Pensione Sandy

Sandy Hostel
Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Rome

The Church of Sant’Eustachio, Roma, 05/07The Church of Sant’Eustachio, Roma, 05/07

Holds the worldHolds the world

Join the crowdsJoin the crowds

Museo Terme - Protohistorical objectsMuseo Terme - Protohistorical objects

** Best Airline to Fly out of in Rome to Miami? **

by jeffreyjames07

Just want to know if I should avoid one or the other.. thanks!

by Turtleshell

Only Delta and Alitlia provide nonstop flights from Rome to Miami. I have no opinion on Delta, but Alitalia wouldn't be my first choice.

If I were you, I'd rather check how convenient departure times are and how long layover is in say Paris or Amsterdam if I can't have a nonstop flight. And then there are differences in fares ...

by mccalpin

...and I would avoid connecting in Paris if I could, as CDG (and Air France) seem to me to have the worst strike habits. I'd much rather connect in almost any other European airport...well, except maybe Heathrow (I believe that Heathrow's giant waiting area with all the shops is the first level of Hell)...I'd much rather connect in Gatwick if I could.

Alitalia traditionally gives you better food and worse service (if something goes wrong) than American carriers, if that matters to you...also note that you may want to look at the equipment being used...a coach seat on a 777 on an average carrier may well be more comfortable than a coach seat on a 767 on a good carrier...which is why it's hard to get a seat on a 777 out of DFW to Europe using miles...

Bill

by Donna_in_India

Delta is good (frequently fly Delta non-stop India-NY). Take the non-stop if you can. It's not worth a layover if you can avoid one. Alitalia used to be good but I would definitely steer clear of them now.

by Lacristina

However, I'm fairly sure that the direct "Delta" flight from Miami to Rome is just a code share...it's operated by Alitalia. And as others here have said, I, too, would avoid them. They are a miserably run airline. And good luck to you if they lose your luggage. ARRGGGGHHHHH!

Even if it would mean a longer flight due to a connection, I personally would not take the Alitalia operated flight.

Travel Tips for Rome

Men: In All Kinds of Uniforms!

by deecat

Well, girls, one of the most enticing facts about Rome is the incredibly good looking Italian men.

They are outgoing, sophisticated, well dressed, and Italian handsome! On top of that, it seemed to me that wherever I went, I would see men in Uniform. And we know, girls, that men in uniform are sexy!

I noted that there are three different kinds of Police Uniforms. Then, there are the Military Uniforms. Additionally, there are the Swiss Guards in Uniform at the Vatican City Gates as well as various Guards at important historical sites.

The Uniforms only add more mystic to the incredible Male Specie. I had always been told that Italian men, especially in Rome, were "fresh". So, I was expecting to see Roman men flirting with attractive foreign tourists, especially if she were a blond.

I did not observe that at all. That fact impressed me because instead of being obnoxious, the Roman men were true gentlemen. Thank goodness.

Please click the photograph to see the five different examples of men in uniform in Rome

Roma and Lazio

by Henrik_rrb

Despite what I wrote under the "Warning/Danger"-section watching a football game in Rome is still an incredible experience. If you're just able to cope with the ticket problems, the useless organisation and the stupid new security laws - you'll have a great time at Stadio Olimpico.

In Rome there are two clubs in the first division (Serie A), Roma and Lazio. Both have had their share of both victories and losses. Lazio won lo scudetto in 1999/2000 (when swede Sven-Göran Eriksson was their manager) and Roma won it the next year.

After that both clubs have had economical problems, huge ones, and both still even have. Lazio will pay back their tax debts during the next 23 years, while Roma has been close to be sold plenty of times during the last years. Now it seems though as if the owner family Sensi has decided to keep the club.

Roma's big son is Francesco Totti, the man the italians love to hate or hate to love. Or just love to love, if you're a Roma-supporter.
The Lazio substitute for him was Alessandro Nesta, but he took off to Milan in 2002, mostly due to the economical problems in the club. After that came Paolo di Canio, who is more crazy than Totti loves to fall to get easy free kicks... After last season he left the club and now plays for another Rome club in the lower divisions.

Roma is the team with the biggest support. They have around 40 000 season ticket holders and the supporters in the Curva Sud always gives the team a fantastic support.
Well, at least as long as their are winning. But then the support is great.
Roma supporters are probably those in the world who mostly changes after the result. If Roma is in a winning period, they can bring 10 000 people to an away game in Milan. If they have had a string of bad result they are hardly 100 supporters in Siena... The Lazio supporters, led by the infamous group Irriducibili, stands in the Curva Nord. The amount of supporters are less than Roma, and they have also a lot less season ticket holders.
Despite this the atmosphere at the Lazio games are mostly really really good, specially now since the curva has decided to start singing again.

During 3/4 of the season they have sat down silent, in protest against the Lazio president Claudio Lotito. They still don't support him, but now at least they sing for the club again.

There are unfortunately quite often crowd troubles in Rome, so the first thing you shouldn't wear is something in the same colour as the away team has.
Be as neutral as possible is always a good tip.

Tickets are no longer sold at the stadium on matchdays (thank you, stupid italian politicians...), so to get one you have to be in the city at least a day before the game is played. You can either buy a ticket in a Lottomatica-machine (which I still haven't been able to figure out what it is...) or in a Roma/Lazio store.

You need to bring your passport, as tickets in Italy nowadays are personal and with your name on.

At Via Farini, close to Termini, you'll find a Lazio store. And I'm quite sure there is a Roma shop close to the station too.

Ticket prices goes from 100 euro down to 15. My tip is, if you aren't used to seeing games in Italy, is to get a ticket at Tribuna Tevere (the long side of the stadium) or Tribuna Monte Mario. There you'll be as safe as possible, but still be able to take in the fantastic atmosphere.

Games against Milan, Inter and Juventus are the biggest, except for the derby between the two teams of course. Often sold out to all these games, so make sure to get your ticket far in advance!

upscale store in Rome

by monica71 about La Rinascente

La Rinascente is an upscale department store in Rome where you can find really good quality merchandises (clothes, perfume, jewelry, etc). The prices are not cheap, but the quality is good. The store is worth to stop by even if you do not buy anything, just to get an idea of what they sell in Rome in an upscale department store and what the prices are. I guess the cheapest pair of leather gloves I saw there was 75 Euros, so do not expect to find a bargain.

One thing that I was surprised to see was people with dogs in the store. I do not recall too many stores in USA or any country I have traveled so far where you can take your dog with you inside. I wish I could take my dog with me when going shopping in a department store :)

BEST BAKERY/PIZZA!

by ttsui about Il Forno Campo di' Fiori

A+. The hazelnut (nocciole) clusters were amazing! We went there 3 times while in town. Pizza is take out only, but worth the trip. It's located in Campo di' Fiori, between Piazza Navona and Piazza Argentina. Just a few minutes walk from our apartment on Via Argentina.

Refreshing Restaurant

by Packerman about Angelino AI Fori

It was just a great location. The waiter and other people smiled at our young children and the waiter even kissed them. I liked that. We ate outside, and were covered with a roof of vines and leaves, it was great looking and kept the hot sun off of us. The food was good and the service was good too.

Comments