Park Hotel Villa Ferrata

Park Hotel Villaferrata
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

More about Rome

Souvenir envelope for the billSouvenir envelope for the bill

May 2009May 2009

Welcom to my favorite spotWelcom to my favorite spot

Colosseum - "there it is".Colosseum - "there it is".

can i/should i pirchase tickets to the Colosseum online?

by alwaysblendsin

can i purchase tickets to major attraction online to avoid the lines? does it cost more and is it worth the time saved?

by xymmot

I was there two weeks ago and there was long lines, so if you can, buy it on line Cheers Tommy x

by goodfish

Not need to buy in advance. One ticket covers the Colosseum, the Forum and Palatine Hill and it's very easy to buy in Rome. Just don't go to the Colosseum first - buy your ticket at the Forum or Palatine hill where lines are much shorter. The line at the Palatine was very short last we were there as I'm guessing some people don't even choose to see it (and it's absolutely worthwhile to explore).

by Kathrin_E

Another vote for Palatine Hill! It is worthwhile, and not only for the overview of the forum.

by SandiM

You could buy your tickets online, but if you go early in the day (right as they open) or in the evening, you will avoid lineups. There is a combo ticket you can buy and it's good for 24 hrs (I think, I was there in April and I bought the ticket the night before), that's why you could buy it the day before in the evening, then go the next day. Just make sure you see all 3 in the one day (Colisseum, Palatine, Forum).

by lynee

Hi everyone this question helps me as well. how nuch does these tickets cost??? i am trying to put together a budget but it is hard to budget not knowing how much the touristy things cost.
Ta Lynee

by Mozumbus

As suggested above, there is no need to buy the ticket in advance, the 12E combo covering Colloseum, Roman Forum, and the Platine Hill (all in one vicinity) can be bought form the entrance of Roman Forum instead to that of the Colloseum...

There are other advantages of not buying the ticket from outside the Colloseum, refer to my tip "Colosseum: Beat the Queue - Buy the Ticket from Roman Forum" http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tp/1e8f78/

by otiropas

I have used 2 companies that offer guided tours in small groups. I booked online and had great experiences. No waiting in lines and saw and learned about what I was seeing. It also let me budget, and gave me time to pay it off before I left for my trip. Viator.com and Prestotours.com You can choose from a variety of tours. Good luck, and enjoy!

Travel Tips for Rome

A time for meditation

by celsomollo

I've always heard about the Vatican, I'm a catholic, so when I was in Rome I wanted to visit it.
The St Peter square is very nice and huge with all those columns lined up in a perfect simetry.
The inside of the Cathedral is so rich that I think it is almost too much.
I climbed hundreds of steps to get to the top of the tower overlooking the city, from there I was able to spot most of the main attractions and it helped me finding my way.
I would love to be able to visit Rome once again. Although many people think that the building isn't in the right place, one of the best moments I had was when I visited the Monument of Emmanuel the Second. It's just out of this world.
Another place I liked a lot was the Pathernon.

Big Noses

by OttoMarzo

"Big Nose" is a familiar Roman name to call those small fountains where you can drink at. They are always opened and it's not a waste of water. I've read anywhere that Rome is just upon a huge water reserve and its level is stable. Once you don't use that water you are gonna loose ita anyway. Maybe it's a bit immoral, but it's super comfortable. Bars and stands will make you pay big amounts of money for small bottles of mineral water. Don't do that. Springing water is perfect, clean, fresh and delicious, and it's brought to you through the original Roman Acquedoct. So... it tastes of history. One of the funniest things is watching tourists on their first approach to the Big Noses. The easiest way to drink is: close the bottom (main) hole and water will spring out from the smaller hole on top. Then just drink!

Fellini for film faces

by icunme

Rome's International Museum of Film and Entertainment, 101 Via Portuense, 370-0266, is a small, serendipitous place in Trastevere with Fellini memorabilia and exhibits chronicling the full history of Italian moviemaking; open at 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, guided visits in English by appointment.
Curios of international filmmaking: cameras, projectors, posters etc. An important collection of Italian silent films.

Hours: guided tours only, Tuesday, Thursday 16 - 17.30 (French),
and Saturday 17 (Italian). Other languages only by appointment.

On airports

by baronedivandastad

Rome has two airports, Fiumicino (the main one), situated west of the city 30 minutes by train from the railway station (direct service), and Ciampino, located east of the city some 25 minutes away by bus.

Fiumicino is served by all major airlines, and is Europe's 5th largest airport as per passenger traffic. Ciampino is the homebase of several low-cost airline, and its traffic is growing steadily with the expansion of the industry.

Both airports are quite efficient, clean and well organized, save for luggage handling which can be really slow at times.

In order to be sure to catch your flight, plan to be at the airport 1h before for domestic and European flights in Fiumicino and for all flights in Ciampino, and around 1h30' before for intercontinental flights in Fiumicino (save for flights to the US and Israel, for which you should arrive up to 4h early).

For a nice break near the Pantheon

by alza about Le Cave di San Ignazio

Le Cave di San Ignazio is a famous/popular restaurant on Piazza di San Ignazio. In the early 1900's, it was the site of Rome's first pizzeria. Now a rendez-vous place for politicians, show business people and actors -- and the international crowd.

Lovely terrace on the square, where I stopped for a short break for appetizers and a pastry. I didn't see Berlusconi but I'm sure I saw a few of his sbirri there. Service was swift and very attentive. I had vegetables au gratin, some ham and delicious ricotta. For energy to make my way back to the hostel, I chose the millefoglie (mille feuille pastry) and it was heavenly! They also have tiramis├╣ that looked wonderful.

This is not a tea-room but I got there at a quiet time, after meal service, and was able to order just what I needed to keep walking. Very relaxing spot in a quiet square.

Comments