Paba

More about Paba

Traveler's Tips About Rome; hotel, tour

by MonaOve

A few tips about Rome

Rome is not a joke. With more than 2000 years of history there is A LOT to see. It will definitely be a challenging trip – hills, steps, ruins, cobblestones will guarantee you exercise that your personal trainer never dreamt about. But it is WORTH IT! It’s like sightseeing Paris, New York, Istanbul and Buenos Aires in one city. From the historical point of view, Rome is like a big “mamma” of these cities, a goddess who gave birth to Western civilization!
A trip to Rome will definitely be unforgettable and by saying that I mean that Rome can be magnificent, exciting and even sensual, but at the same time it can be frustrating, tiring and stressful. There are thousands of bad restaurants, taxi drivers who want to fleece you, and, of course, far too much to see and do in just one visit.
As for the RESTAURANTS I recommend you slip off the main roads and avoid the places that cater exclusively to tourists: I know that eating in front of the Pantheon is visually tempting, but you’ll find much better food and prices just around the corner outside the piazza. Most of the best places are on small streets so walk a few blocks, take a few turns and sniff out something good. One of the great places for a pizza is called La Gatta Mangiona, which requires taking a tram (nr 8) or a taxi and for a more posh choice I recommend Il Antico Arco at the top of the Gianicolo Hill. (One important thing: in Rome you should always check the bill and make sure that you are actually paying for what you ordered and not contributing to the waiter’s new scooter!)
In a city like Rome you shouldn’t miss a good guided TOUR. But because there are so many choices and the prices are not the world’s lowest, you want to make sure that your money will be well spent. The best guide will not only give you reliable information and lead you through the meander of Rome and the Vatican, but also convey the excitement, provide insights, and advise you on what the city has to offer depending on your needs. There are a lot of good tour companies (and also a few bad ones). I recommend the one I used on my second Rome trip, Rome Illuminated Tours. There was no way we could be bored for one second during the tour and our native English-speaking guide was a real treasure full of useful tips and information.
The last important thing is a HOTEL. I am not a backpacker, but I also don’t like to spend the fortune on hotels. But the magic of the city is downtown and it’s worth the extra money to stay right in the middle of things. Try Teatro Pace 33 near Piazza Navona or Il Palazzetto at the top of the Spanish Steps. Hotel Paba is a good budget option near the Colosseum. If you want a posh retreat, look up Hotel Cavalieri which, although far away from the center, has one of the best restaurants in Italy, La Pergola.
I hope that my tips help you prepare a better trip. I could write a few more pages, but I don’t think that there is space for it! Buon viaggio!

Mona

Traveler's Tips About Rome

by MonaOve

Hotel, Restaurant, Tour Agency
A few tips about Rome

A Gem of a Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member traveltomorrow

Thanks to a Rick Steves recommendation, we had a delightful 6 night stay at the Hotel Paba in Sept. 06. It was neat, clean, air-conditioned and quiet and was located just a short walk away from the Forum. Breakfast was whenever we were ready for it. The owner was most helpful in helping us plan our daily excursions and was a wealth of knowledge regarding what to see and how to get there. We would definitely recommend Hotel Paba to anyone planning a trip to Rome.

Very Sweet Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member starmarie

Hotel Paba was so sweet. Alberta (the owner) was so nice and friendly. She went out of her way to help us. There was 3 of us in the room. The room was a good size and the bathroom was too. We had the front room with a boucany and the main street below us. It wasn't noisy cause of the doubled pane doors and the shutters. The room was alway clean. The breakfast was coffee, a roll, and a fresh cursant from the store across the steet. The cursants were so good. Even though it wasn't eggs and bacon, what she severd was enough for us. If you need more coffee she will give you more. I will be back to stay. The location was just perfect!

Really nice hotel in Rome

by TripAdvisor Member StephC2006

We stayed at Hotel Paba for 6 nights during November. We had a nice room and ensuite bathroom which was always very clean and had a very good shower. The Hotel was extremely well-cared for and also had a nice old-fashioned lift.

The Hotel was in a good location, very near to the Coloseum and Forum. We walked everywhere except the Vatican and Appian Way. The Hotel is on a very busy road, but our room was at the back so we were not troubled by this. There was a little noise from the courtyard at the back sometimes, but this did not really bother us.

The Hotel owner was very pleasant. She brought us breakfast in our room each morning (coffee and fresh croissants) and also booked a taxi to take us to the airport when we left.

Overall, a lovely hotel for the price.

