Via del Tritone 82, Rome, 00187, Italy

Venere.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Arizona_Girl's Profile Photo

Small but nice

This was recommended by our travel agent. The rooms are a bit overwhelming in their decoration. But the food was good, the beds were fine (not I'm in love they were perfect, but comfortable), the facilities were clean and taken care of. The location was Fantastic. We walked to a lot of places (Spanish Steps in one direction, the Triton in another, in the Trevi in another). Polite and helpful staff. Rooms are small, but sufficient. Close to food and shopping also, easy walking distance. No Wi-Fi, but then none of the hotels we looked at advertised that they had Wi-Fi. And quiet for having a main busy street out the front.

Unique Quality: Great location, average price for location.

More about Residenza Antica Roma

Great place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member rr8803

Although one of the higher priced hotels during our trip to Europe, Residenza Antica was worth it. The room had a warm rich feel to it and came with a mini bar and CNN. Breakfast was the best we experianced for European hotels. We were within walking distance to everything and loved the location. The only downfall we experianced was that the front desk did not have alot of information about site-seeing other than offering us the standard "tour brochure".

We would definately go back!

Great hotel for the price

by TripAdvisor Member lmratlanta

We had 5 rooms for 3 nights. All rooms were clean, well air-conditioned and quiet. Beds were comfortable. Bathrooms were clean with plenty of hot water. Staff was courteous and helpful but hotel does not offer concierge service. Their English was limited. Each floor has its own sitting area. Great location. Could walk to all sights. Though Colesseum was about a 25 minute walk. We loved eating at Il Chianti restaurant which was nearby. We felt we got a good deal for the price we paid which was 160 euros.

Unbeatable location and a good price

I think that Rome is like New York in a way - they are both cities that you can do incredibly cheaply or very expensively BUT it's hard to find a hotel room that is affordable, clean, and in a good location in both towns. I think in Rome one of the options that has all of those things is the Antica Roma. My husband and I spent 8 nights there in June and for the most part we were satisfied with the choice. Our double room was 160 euros per night which after searching websites high and low for weeks I found was a good price for a decent hotel in Rome in June. The location as fabulous. Just as they say on their website it's about a 5 min (maybe 6 or 7) minute walk from the Metro. The area is bustling with good transport (several buses and taxis travel down the street) and there were always people on the street so we felt that it was quite a safe area to be staying and walking around in at night. The best part is that you really can walk almost everywhere. We were there in the middle of a heat wave - 90 plus degrees each day with 80-90% humidity - not ideal walking weather. But still we took the Metro only twice during our stay just because everything was so accessible. You are really close to the Trevi, Spanish Steps, several Piazzas, and there is shopping all around you. Even an upmarket department store is at the foot of the street. Not terrible far aware is the Pantheon, Piazza Venezia and lots to look at all around you. The hotel itself is not grand and doesn't provide many extras so if you are looking for plush, this is not the place to go. But it's a good hotel at a good price in a a very pricey city for hotels. There is no bar, which would have a been nice, but there are plenty of bars in the area so it wasn't a great hardship. There is an elevator but it's very small and really only holds two people and a couple of suitcases. The room was small. On the plus side the rooms have air conditioning that you control (which I know is not always the case in Rome) and there is a mini bar. The staff is friendly but not overly so and for the most part they do speak english. Of the 5 or so desk staff that we encountered during our stay, only one didn't speak English. Note that if you want a real shower you may have to ask for it. I made the mistake of assuming that I would have one and the room only had a bathtub with a hand shower. There was a hook on wall for the handheld shower which might have made it into something resembling a real shower, but as there was no shower curtain I decided not to take that option. In the interest of complete honesty I must admit that our room, though quiet (in the back) and full of character, seemed a touch worn. Once again, if that kind of thing bothers you, the Antica Roma may not be for you. But if you want a hotel room that is walking distance to most of the major sights and a really convenient ride on the Metro (which is air conditioned and clean) at a good price in an expensive city to stay in, then check out this hotel. By the way, if you stay in the area, try the Trattoria that is across the street down the little side street (you can see the outside eating area from the front of the hotel). The food was very good, and at a good price. We actually had dinner there twice!

a great little hotel in a great location

This is definitely a hotel with a personal touch. We stayed in 2 rooms (double and a triple) for 5 nights. The building itself is a 400 year old monastery (according to the website), which makes it sort of middle-aged for Rome. The location is excellent: right on Via Tritone, about 2-3 blocks down from Piazza Barberini and its metro stop. You can be at the Spanish Steps or the Trevi Fountain in 5-10 minutes.

We stayed in mid-August, which brings up a couple of issues: #1: It's hot. We're from NC, so we know hot, but the difference is that much of Rome doesn't seem to have embraced air conditioning. It's something you get used to, but it was nice to come back to our dark cool air-condiitoned rooms at the Antica after a sweaty day trudging through the Vatican Museum. Our rooms were fairly spacious, with a nice bonus in the double--a semi-private terrace. I'm not sure if this was the only one in the hotel, but it made our stay especially nice. Issue #2: If you don't know about Ferragosto, be prepared! In the middle of August, Rome and apparently all of Italy takes 1, 2, 3, even 4 weeks off and everyone goes to the beach. Obviously not everyone leaves, but the proportion of Romans to tourists seems to be about 1:5. Although major stores stay open, many of the smaller shops and restaurants that you may have come to see or visit are "chiuso" (closed). And I spent almost an hour on our last day looking for an open Tabac to buy postage stamps. Finally someone at the hotel pointed me to the only open Tabac for what seemed like miles around.

