Ombelico del Mondo

More about Rome

DianaDiana

inside Roman Foruminside Roman Forum

San Giovanni in Laterano - High AltarSan Giovanni in Laterano - High Altar

And the bill which wasn't quite right...And the bill which wasn't quite right...

September concert in Rome 2008

by domenicococozza

Hi,
just wondered if anybody can help me with this one.
I am trying to find out if there is going to be a concert held at the Colloseum in September 2008, and if so, who is headlining.
I've exhausted all the websites I can think of but canont find any info at all.
It is, of course, possible that there will be no concert this year.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Dominic,

It's Elton John planning a concert just outside the Coliseum on Sept. 3rd.

by domenicococozza

Thanks Paul. I've got an Italian/Scottish uncle who asked me the question, so I'll pass it on.

No problem Dom.,

I found it here :

by cgf

that concert has been in Rome on Sep, 2005.. An other one this year?

by pfsmalo

You're right cqf. Sorry Dominic, funny enough I couldn't see the year anywhere on the site, but when cqf queried it I went and looked elsewhere and found . Sure enough it was 2005. Let you know if I find something for 2008.

by Bangorian

The link above (if it works) shows the concerts coming up for Rome. At the moment it only goes up to the end of May so you'll need to keep looking. Otherwise you need a music magazine for Rome .. did have a link but can't find it at the moment .. get back to you if I do

by Bangorian

Hmmm didn't work when I tried it but reducing the link does
Best of luck

by icunme

If this is a concert associated with the fantastic all-night White Nights party in Rome 2008, I'm not seeing a full schedule as yet but La Notte Bianca is set for Sept 3. I know that the Kirov ballet will be there.

Travel Tips for Rome

Forum Favourites

by sandysmith

Even though we spent a while in the Roman Forums during our visit in March (see must see tips) we couldn't resist another view in the June of the same year - I really could spend hours here, so much to absorb and new details to notice. A good view over the forum can be had from the top of the Capitoline hill - just past the museums on the right hand side.

GALLERIA BORGHESE

by morganna

GALLERIA BORGHESE (pics on travelogue) Believe me: It's an absolute must! You can find there a great colection of art, specially the one: Bernini sculptures! It's located in the middle of a park, in a nice area of the city. You can enjoy too: Caravaggio, Tiziano, Correggio, etc

By underground.

by Maurizioago

Rome has two underground lines. Both lines (blue and red line) crosses each other at Termini (see Termini train station). The blue line runs from Rebibbia to Laurentina and includes stops near EUR, St. Paul Ouside the Walls, Piramide, Colosseum and so on. The red line runs from Battistini to Anagnina. It includes stops near the Vatican Museums (Cipro), the Vatican (Ottaviano), Piazza del Popolo (Flaminio) and so on.

Metro lines run from 5.30 a.m. to 11.30 p.m. (12.30 p.m. on saturdays).

Tickets are sold at newspapers' stands, tobacco shops and from the vending machines at all stations. There are several kinds of tickets. BIT (biglietto integrato a tempo) is valid for 75 minutes once you've stamped. You can use this for one ride (only) by metro. BIG (biglietto integrato giornaliero) is valid for 24 hours after you've stamped. This is valid for unlimited rides by buses and the metro until midnight of the day it was stamped.

You have to validate your ticket into a machine before boarding.

Perfect Italian Cafe

by tomruth78 about Caffe Della Pace

This cafe is perfect for sitting and watching the tourists go buy whilst enjoying a coffee or cold glass of wine.

The food menu isn't big, but the food is typically Italian. Indeed more Italians were eating here than tourists which is always a good sign.

Toilets aren't great, but then so many cafe toilets in Rome are an adventure to say the least.

It is a very old caffe with interesting interior which makes you feel like you have stepped back in time 100 years. Bruschetta is perfect with a glass of wine.

Getting a tour guide at the Coliseum

by QUIETMONKEY

Going to the Coliseum and adjoining ruins is extremely interesting. The view of the coliseum from the outside seems more impressive than inside. What really helped my experience there was joining a tour, which will actively solicit you to join as you near the structure. I thought the price was a little stiff, but decided to go anyway, and found the information the tour guide gave as extremely interesting. I've read considerable about the Coliseum, but what information they gave added a lot to what I knew . I recommend joining a tour versus going solo, they charge for entrance, which was included in our tour price, also I didn't stand in line to go in, which I didnt know when I bought the tour. We walked by a fairly thick long line of people. Also, included in the price was a picture with one of a number of men dressed in original Roman vesments which most all of the women in our group decided to do. The guy would have a funny remark for each woman who came up and possed with him, many sat on his knee. It was all great entertainment. I read a lot of stories about how to be aware of these guys, but found them to be harmless, nice upbeat guys who joke with you when you walk by, and generally have a good time. I enjoyed their quick wit and funny remarks. They make their living this way, tourist who try to snap a picture without paying them or to get a friend in with a picture taken on the sly is being childish, or highly immature. Perhaps they should tell tourists there is a charge posing with them, I dont know if they do or not, but from their standpoint, maybe tourist should be aware of this anyway. The tour lasted 40-45 minutes. You have the option of continuing the tour of the Forum adjacent , which I recommend also, if you arent tired. On the Forum tour I saw the remains of the original Roman senate, and Julilus Ceasars funeral pire location, which are not marked,or not clearly marked, if you go alone. Plan to spend almost a half day in these tours, bring a wide brim hat for the sun, and bottled water helps.

Comments