Principe B&B

Principe B&B
Venere.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Rome

A portion of the Domus Flavia complexA portion of the Domus Flavia complex

getting ready to pass underneath the archgetting ready to pass underneath the arch

Tom bests Gladiator David, May 2007Tom bests Gladiator David, May 2007

The ColosseumThe Colosseum

Tour of Vatican May 5, 2008

by Cubsfan

My wife and I have one shot at seeing the vatican museum, Sistine chapel, St. Peters, etc., on 5-5-08. We are looking for a guided tour that will be informative and help us pass the ques. We would like to take the 5 hour private tour, but it is too expensive unless you have several people involved. Is there a way to join a private tour or organize one?

by sirgaw

There are a number of companies that do organised tours and you get into the Vatican Museum before the general admission. I've got a page on our experience doing a tour with about 50 others, but you look at their web site www.tourinrome.com There are other companies as well.

by icunme

Antonio - where are you? - abarbieri has some good info on his pages
also check lacristina pages
I have sent you info also

by jim816

We used contexttravel.com last March. Had a private tour for eight. The tour was 4 hours and they were awesome!!!!!!!

by Cubsfan

Thank you for your very helpful responses.

by abarbieri

Full information is available on the Vatican Museums web site. Here is the link to it: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html
This is what it says about guided tours:
GUIDED TOURS FOR INDIVIDUALS:
VATICAN MUSEUMS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (2 hours)
The tour itinerary takes visitors through the most significant cultural and religious areas within the Vatican Museums: the Pio Clementino (classical antiquity), the Geographical Maps and Tapestries Galleries (Renaissance art), the Raphael’s Rooms and The Sistine Chapel.
From March through October:
from Monday through Friday at: 10.30am - 12.00am - 2.00pm; on Saturday at: 10.30am and 11.30am
From November through February: everyday but Sundays at 10.30a.m.
Rates: full fare € 23.50; reduced € 18.50
The above rates include admission to the Museums, guided tour service and headset.
HOW TO RESERVE
It is necessary to book in advance by fax.
Bookings are valid only if you receive our fax confirmation to be shown at the “Guided Tours” desk on the day of the visit.
For guided tours of individuals, an advanced booking is needed from one month to one week to the date of the visit.
USEFUL INFORMATION
Tickets have to be purchased the same day of the guided tour.
Meeting point and departure is from the Guided Tours desk inside the Museums.
To avoid any queue, all visitors, individuals or groups booked with this Office, are entitled to enter through the main gate of the Vatican Museums on Viale Vaticano. Facing the Vatican Museums Entrance door, the line on the right is specifically for reserved guided Vatican tours.
We suggest to arrive at least 15 minutes before schedule.
All the reservations, dates and departures time may be changed or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances related to activities of the Holy Father.
Cancelled guided tours may be rescheduled.
Visitors not attired properly will be refused admittance.
If there is no written replay from our behalf, the booking is considered not valid.
OFFICE FOR GUIDED TOURS
Fax reservation : +39.06.69885100

Travel Tips for Rome

Worldwide Pilfering Crisis II

by mrclay2000

In the later empire, Rome had lost much of its ability to feed itself. Most of the grains and corns were imported from provinces in Egypt and Africa. Italy had almost lost its entire capacity and experience in agriculture. Throughout the city you'll see Egyptian sculptures that are not tributes to the older culture (now the grainary of Rome), but rather pilfered originals, stolen when the province was conquered.

Cripta dei Cappuccini (Crypt of the Cappuchins)

by Jeannkelly

While doing some researches on dark tourism sites in Rome, I decided to visit this place together with some colleagues...The place left me wanting-to-strip-my-clothes-off-right-away after I went out of the catacombs coz I wanted to shred off that "eerie" feeling (usually I feel this way after visiting a cemetary), a sign that I wanted to left the macabre feeling in the place rather than bringing it at home.

Yes, the place is indeed so ghastly and horrid. The collection of bones and arranged into some artistic masterpieces is enough to make the place horrid. Perhaps some "dark tourist" are inspired by the macabre art of the place. However, I find it too much. It's not for the hipbones that are arranged into altars or backbones made into hanging lamps (yes, those bone-lamps will be hanging over your head as you walk through the length of the crypt!) or a child's skeleton attached to the ceiling, no! It's the thought that some artists had the stomach to touch these human bones and made some pieces of artwork out of it!

I thought the place exhudes a far-fetched catholic doctrine that perhaps not so preached in church (that of the cappuchins'), which in my own opinion is too barbaric (making art out of human bones!).

Alright, if you want to "scare" yourself a bit in the eternal city, visit this place. It's a different tourist offering of Rome that is surely only for those that dare to thread the not so known spots...

Open everyday from 9am-12nn, 3-6pm.
No entrance fees but donations of any amount are accepted.

Buses and Metro

by wodensson

Transport
We got a weekly CIS card from a kiosk. That covers you for the week on all buses, metro, trams etc.
You have to validate it before your first journey. Thats it then. They cost 16 euros and are well worth getting.
The metro system is easy to work around, as are the buses.
We went to Pompeii and caught the train to Naples, 22 euro return. There are 3 different types of train, all different prices and speed of journey time. So check the timetables before getting your ticket.
At Naples we got the Circumvision metro to Pompeii scavi, that was 4.50 Euro return.
That was all easy enough and straight forward.

A Hidden Gem in the Heart of the City

by OnTheRoadGoombah about il Brillo Parlante

A colleague in Rome recommended this restaurant -- and for good reason! I am always weary of restaurants in the "touristy" parts of cities, but this one may have me rethinking my position.

I only wish I hadn't had such a big lunch earlier in the day. I skipped the primi and went straight for a secondi of chicken and lemons with a side of roasted potatoes. The food was very good and prices very reasonable for the area.

The decor and atmosphere of the restaurant was fine, but a little pristine for my tastes. My colleague's wife ordered the wine and I wish I had gotten the name of it. It was superb...sorry I can't help with the name, though. Maybe you can keep trying them all!

anciant history

by celsomollo

This is one of the most magnificent places I' have ever seen.
It is located near a square where you'll finde some artists selling their paintings and pictures.
You'll also be able to strike a pose with some gladiators that perform for tourist in front of the building.
I don't know about seing the pope, but the colosseum is a must see atraction.

Comments