Piccolo Residence Sas Di Amelia Picchi

More about Rome

Michelangelo's PietaMichelangelo's Pieta

The restaurantThe restaurant

Looking down into St. Peter's squareLooking down into St. Peter's square

GESU - frontage.GESU - frontage.

first of may in rome

by marineee

hello! will anything be open on the first of may? i need to take a train to rimini,but i know that 5/1 is a big holiday in italy,and am worried that taxis and public transport will have a holiday.any advice? thanks.

by mccalpin

Generally, on public holidays in Italy, buses and trains run on the Sunday/holiday schedule. This doesn't affect long distance trains much (like to Rimini) - it's more likely to affect commuter trains for obvious reasons. The same with buses; they should run their Sunday schedules, which means that most routes won't run as often (I just noticed that the famous #64 bus from St. Peter's to the Termini train station drops from 199 runs per weekday to 141 runs on a Sunday), and a few may not run at all. But unless you are outside of the city center, you should be able to deal with this.

I assume taxis will be running, although perhaps not as many.

Note that traffic may be a problem, if they close off streets for parades and whatnot...so be sure to ask at your hotel for last minute information...

If nothing else, the shops and eateries at major train stations are open 365 days a year.

Bill

by Ina08

The first of May there is one major event staged in Rome by the union with speeches and concerts and generally quite a crowd. It will take place in Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano.

So what to consider?
Lots of people at and around the Termini station and on the streets who at the end of the day will travel back. So either make a reservation for your train to Rimini or travel quite early in the afternoon to avoid the crowd.
Public transport: I am not sure how Rome will organise the surface transport, you are quite likely to be ok with the underground system. The same holds true for taxis.

by marineee

thanks so much!

Travel Tips for Rome

Do your homework!

by Jenniflower

Before going on holiday, we always do a lot of researching and homework prior to our trip.

Since being on VT, we naturally look for advice and tips on this site.

We like to know a certain amount about the area we are going to, the culture, the history etc. It puts one on the right footing I think, and can be very handy.

One example was the coliseum.

What one learns at school can hardly do it justice.

We did research on the history of it, the timeline.. and it changed over the years and had different uses. How it has been built and rebuilt and the stone, wood and other materials used. And why.

There is always a reason why things get made the way they do, and I would rather know why. It helps one appreciate the craftmanship and skill of those times.

When in Rome, walk around

by footstool

1. Never saw curbside gas pumps anywhere in the US. It might catch on. 2. The romance of the Fountain of Trevi is ruined by persistent, ravenous hustlers with cameras who swarm around you like bees on honey. If you politely say no, the rest of them take turns, revolving like boomerangs around you. I nearly had to push them off me. 3. How good were these ancient Roman architects anyway? They build a facade, but no walls or ceilings?! 4. If you keep walking in Rome, you will meet famous American actor Bill Pullman. He was very gracious to stop the shoot and pose for a pic. 5. In New York City, subway graffiti is a thing of the past. This was stamped out in the late 1970's. In fact, there is a tiny handful of European "artists" who apparently fly here just to supply us with their "subway art" at no cost. How jolly of them.

Party with italians

by Wondagirl about Alien

The first month, when I lived in Rome, I just went to the typical tourist spots like "Naughts head" and Alpheus. Then one day, I took a flyer, and we decided to go to the disco, and it was Alien. It's situated in Trieste, not too easy to find!!

But it's a very nice club, with 99% italians (and 1% foreigners, wich is us =). They have a couple of dansfloors, and the music is dance, trance and house music. It's a pretty trendy place, and you'll met trannies and trendy romans.

While I was working during the weekend, we always went there during the week. It was crowded anyway, but the guys were not so persistent and desperate! An advise is to call the guy at the flyers (you'll find one at the Corso!) and try to get at the guest list!

Absolutely the worse service ever experienced

by colerick3 about Ristorante Di Giuseppe

This restaurant with charming outdoor seating was two blocks from the apartment we rented on via Fillippo Turati. We decided to eat there on our last evening in Rome. The waitress seated us and seemed to have a good command of the English language. The menu was both in English and Italian and we took her advice on a bottle of red wine which was served promptly. We placed our order and watched her write it down in her tablet. My husband and I both ordered a variety of bruschetta, salad, and he ordered a pasta dish and I ordered a bowl of pasta e fagioli. About 20 minutes later, my bruschetta was served and his pasta. We were surprised that we didn't receive our salads first. We waited another half an hour trying to get the attention of our waitress while my husband's pasta got cold any my bruschetta became soggy. Finally, the waitress came over and wanted to know if we wanted to order something else. I told her we were still waiting for what we originally ordered. She checked her book and related back what we had ordered and then asked what the problem was. I explained that we never received our order except the now cold pasta and soggy bread. I asked that my husband's pasta be reheated and my bruschetta replaced and that she serve his bruschetta, our salads and my soup. She came back about 20 minutes later and slapped two bowls of salad on the table but didn't bring any dressing for the salad. She never returned with the bruschettas, my husband's pasta or my soup. After two and a half hours, I told my husband that we were leaving and I wasn't paying for anything. He left 20 euros on the table and as we started to walk out, the waitress stopped me and said I couldn't leave. She said something to another waitress who immediately returned with a bowl of soup but I was so out of the mood by then and we left. There was no excuse for the lack of service other than she was too busy flirting with a table of young men to dish up a plate of pasta and a bowl of soup. . Can't say ... never got to eat anything but a salad.

Roman Trattoria in Monti

by MM212 about la Taverna dei Fori Imperiali

Located in the the beautiful district of Monti, la Taverna dei Fori Imperiali serves authentic and excellently prepared local Roman dishes, including tonnarelli cacio e pepe and carciofi alla romana. It is a great place for lunch or dinner when walking through the picturesque neighbourhood. The restaurant is also convenient for anyone visiting the Imperial Forums as it is located on a short walk north of the area (southern side of Monti).

Comments