Palio Bianco Suite

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data

More about Rome

ColisseumColisseum

The entire ceilingThe entire ceiling

The view from the Parco Savello 2The view from the Parco Savello 2

The Chick, Piazza della Minerva, Roma, May 2007The Chick, Piazza della Minerva, Roma, May 2007

11 days in south Italy

by Sambawalk

Hi,

I have 11 days and would like to travel from Rome to Sicily (excluding Rome) during Christmas and NY. My initial plan is Naples an surrounding, and Sicily. Can any one suggest where else I should visit all within those 11 days? This is a kind of last minute, so I no idea of other good places to visit in southern part of Italy. Thanks.

by Maurizioago

You could spend some days on the island of Ischia.

by leics

Remember that you will find public transport difficult (and maybe impossible) on 25th & 26th Dec and Jan 1st (public holidays). Plan your trip accordingly. i would avoid travelling on the days either side of the holidays as well, personally: transport is likely to be very busy.

I suggest you allow at least 5 days for Naples...and that you base yourself in Sorrento. From there you can easily visit Pompeii and Herculaneum (and Naples itself) using the cheap and frequent Circumvesuviana trains. Timetables here:

www.vesuviana.it/web/en/Orari

You can get ferries/hydrofoils from Sorrento to Capri:

You can take the bus to visit Amalfi, Ravello and Positano. Go to:

and look under 'Quadro 15' for timetables.

By the time you have done that, allowed for days with difficult transport and travelled to Sicily (flying or train?) then the rest of your time can easily be spent exploring some of Sicily.

by esnupi

I would suggest to visit Naples (+ Pompei) and move on to Sicily, there's so much to see on the island you could easily spend weeks there. Since you are arriving in Sicily from Naples: Siracusa, Etna, Taormina, Caltagirone, Ragusa, Modica, Enna, Agrigento, Cefalù, Palermo.

The costa amalfitana is not really a wintertime destinations: but if weather permits: www.amalfiscoast.com
I immagine you fly back from Palermo/Catania?

The suggestions for Sicily are the highlights, starting east, as you did not state your interest. You will need a car in Sicily to visit the cities mentioned. In sicily overall it is far more easier travelling by car.

by Ceekonee

We loved Sicily and wish we had more time there. Do not miss Taormina!. Driving in Sicily is easier but be sure to get a GPS. Alot of the roads do not have signs and we stayed lost most of the time in the mountains.(but it was fun) Traveling from one area to the next is slow with all the curves and the roads are narrow. I would go back there in a heartbeat..but next time with a GPS and an automatic transmission.

We also loved the agritourismo we stayed at in Agrigento..the host cooks up a fabulous dinner!. Be sure to visit the Valley of the Temples there.

Syracusa is very pretty and interesting.

We did not attempt to drive into Palermo but instead went to find family in the small towns of Corleone, Poggioreale, and Roccamena. That is the real Sicily!
Just beautiful!

by Sambawalk

Thanks all and Leics for the holiday warning, thats something I really need due to cultural difference. IN fact, I am wondering if there are any interesting places to visit in Calabria area. That means after I final Naples area, then I should move on to Sicily.
Cheers

Travel Tips for Rome

Rome Tip

by Big-Damian

Has to be all the famous sites in Rome. Plus at night, get with some friends and do the bar crawl. There about 100 bars all near each other. I think there were, I lost count. But from what I remember, I had a blast. And I will do it again.

Be prepared for the Eternal City

by fishandchips

As you can see in the photo, I opted for an ugly green suitcase. This may appear to be a bad call initially until you get to Changi, Rome or Heathrow and see squillions of black or dark blue suitcases. Mine was always easy to pick out and has saved me quite a bit of time. I take only one pair of shoes so I make sure that they are multi purpose. In addition I have some sport-sandals which can come in handy. Being Rome I wear a hat/cap as the heat can get to you if you are not used to it - keeping the sun off your face is a good choice. Anything you forget you can easily buy at a Parmacia (though language could be an issue). I like to have sample-size items so I can travel light. I normally carry some hand cleaner with me as you can never tell what washing facilities you will find in out of the way toilet facilities. For me the smaller the better. Currently it is an Optio 5i and it took every photo in my 2005 trip. Remember that if you have a rechargeable battery camera then you will likely need an adaptor for the charger depending where you are travelling from. I like multi use items so I usually carry convertable pants so I have both longs & shorts in one unit. With the strict dress code for churches (eg St Peter's) your body must be adequately covered so make sure your day bag has enough kit in it. The door guards will not let you in otherwise!!

Pinocchio and wooden gifts for children

by Karahan about Bartolucci

Bartolucci family has been creating wooden toys and puppets since years. They have several shops entire Italy. One of them is in Rome, on the way of Phanteon. I bought a puppet of Pinocchio and a board that is written my niece's name on it.

Wooden art is a little bit expensive actually. Cause it's handmade. But there are plenty of options to buy as you can see at photos. So you can find something for your budget too. It exactly makes your children happy. Pinocchio, rabbit-clocks, key-holders, cat-lamps, spring guns, rocking horses, old cars and puppets... everything exclusively of wood and handmade. Depends on what you want to buy and size of wooden gift. For example, a gift that i bought for my niece was a 15cm wooden board and for 7 euro.

Driving: Italians have...

by daarth

Driving: Italians have fantastic reactions!! One time sitting at a cafe, I saw 27 cars heading for the same little spot. I closed my eyes waiting for the bang....
None came. I tried opening my eyes and discovered that all the cars had gotten past each other. Amazing!

Dine with the Locals

by von.otter about Il Tulipano Nero

Located amongst the narrow twisting streets of the working-class neighborhood of Trastevere, this restaurant caters to local residents primarily. When we ate here in 2000 we were the only non-Italians in the place. It was wonderful seeing friends greet each other over a delicious meal and a glass of wine. The scene was entertaining, and at no charge!

It is one of the few places in Rome where you can find gluten-free dishes. The vegetarian pizza is very good; as are the Calzoni, folded pizzas, and the Bruschette, seasoned toasts, is out of this world. The restaurant also serves spaghetti, with meat dishes are on the menu during the week and fish recipes available on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Comments