R/110 Ungheria

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Rome

Inside of the PantheonInside of the Pantheon

Roman Columns and Marble Floor (Apr 09)Roman Columns and Marble Floor (Apr 09)

Septimius' archSeptimius' arch

Barberini - Palace frontage.Barberini - Palace frontage.

train longer than platform.

by delcity

years ago sometimes the trains coming into the large train station at rome from outside italy where longer than the platform. if you were in a car that was so far from the engine that no platform was next to your car you could pick up your things and move forward until you came to a car that had a platform next to it.
or you could exit the door of your car and walk on the rocks for the length of several car until you got to the platform.
does this situation still occur in rome or any other place in europe that you know of.

by leics

In Rome........no, I have never experienced it. The platforms at Termini station are very long indeed.

Nor have I experienced it anywhere else in Europe. In the EU I think that walking along the track is not something which would be permitted for passengers, under health & safety rules.

If the train is too long for the platform (very unusual, but I suppose it can happen at some smaller stations) then passengers leave through doors opening onto the platform, moving down the train as required.

There is no advantage to walking along the tracks rather than inside the train and it would be both uncomfortable and very awkward if you have luggage.

by qaminari

Exiting a railway carriage other than at a station, alongside a platform, is generally forbidden in Europe, so when a train calls at a station where the platform is too short for it there would generally be an announcement asking people to move down to the appropriate carriages. It's not that easy to get off without a platform anyway as it's a heck of a drop down (did it once in England when train stopped beyond the station...supposedly illegally but as everyone was getting off there wasn't much the staff could do). I never arrived in any station in Rome on a train that was too long for the platform, and don't know of anywhere where you have to - or even can - "walk on the rocks" outside the station.

by pedroswift

Was just recalling this problem recently with friends we collected from a rural station in France a couple of years ago. They did not get off the train or so we thought. After the train departed the station, there they were struggling along the track bed with their luggage. Can I recall catching a train in Naples where for all intents and purposes their was no built up platform just pavement at track level??

by leics

I've caught one or two trains with the platform at track level. Can't recall where, not in the UK.

I suppose it is quite possible that some trains would be too long for rural station platforms in many European countries (assuming they stopped there). But one would expect an announcement to use the doors from the forward carriages only.

Walking on the tracks is definitely not the norm. Your poor friends, Pedmar!

by pedroswift

wrong pedro.

Apologies.

I had just replied to a thread on which Pedmar had taken part, so muddled you up.

Am sure I would not do so in reality.:-)

Travel Tips for Rome

I went to Rome with my sister...

by donarumr

I went to Rome with my sister Paula (see
paulapes). We had lots of fun and food
food food. It was great having a friend
of hers, Sergio, to show us the city.
I can't improve upon her Rome page, but
I will warn you to be careful not to let
your backpack get caught in the closing
doors of a bus 'cause bungie jumping off
city buses can be dangerous. Take it
from me!

Take plenty of cash!

by wjstallings

Take comforatble shoes or sandals.

I kept a pair of lightweight pants in my bookbag for the Vatican Museum (We didn't get to go in though because the line was so long), but the city is warm enough to wear shorts! Take washcloth. Take a good camera. Take plenty of cash because many places do not accept credit cards!

Shopping on Via del Lavatore/Via delle Muratte

by nyonnetti

This isn't a particular shop but the streets that leads you to Trevi Fountain. Our hotel was located just minutes from Via Del Lavatore, which we so much enjoyed strolling down this street, shopping in the little shops and boutiques that line this fantastic street. As you scoot past Trevi Fountain, continue to wander down Via Del Muratte where you will find a some great outdoor street vendors selling beautiful jewelry and scarves at a great price. Scarves, jewelry

Good Food, Good Price!

by moscoba about Gaudi

Restaurant where the locals eat....we were the only tourists! Very good food and very good price! A pasta dinner for $11-12! Not bad! I paid 45 Euro for the three of us with 3 pizzas, 2 pastas, and drinks! pastas and pizzas

nice place

by uglyscot about "The Full Moon" or Luna plena

The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and is usually busy. I have been there a few times but usually as a guest so don't know the prices. the service is good, but not quick as Italians like you to linger of the courses.
I have tasted a number of dishes from veal, chicken, roast potatoes and chicken salad and enjoyed all of them. the lemon ice cream and vanilla. the lemon is absolutely gorgeous.

Comments