Via Tunisi, 3, Rome, 00192, Italy
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Rome

San Carlo alle Quattro FontaneSan Carlo alle Quattro Fontane

Caligula's PalaceCaligula's Palace

Sea-Themed Mosaic, Vatican Museums, May 2007Sea-Themed Mosaic, Vatican Museums, May 2007

Al Sogno toy shopAl Sogno toy shop

48 Hours in Rome

by thelmap

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Rome for 2 days/night commencing 10th June 2008. Apparently our Hotel is 100 meters from the Trevi Fountain, I take it, this isn't a bad location. Whilst we are not huge on sightseeing, don't everyone be shocked, all I want to do is the following: Eat Pasta & Pizza & Gelati and drink good coffee (latte). Where is the best in Rome considering our location. Please note I don't want to waste too much time travelling getting from one point to another. Appreciate suggestions from all. Thanks and regards.

Thelma

by effeti

With Lacristina restaurants tips you cannot be disappointed ( http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/67a55/23513/2/ ) . Know her... and i know some of the restaurants she talks about. And never was disappointed.
And i'm quite sure ABarbieri will pop in soon, giving some first-hand advice. So... be patient!
Ciao
Francesco

by abarbieri

Francesco is right you will find many good restaurants tips on other VT members Rome travel pages and Lacristina (today is her birthday!!) has one of the top 5 pages about Rome. I will be pleased if you also check my Rome restaurants tips. Pasta lovers will never be disappointed in Rome and Italy.

Regarding Pizza I am just about to create a new tip with my favourite ones. However I suggest you to do a search in this same web site. From the home page you put Pizza in Rome in the search gap, select keywords from the menu next to it and then click on go.

You can do the same think with the Gelato/Ice Cream but again you will find my new tip about it in my Rome page under the general tips listing.

Coffee (yes make one more search here!!) is more complicated because it really depends what your expectations are. Do you like to seat down or is it ok to stand at the counter? Are you looking for places where they serve just great coffee or would you prefere to have a selection of sweet stuff/cakes too?
Let us kmow!!

by craic

my favourite ice cream shop is giolottis between the corso and the pantheon

and i did spend a lot of my time in italy trying to convince waiters and baristas that i did indeed want a cafe latte (husband asked for latte once and nearly got plain milk) even though it was after midday

i find all milk coffee in italy way too weak unless you ask and pay for a doppio

in despair i did what the locals did and got those tiny little cups of rocket fuel standing up at the bar

by craic

and as to the location of your hotel - well the trevi is nearly always busy - no matter how late I went the square was jammed - so it could be a bit noisy - be prepared

by abarbieri

Jennifer(craic) I am not surprised that your husband did get a glass of plain milk when he asked for "latte". That word means milk in Italian!!
I am under the impression that for you "Latte" means something similar to what we call "Latte Macchiato" (glass of milk with some coffee in it) or Caffélatte (glass of milk with much more coffee, say 60% milk and 40% coffee). No need to say that we are talking about the espresso coffee, the same one we drink at the counter in a small cup called "tazzina".

by abarbieri

Sorry I forgot to remind everybody not to drink the water from the Trevi Fountain. See my tip about this in my Rome travel page under the things to do listing!!
Regards,

by craic

almost got milk - i intervened

our lattes (and cappuccinos) tend to be stronger and we have them any hour of the day or night

by mangifii

San Crispino's gelato is a very short walk from the Trevi fountain. Their gelato is wonderful.

Travel Tips for Rome

Mercati di Traiano (Trajan's Markets)

by Sarita76

Trajan's Markets (Mercatus Traiani) was designed by the architect Apollodorus of Damascus. It was a real market, with almost 150 shops and offices. The Markets are a series of buildings constructed on various levels at the same time as Trajan's Forum. It was a complex of more than 170 rooms. The building now hosts the Museum of the Imperial Forums.

Relax for a while on a park

by davidlop

Even parks have some roman remains, but the environment helps to make it a more relaxed visit. Try the area of Pza. di Siena (all the green area between the Galleria Borghese, the zoo, and the Pincio and Villa Medici), enough for an hour walking by some green paths... also if you like horse riding, you can do it without getting out of the city, here.

Arriving from FiUMINCINO airport to Roma Termini

by curlybaz

For budget travellers, there is a cheaper way to reach the central train station 'Roma Termini' from Fiumincino Airport. You have to change train once and that is very easy. Instead of taking direct "Leonardo Express" from Fiumincino airport ( one way ticket: 9.5 euros), take Metropolitan train FR1 direction Fara Sabina (one way ticket: 5 euros). It runs frequently and even on sundays (check www.adr.it). Travelling time is 25 minutes, get down at the 7th train station (Tuscolana). Walk down the stairs and exit the station. Take the road "Via Gela" in front of you, walk for about 4 minutes straight till you come across "Ponte Lungo" Metro station (symbol M). You have to take metro A direction Battistini (ticket valid for 75 minutes: 1 euro). Travelling time is 8 minutes, its 5th stop is Roma Termini. All the journey from the airport to Termini station takes around 40 minutes and you save 3.5 euros. (Do not forgot to valide your ticket with yellow machines installed on the station).

Tiramisu fever

by ozalp about Barcaccia

In our small guided tour in Rome our guide had recommended us that place. He’d told us it has the most delicious ice creams of Rome. I am not fond of ice cream; I easily get sick and start to cough. So I ate tiramisu when my friends were enjoying their ice creams. As I tasted from Eylem’s (artonice) ice cream I can recommend you this place. But…
Their tiramisu is AWESOME! I enjoyed every little piece of it.

Don’t miss! Tiramisu

Night visits (Trevi & others)

by sandeepkbatra

I visited Trevi at night around 11. It was full of people. Try to take a place on one of the steps somewhere in front and sit for few minutes. Watch people tossing coins with their back. Some simply throwing a coin and some taking care to follow tradition (I also read about it in some logs) using right hand and throwing over left shoulder. I did not visit during daylight but from some picture seems I was correct in doing so. Also at walking distance (Piazza Venezia) is a tomb of unknow soldiers which too looks great at night. Just behind this is Roman forums and shorts distance behind this is Colloseum. On direction opposite to all these (from Trevi) is Spanish steps. I did not visit Spanish steps & colloseum at night but think all these can be done in 1.5 to 2 hours and could be worth a visit. I suggest start from either Spanish steps or Colloseum and walk to other side.

Colloseum - Roman forum (steps from Venezia side) - Altare della Patria (tomb of an unknown soldier) - Trevi fountain - Spanish steps.

Get a metro and ride back to your place of stay
Can also use metro but do check if they are not closed for repairs during night. Probably other means (bus 40 etc can be used atleast it goes to Venezia, I know)

Comments