Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II - 105, Rome, Lazio, 00185, Italy

Expedia.com Travelocity Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

4 star at a nice price

Our companions had found Hotel Napoleon on the internet and, although we were planning to stay further down the lodging ladder, the difference between a 4 star "deal" and a 3 star regular price was not enough to be of concern. So we entered the world of Rome hotels.

As many Italian hotels are, the Napoleon is part of a large building on the north side of Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II. The lobby is downstairs. You then go up a small flight of stairs to either take the elevator to the restaurant/lounge floor or you walk a full flight of stairs. From THAT floor you take the elevator to the rooms. We were on the 5th floor. Some have complained about the view of a dirty courtyard, and to be fair the balcony wasn't set up for enjoyment. But I relished the glimpse of Italian life it offered. Perhaps as a consequence the windows were frosted, which did give one a strange feeling. The room was very pleasant and nicely decorated.

Unique Quality: The only odd thing was how small the shower footprint was. As there was no glass door, it became difficult to keep the shower curtain inside the lip of the showers. Most of our towels went for sopping up the floor afterward.

But that's a small price for the location and the excellent service from the front desk. One nice wrinkle was that they could sell us bus & metro tickets.

Directions: Right on the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II Metro stop and a few blocks from Termini.

• lindaloo76's Profile Photo

Convenient Location

We stayed in this hotel 2 years ago for my brothers wedding. We stayed at this hotel and from start to finish were treated brilliantly. The hotel was lovely, the rooms were a bit dark and there's no view to speak of but it really didn't bother me or affect my trip in the slightest. I know others have said that they didn't like the hotel but the location and the way they were with the wedding party overlooked any problems there may have been with the rooms. There wasn't a problem getting to anywhere from it as the Metro is literally outside the door.

The wedding reception was hosted at the hotel, we knew it was going to be in a lovely room that was like a study/lounge, looking in at it I wasn't sure how the room was going to be transformed. The following day after a great wedding in the Irish College, we came back to the hotel and the room was fantastic, they had supplied flowers for each table and had it decorated beautifully. The food came out and not one person in the room was unsatisfied, it was the nicest food that we had in Rome over the four days.

The breakfast is a buffet and there are plenty of options. The staff were fantastic from the reception to the porters, there was always a friendly hello when you walked past any member of staff.

I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat and when you get there say a big Bonjourno to Peter on reception for me!

• AVSENT's Profile Photo

NIce moderate hotel

Nice hotel with with much to offer. Nice restaurant, excellent staff (Speak several languages), good breakfast buffet (included), and right on the subway line (By far the best feature) one stop from Termini rail station-this allows easy access to almost all the sites and the airport.

Unique Quality: Very good authentic Italian food as well as other dishes, very hospitable staff, room wasn't to small (With older furnishings) but, very clean and also, had newer (renovated) bathroom, complete american style breakfast buffet (Included). Near Metro stop. Website that ranks with big hotels maybe better (more travel info).

Directions: 3 Blocks (1 subway stop) from Termini station.

• kbsunnyside's Profile Photo

Lively location

There is a small entrance lobby. On the next floor up are two very lare sitting rooms--one with a pc with free internet access. There is also a bar/restaurant there, but I have never eaten there.

There is also a good size breakfast room on this floor where they offer rolls, cheese, dry cereal, juices, danish and coffee in a very comfortable setting. Where you could possibly get chatting with fellow travelers.

The rooms are small--just large enough for the double bed that I have had. I have stayed there about 4 times over 5 years. Each room had a small balcony on the inner courtyard. There is a small television, phone, small desk and desk chair as well as an armoire in each room. I think there was a small refrigerator under the TV.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with nicely coordinated breadspread and curtains. The bathrooms have improved over time--but the shower may still overflow as the "pan" they put on the floor is not very deep and it is a cloth shower curtain that can sometimes stick to you. There are built in hair dryers and a small shelf above the sink.

Everything in this hotel works--elevator, bathroom and in-room air conditioning.

I live in the neighborhood, and so, think it's great. It is very well connected as there are buses and the metro right there and you are not far from Termini. If you're a walker you can walk from here to the historic center. Please note that you are NOT in the train station neighborhood.

Their prices have gone up and they wanted Euro 150 for last minute double in May. I think that is too much...although Roman hotels can be pricey. I think if you can get a price of Euro 90 it would be a good deal.

Unique Quality: I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful, including in the breakfast room. I don't know if they speak English.

