Oxford Hotel

Hotel Oxford
Venere.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Oxford Hotel

Very disappointed in the hotel Oxford

My family & i stayed in the Hotel Oxford, Rome for 3 nights in April 2005. The hotel was very clean & well decorated & the bar staff were very friendly. I booked three rooms & our double room was very small, the other two rooms we booked were slightly larger but not by much. On the first night we noticed that our shower door was broken & the water did not drain away in the shower tray. You could not have a shower for more than a couple of minutes or the water would overflow into the bathroom which was slightly higher than the bedroom without a drain in therefore could leak into the rest of the bedroom. We complained about this on the first morning but the Hotel Oxford did not do anything to fix our problems. We mentioned it again the next day & again that night nothing had been done. This continued until we checked out where they told us they had ordered a new door......!Didn't really help our stay. Also i have to say that the staff at breakfast were very rude & we had to chase them around the dining room to order a cup of coffee....hardly the service you expect even from a 2* hotel. I would not recommend this Hotel to anyone travelling to Rome.

Ditto to the Unexpected Treasure Review

We are a couple with a 12-year-old daughter. The comment in the review entitled "An Unexpected Treasure" reflected our experience and impressions exactly. I would add that although all rooms are undoubtedly clean and nicely decorated, some are larger than others. Ours was wonderfully spacious. We also loved the breakfast which was very fresh with a variety of choices. Even if the location was somewhat off the beaten path, it was a lovely area and we would gladly stay here again!

Very nice...

by TripAdvisor Member honeyfleur

i got back yesterday from rome and the oxford hotel and found it to be very nice indeed. i had booked a single room but got a double, and although it was compact, it didn't feel too small...and i had also asked for a quiet room and it very quiet indeed...no outside noise, no other guest tv noise...lovely. there was no bath however which was missed after a days walking...and you can't smoke in the bar! what's happening in italy with the smoking?!
the only small thing was that it is not a five minute walk from barberini metro station. it is more like ten and that's going some. however, it is near most the of the sights and i walked everywhere. recommended.

They gave us such a tiny room

by TripAdvisor Member Ms_Moggy

We only wanted a moderately priced hotel for this trip and we got a good deal with Italiatour. We checked out the hotel reviews. The hotel is friendly, well located and in a good neighbourhood, however we were disappointed that we had been allocated room 262, a tiny, tiny room hardly bigger than a double bed for a FIVE night stay! Of course we had far more luggage than you would for a weekend stay and it was hard to find space for it all; we had to 'nest' our suitcases and prop them upright at the back of the wardrobe, which was already full of blankets. There was only one side table, I had to sleep against the wall, there was a tiny niche big enough for the telephone and my alarm clock. For a room that size, it was well arranged, but claustrophobic. We asked about moving, and the staff were willing to do that after the weekend, however it would have interfered with our plans for the day, so we didn't move after all. The staff were very nice when we needed their help, but as I speak Italian we were pretty self sufficient. On leaving, I said that we should have been allocated a larger room for a five night stay, and they said that next time they would do that for us. Strangely, we might go back there on that basis, it's a friendly place.

A little piece of heaven

Hotel in a very nice part of Rome, just close enough to the sites to be handy and just far away enough to be quiet. Hotel staff friendly and helpful. Rooms a bit small but a small price to pay. The leafy surrounds invite you to explore the area. We literally stumbled across the Spanish Steps. Would highly recommend.

Small room and miniscule elevator!!!

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in May/05 and we booked the Italiator through CIT, their Canadian arm. We also got a tiny room -- so small that one of us had to stand on the bed so that the other could get to the bathroom (our luggage was on the only available floor space). We ended up moving the bed slightly away from the wall so we had more space to roll over! We are used a king and this might have been a double! We were so tired from travel that we actually slept quite well. Could not believe when the bell hop followed the two of us into the elevator with our two large bags. The space was so small that I suspect the load capacity was only for two people!!! Breakfast okay. We walked back to train station with our baggage upon departure - doable but you want to have good wheeled bags!!

Somewhat above average 3 star

by TripAdvisor Member nbdoc

Stayed with wife and 19 year old daughter for 3 nights in May 2005. Room was plenty spacious for three, certainly nothing like descriptions and photos of other reviewers. Bathroom was clean and well equipped, maybe slightly tight on space. Everything was very clean. Breakfast was reasonable, but the coffe from the carafe tasted like instant coffe, so we figured to ask for espresso or cappucino, which was real. The servants are not the most pleasant, but tolerable. Elevator was, indeed, tiny. Bar was a nice added feature. Location is reasonably good. While this is no "hidden treasure" in my mind, it is a reasonable 3* hotel, and good rooms do exist there, you just need some luck to get them.

Good location for indulging in la dolce vita

by TripAdvisor Member Keryl

This is a lovely hotel in an area of very expensive hotels. It is a short walk to Via Veneto, Villa Borghese and a number of other famous tourist haunts including a good scenic walk to the Colosseum if you have time and the energy. Hotel Oxford was very welcoming in decor and staff. I stayed four nights. The room was more than satisfactory with a compact bathroom, mind the shower screen it is a bit squeezy getting in and out but it had a mini bar fridge and was air conditioned. The bartender at Mario's bar was friendly and had a good memory and made a mean cocktail. The restaurant served the usual style breakfast and had an extensive menu for dinner. There was even a snack menu served at the bar for those who can not wait until 7.30pm to have dinner. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would, have infact, recommend it to anyone travelling to Rome.

Great stay at the Oxford

My son, daughter and I spent 6 wonderul nights at the Oxford Hotel. I travel a great deal throughout Europe and North Africa and I must say that this was one of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in as was the room that my son and daughte stayed in. The hotel personnel were extremely polite and helpful. The breakfast was as good as I get in most places and better than many. The bar and bartender were a delight.

The nightspots surrounding the hillThe nightspots surrounding the hill

Santa Maria in Trastevere, Roma, May 2007Santa Maria in Trastevere, Roma, May 2007

Stazione San Pietro is OK.Stazione San Pietro is OK.

Fontana di TreviFontana di Trevi

a little advice

by shebie226

Hi im on a tour i have approx 3 hours free time in piazza navona i read the pantheon is only a few mins walk from their and trevi fountain is close by to if possible would like to try and see both.

do you think its possibles, or should i stay and explore piazza navona

please could i have some directions to these places and back

many thanks

by Paisleypaul

All three are within less than 10 minutes walk. Directions wise you can follow the signs in brown

by craic

oh yes it would be easy and fun

i am sure you can get your hands on one of the maps the info booths hand out, or just ask for directions - or follow the crowds - or as paul says follow the signs

by leics

With three hours available you can see a bit more than just the Trevi and the Pantheon. Use this map link to explore the possibilities nearby:

by Mikebb

Hi Easily done, with plenty of time to see other sights nearby.Next to Piazza Navona is the Palazzo Madama, continue along lgo Cosi to via Palombella where the Pantheon is located, only minutes to walk, a beautiful and amazing building, give yourself at least 15 minutes or more inside, free entry. On exiting walk around to the rear of the Pantheon and walk along Via del Seminario to you reach Via del Corso ( the main street), croos over the road and enter via Umilta and continue past a few side streets to you reach Via de Forno where you turn left and you have reached the Trevi Fountain. Say 5 minutes walk from Pantheon, possibly 10 minutes as you are following directions. Photos on my Rome pages.
Good Luck,