R/250 Eagle

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Rome

Magical trapizzini at ZeroZeroCento!Magical trapizzini at ZeroZeroCento!

Sunset at Palazzo Barberini (Apr 2009)Sunset at Palazzo Barberini (Apr 2009)

Santa Maria MaggioreSanta Maria Maggiore

Er Sor GuidoEr Sor Guido

Bancarelle?

Hi,
I´m not really into shopping (except for books and art materials), but I´ve been told about Bancarelle and I´m curious about it. Can someone tell me if it is an interesting stroll going to Porta Portese market? Are there bargain antiquities there?
Thanks!

Bancarelle means "stalls".

by mccalpin

To be honest, it has been 1,000,000 years since I was at the Porta Portese market...we always laughed about it because the story in Rome was that if your car radio was stolen during the week, on Sunday, you would just go to the market there to buy it back...;-)

I saw more interesting books stalls in front of the train station - between Piazza dei Cinquecento and Piazza della Repubblica, although I have no idea if they are still there.

There were also the occasional book store and art store (like color plates from books) up near the Piazza di Spagna...again, all very dated information...

At Porta Portese, I would be worried about the provenance of anything I bought there...

Bill

by sandranunes

Thanks Maurizioago and mccalpin!
I´ll check these books stalls you´ve mentioned.

by Maurizioago

Once you've read some shopping tips on various Rome pages here you could have a look at; www.romeguide.it.

Thanks, Maurizioago,

Adeus!

Travel Tips for Rome

Aerial views of Rome

by tini58de

We found a couple of places that offer a great view over the city:

- the cuppola of St. Peter's
- Monumento Vittorio Emanuelle II (Piazza Venezia)
- the cafeteria inside the Capitolian Museum
- the Pincio (next to Piazza del Populo)

Each and every one of these points has been so rewarding and the views have been spectacular!

We didn't either have the St....

by daarth

We didn't either have the St. Peters in our program. So the morning before our airport bus, four of us went there. We didn't have time for the museum, but we thought we'd get as far as the dome. When we came in, it was all full of people. After a while we could hear people clapping, and soon enough, there he was. Yes the tiny speck on the picture is the Pope! I actually got to see him! And he didn't look at all like giampiero6 !?! We never got to see the dome.
This is fast sightseeing.

20 postcards for €1,-

by jeoren about Souvenirs (General)

There are several souvenirshops that sell 20 postcards for €1,-. It sounds unbelievable, but it's true. Most of the postcards are useable to send to your homecountry. There are also postcards looking like made in Microsoft Word. But who cares receiving them?

One of the souvenirstands that sells the postcards is located opposite of the Castle Sant Angelo.

Driving (and walking) rules

by baronedivandastad

If you happen to have to drive around Rome, please remember that it's not that big nightmare as people depict it. Millions of drivers negotiate the streets of our capital every day, and very few of them actually die or experience serious damage to either themselves or their cars.

Actually I'll go even further: I hereby claim that Italy (and especially Rome) has the most civilized driving habits on Earth.

Before you start storming VT with angry replies, hear this: among the large countries, Italy has the highest car density in the world. If you decided to put all the cars in Rome on the street at the same time, you'd be disappointed to find out that they would not fit. Yet, you see very few accidents, and most of those are due to scooters, careless pedestrians (usually tourists) and bad road condition.

So you'll want to know how to drive (or walk) around when in Rome. Since VT does not allow me to put them all in a single tip, I'll produce several tips, one for each rule category.

Taverna De' Mercanti

by tini58de

Located on a piazza in Trastevere, this restaurant is in a building whose appearance does not seem to have changed much in 1000 years! The ancient walls and the beams give you a 17th century feel and the antique oil lanterns, keys and copper pots and meat hooks really add to a wonderful atmosphere!

Go at night and check out the torches on the side of the building!

We were so fortunate to have VT friends show us this place, otherwise we would never have found it! Thanks a lot, Cathy and Gianluca!

The pizza was great and the place - although huge - was crowded! Good thing that Gianluca and Cathy had made reservations beforehand!

Comments