• Hotel Napoleon

$200 usd

Unique Quality: We found this hotel by searching on Cheap Tickets. For our stay between Christmas and New Years, we paid $99 a night. The staff was polite and professional although few spoke more than one language. We were pleasantly surprised when the guests were invited to a reception in the bar with free drinks and appetizers. It was a nice mixer.
    The restaurant in the hotel is very good as well.
    Where this hotel excelled was location. You are a 10-15 minute walk from many things inlcuding, Termini Station (trains), the Colosseum, the Forum, Santa Maria Maggiore, etc. Directly in front of the hotel is the entrance to the Metro (Vittorio Station). We were a 15 minute train ride from the Vatican or the Spanish Steps.

Our window looked onto a trashy courtyard with people's laundry hanging out but we didn't mind it because we hardly spent anytime in our room except to sleep.
    Breakfast was nice with plenty of choices.

More about Napoleon Hotel

Enjoyed the Napoleon

We enjoyed our 4 night stay in late May early June at the Napoleon Hotel. The hotel is well located in that a metro stop is right outside the door. It is also only a 10 minute walk to the coloseum and forum after that. The staff is very friendly and helpful, Mario was especially so answering our many questions. The hotel is good value for the money. I would not ask for restaurant recommendations however.

Clean, Friendly, Dodgy Area

Stayed here for four nights last year. Reasonably priced, the rooms were small but not poky and the service was very friendly. I didn't try out the restaurant in the evening, but they served continental breakfast, which could have been a little more generous. Overall, while the hotel was clean, it could do with modernising.

The hotel fronted on to a market square, which was bustling during the day, but seemed unsafe at night-time. It is right next to an underground station and a few blocks from the Termini train station, which is very handy during the day, but I would recommend taxis in the late evening/night-time, for safety's sake.

good value and peaceful

I booked for a party of 8 in mid May 04 for 4 nights, each couple had a similar room which was small, clean and quite, the shower worked. All the rooms open to a inner courtyard instead of the busy street, if you want a view this isn't it, if you want to sleep at night this works. The hotel is situated near a metro stop not far from the main train station. The staff was helpful and courtious and even suggested a couple of very good restraunts, the meal at the hotel was also good.

A good choice for our 30th wedding anniversary break

by TripAdvisor Member Annathetraveller

We had pre-arranged with the hotel for a courtesy pick-up at the airport and were met by a nice old boy in an old Merc limo – a nice, comfortable way to arrive in Rome. As I spoke a bit of Italian, our driver pointed out a few landmarks on the way. The hotel check-in was smooth and pain-free. The staff were all very polite, courteous and helpful. We found the hotel to be spacious and comfortable with tasteful furnishings. It had a very large and comfortable lounge. The breakfast room was large and there was plenty of choice to suit everyone’s taste. The restaurant was small but very pleasant. During our stay we had one evening meal in the hotel restaurant which was very nice and very a reasonably price. For the other evenings we asked the Concierge to recommend a nearby restaurant and his recommendations were very good and only 5 minutes’ walk away. Our room was very comfortable (Room 318) and very spacious. However, I think this room was often used as a family room as I did notice the room next door had an extra single bed in it. It was a quiet, light and airy room and the air conditioning was very controllable, efficient and quiet when running. There was plenty of room for hanging clothes and storing suitcases. The bed was large and very comfortable. We did not have a nice view from the windows but this was made up by the quality of the room. The bathroom was very modern and clean (with a hairdryer for the ladies). The only quirky thing about the room was that the shaver socket for the men was in the bedroom (not in the bathroom). It was located next to the bathroom in the wardrobe/dressing area although there was a mirror nearby which could be used while shaving. The hotel was very well situated for walking to many of Rome’s famous landmarks and there is a Metro station right outside the hotel door. There are a few shops very close by if you were in need of any toiletries, extra underwear etc. At first glance it looks like the area around the hotel is a bit seedy but at no time did I feel worried about walking around during the day or evenings. All in all, a lovely hotel in a very convenient location and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who wanted to stay in the centre or Rome.

Just OK!

My girlfriend and I stayed there for just 1 night and we thought it was fine, but not where we would stay again. It's in the equivalent of Rome's Chinatown, and at night the area is not ideal. Our room looked out onto an alley and fire-escape and I was not all that happy with the service, but breakfast was very nice.

The hotel is fine, don't be too happy about rides to/from the airport, you need to stay 3-5 days to get that, but they did give us a ride for about $60US. You can take the train to/from the airport for about $5 and it only takes about 30 mins versus the hour the drive takes. (but the ride is nice if you have real luggage)

Generally, the hotel is fine and nice, but certainly not special, and there are better options-- for someplace nice and conveneint I would recommend BW Hotel Canada instead, it's in the same area but a better hotel for about the same money.

Comments