I speak virtually no Italian, and we relied on the staff to give us pointers such as the one above. Almost everyone spoke some English, and they were frendly and helpful. The one exception was the desk clerk who insisted that the Borghese Gallery was a "5 minute walk" away. More like 15-20 minutes at a sweaty uphill clip...

As mentioned, our rooms were clean and comfortable. The beds were so comfy and the rooms so quiet that we overslept our first morning (one note--no clock of any kind in the room, bring a travel alarm). The bathrooms both had shower stalls and a bidet, and were fine.

Breakfast was OK--a combination of tasty pastries, a few cereal choices, a little fruit and yogurt, some cold cuts, etc. But my chief gripe was the coffee--they use some sort of food-service vending machine to produce something that tasted like instant coffee. Same for the juice--on a bad day, the juice machine served slightly flavored water. There's a staff person in the dining room all morning. The least they could have her do is fix a real pot of coffee, especially in Rome, where coffee is a way of life!

But that's a minor quibble. Even during Ferragosto, I could get a good cup of coffee americano up at Pepy's on P. Barberini. The attitude of the staff was summed up by an exchange I had with the gentleman who I presume is the manager/owner. I wanted to know how much local phone calls were, and his reponse essentially was "it depends. If you just make a few, I'm not gonna charge you, but if you start to make like 10, then I will". That's the personal touch.

BTW, we made 2 calls--no charge. We'll be back...just not in August.

Average hotel

Stayed here in July 2005, with my daughters. Small room, but very well decorated and clean. Of the hotels we stayed at in Venice, Florence and Paris this one had the worse bathroom. Skimpy on amenities. Check out said 12 noon, but they were calling room @ 11am telling us to check out.
Twice we had to ring bell to get into hotel and wait, as desk clerk had left front lobby and locked door. Location was good and felt safe on street at night but would stay somewhere else next time. Probably a bigger hotel.

Great one night stay

by TripAdvisor Member ricechrisb

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night when our booked hotel was flooded in a storm.

The location is excellent- near the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain, 200m from Barberini Metro station.

The decor is frightening in the room we stayed in (can't remember the number). I got nightmares from the gold and red wallpaper, bed covers etc. But you don't go to a hotel to study wallpaper.

Service is good.

My room was small but well equipped with a nice bathroom.

Noise was minimal.

The breakfast is typical of many European hotels but still very nice.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anybody, though I have no idea how much it would have cost...

Fantastic location and beutiful decor!

How can anyone actually complain about this hotel.
Ok, it's not the cheapest I think we paid £110 per night in April 05 but the loctaion is second to none for the price.
It's right next to the spanish steps and the trevi fountain and all the other attraction are a walkable distance away with the Vatican 20 mins one way and the Colosseum 20 mins the other way. What more do you want???

The hotel itself is beautiful and the decor just screams italian from the reception area to the rooms themselves. We were lucky enough to get two adjoining rooms with a very large shared balcony (15ft x 7ft ish) with tables and chairs. The rooms themsleves were very nice. The walls were lined in fabric not wall paper and they were spacious and clean. The breakfast room was very quaint and more than adeqaute to set you on your way. Pastries and cereal as well as fruit and cheese and cold meats. The usual really.

A true Gem.

The hotel recomended taxi driver was a bit a of mad man on the way back to the airport - but thats driving in Rome for you!

Fantastic Hotel - Great location

by TripAdvisor Member JBYorkshire

Stayed in this hotel in Dec 2004, we had a twin room which was beautifully decorated. Would recommend it to anyone as close to all the main sites. 10min walk from Roman Forum and Trevi fountain few minutes round the corner.
Staff very helpful and gave great advice.

Would not Stay There Again

by TripAdvisor Member aplutzer

Some might consider the rooms at the hotel to be quaint and charming. I found the green brocade on the wall to make the room dark and dingy.

Although the breakfast room was pretty, coffee was from a machine that my wife, a confirmed coffee drinker found horrible. I would go across the street to the cafe and gelato bar and for a euro sixty get very good espresso and meet her at breakfast.

The hotel was a non-smoking hotel (as are many in Rome) - for this I blame my travel agent who assumed that in Rome all hotels permitted smoking.

Despite all the negatives, the location on Via Del Tritone, between Piazza Barbirini which has a metro station and a taxi stand and Via Del Corso, another major drag was very very convenient. Within walking distance of the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps and with a load of buses.

However, the only answer I ever got when I asked the hotel how to go somewhere was to take a cab.

When I asked the owner manager to call American Airlines and confirm my flight reservations, he told me that I would be better to do it myself "for security reasons".

This was billed as a four-star hotel but I found it to be at the level of a Days Inn or Motel 6 in the States. And at $250 a night US, quite poor value for the money.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member onmrgn

We stayed here in September 2005 and overall it was a great experience. The best thing about the hotel is its location- very convenient. If there was one thing that was bit of disappointment it was the size of the bathroom and especially the shower. The breakfast was nothing to rave about, but it was okay to get the day going. Overall though, the service was good, and the location can't be beat for the price.

hotel

by alpa77

Does anyone know of the Residenza Antica Hotel in rome...? I may book a room there...wanted to know if the location is good.

Re: hotel

Via Del Tritone 82, 00187 Rome, Italy
sorry

Re: Re: hotel

by ARoman

Right baroque downtown, close to Colonna Gallery, Trevi Fountain, Venezia square and the Governament buildings. In the walking area, but with a lot of public trasportation and authorized cars around.

You can check it on the map on www.atac.roma.it

Enjoy.