for my maps, she asked another waiter who asked another waiter... No one had seen any map. They told me there were NO maps on my table.

While I was eating my cake, I noticed 3 women having tea, with luxury shoppiing bags at their feet. They left and forgot a bag. They weren't even out the door yet, I immediately told the waitress, who went through the rigmarole again, telliing every other waiter about this. One waiter grabbed the bag and walked to the door, didn't look outside, just came back in and placed the bag in a hidden closet at the back, saying "They'll probably be back..."

I still had my guidebook to Rome for the 2 days I had left there but no maps for it and I missed that. So I gave my guidebook to a gal at the hostel before leaving Rome and now it's a job writing a Rome page without any references!

I didn't like the atmosphere at Caffè Greco at all... and it's quite expensive.

Comments