Loved the Paba

by TripAdvisor Member DcCitymom

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Paba for two nights in early Dec. 06. We loved it! It is more like a pensione than hotel, since it is several rooms on one floor, managed by the owner Alberta. She is a lovely woman, very helpful and friendly. She gave us a great out of the way place to eat dinner and lots of good directions and sightseeing tips. The rooms are small, but not tiny, very comfortable and clean. The bathrooms are good sized also. She serves a nice breakfast (cornetto, cheese, roll, juice, and cappucino with extra steamed milk) which is just enough to get you going in the morning. I also thought the location is excellent-right down the street from St. Peter in Chains and the Colosseum. There is a terrific bakery/pizza place right across the street from the Hotel where we got fantastic panini and a bottle of wine for lunch one day. Via Cavour is a little noisy, but the rooms are very quiet. We had an alley side room, where you could hear some people working and talking into the evening. It just added to the charm, I thought! We'd definitely stay here again.

A Wonderful Experience

by TripAdvisor Member FleFamFun

Finding Hotel Paba truely came thru a bit of luck... This very small hotel is comparable to a bed a breakfast in the states. Owned by a very caring and helpful woman, Alberta she makes the hotel 5 stars all by herslef.

The rooms were clean and decently sized. I highly suggest the quad room if you are traveling with a party of four...it was great bonding time for our family. And the location was wonderful... only a block from the colloseum and a metro stop, with a bus stop right outside the front door.

If you are anything like me your idea of a european hotel bathroom is probably the scariest part of the trip. Well... there is no need to worry about a closet like bathroom with Hotel Paba. You will not have to shower with your toilet or biday.

Alberta serves a small breakfast every morning which includes hot croisants, bread, jams and cheeses. Along with juice and fresh Italian Coffees. It is a great start to the day.

Also, this is the first hotel i've ever stayed in where we were not afraid to drink out of the mini bar.... Alberta says she has them for convience not to make money. (She is so precious). Drinks from the mini bar were actually less than the convienent store across the street.

Not only would I stay at hotel paba again but i highly encourage it to others. Located on the 2nd floor be careful when you are looking for the hotel.. for although the sign may be small outside, the expereince on the inside was largely fantastic.

Great Hotel in Wonderful Location with Lovely Owner!

by TripAdvisor Member BT-Travels

We stayed at Hotel Paba for four nights in January. We had a fantastic experience at this hotel! The hotel is located a few short blocks away from the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, Trajan's Forum and Market, St. Peter-in-Chains, and a metro stop. There is an internet place right beside the hotel, a delicious gelateria just down the block, a couple of small markets across the street as well as a bakery and a tobacco shop (for your metro and other small item needs). Although the hotel is located on Via Cavour, a busy street, the noise was not an issue and ear plugs would guarantee no sleeping problems. Our room was very nice, clean and large with a balcony over looking Via Cavour! The beds and pillows were very firm which was not an issue for us but perhaps for others it may be. Breakfast was included and was quite basic with rolls, pastry, cheese spreads, and a beverage; it did the job to get started in the morning at the very least. Alberta, the owner, was absolutely fantastic; she was very friendly, extremely helpful and one can see that she cares for her hotel! She suggested a wonderful restaurant for dinner, La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali, which was located very close to the hotel and is run by a very friendly and honest family who serve fantastic food! Alberta also helped make arrangements to the airport for us to ensure that we would be looked after and receive a fair transportation price. It was such a pleasant experience staying in such a nice, clean, cozy, and well located hotel with a caring and honest hostess! I would absolutely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Rome!

Great Hotel, Wonderful Location

by TripAdvisor Member EQ_Boston

Had a lovely time during the stay in Rome. I would highly recommend staying there.

The hotel is small with only a few rooms, but it is very clean and has a great location. It is very close to Colosseum

The only think to keep in mind is that breakfast is extremely continental, with only tea/coffee, juice, and a croissant.

Hotel Paba - Anyone stay there recently?

by orsailor

I am planning a trip to Rome in Sept. 08 and would like to know if anyone has stayed at the Hotel Paba recently and what their experience was.

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Hotel Paba - Anyone stay there recently?

by TCameron

Hi Gary,

I am headed there in March so I can let you know what I think. However, I have been in email communication with the proprietor and he is very nice. I also read a review on www.marathonguide.com for the Rome marathon about this place and she said it was very nice, "but the bed was a little stiff." Rick Steves recommends the place in his guide book. It is a small place so don't wait long to book your room.

Comments