Residenza D&D

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Venere.com

More about Rome

Santa Susanna alle Terme di DioclezianoSanta Susanna alle Terme di Diocleziano

Original Mural at Square of GuildsOriginal Mural at Square of Guilds

My favourite fountain - Tritone by BerninMy favourite fountain - Tritone by Bernin

Looking at the Keats Shelly House at SpagnaLooking at the Keats Shelly House at Spagna

Dinner on Christmas Eve, PLEASE HELP

by wilcofan

I will be arriving in Rome in the am on Christmas Eve. I have made reservations for dinner on Christmas Day but I have had trouble finding a restaurant for Christmas Eve that is not terribly expensive.

I realize that many places will be closed in the on Christmas Eve and that is ok b/c I don't NEED to eat in a real restaurant that night, but does anyone know if we will have trouble finding somewhere to grab something like pizza for dinner? Just want to make sure that SOMETHING (other than super expensive restaurants) will be open so that we dont go hungry

Please HELP!

by Himmeltraveler

I am in the same situation, and am planning to make a reservation at a kosher restaurant.

by mccalpin

I am guessing here, because neither time that I lived in Rome was I actually in town for Christmas, but I would think with the number of Oriental and other ethnic restaurants in the Termini area, that there should be several that would be open on Christmas Eve...after all, in the States, if you want to eat out on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, what was the traditional solution? Eating Chinese, of course!

When you check in your hotel on the morning of Christmas Eve, just ask the people there what they think...I would imagine that the cheaper places that will be open don't have Internet websites, so you wouldn't be able to find them anyway on the Web...also, the grocery stores and eating places in major train stations (e.g., Termini) tend to be open every day of the year, so that's another place to look...

Bill

by Tara74

Almost everyone closes for Christmas Eve. But you will certainly find chinese restuarants open.

Travel Tips for Rome

Happy New Year!

by rita_simoes

Spending the new year in Rome is quite funny, especially if you stay sobber to watch the silly things people do around you :-)

I spent the midnight at home, because it can be an adventure to get to the city centre by car when there are thousands of people in the streets. Via dei Fori Imperiali, all the way down to the Colloseum, was packed with people watching the italian (roman) singer Giorgia's concert.

There are fireworks all over the city, so you don't need to go to the centre if you don't like crowds. Of course, watching fireworks with the Colosseum in the background must be great - maybe I'll try it next year!

Anyway, take your bottle of champagne and come out to the street to celebrate! Italians are very efusive and outgoing people, so be prepared to answer when they wish you 'auguri'!

Ah, I didn't see that street the next day, but I hope someone cleaned all that mess...

Via Giulia

by maartenw

Almost parallel to the Tevere river is the Via Giulia; one of the first Renaissance streets (16th century plan by Bramante). An impressive yet cosy street to stroll.
You can take one of the little buses of line 116 to get there.

by belgianchocolate

Ryanair is a gift from heaven.
Whatever people say about it , it is safe ,
easy , fast and cheap.
The staf is friendly and efficient...

I know about the snobs... bla bla this , bla bla that.
It is a choise. I like to spend my money on
a fine restaurant instead of....

And no I don't miss the miraculous white
sandwich that doesn't crumbles.
When we arrived there was even a men with
a little yellow car waiting for us and waving
orange flags. Not the best performance I've
ever seen , but the intention was nice. ;-)

Have a look at their website.
In my experience there are always good
connections between the city you are visiting
and the 'alternative' - smaller airport.

For Rome-ciampino you got a few options.
A bus brings you to Termini - 8 euro , and
you can get a return ticket as well for 12 euro.
We chose the 8 euro option.

By public transport you can get a bus to
metro-station Anagnina and get on the A-line.
We chose that option to get back. Cheaper
but it takes a little more time.
(it was the most easy option for us.)

Franco-Italian food

by rattay about Pier Luigi

This restaurant was a block away from my apartment and every time I walked by it, it was crowded. I mean, really packed. So i decided to try it one day and I soon realized the key to eating in italy: if a restaurant is full of locals night after night, EAT THERE. For Pier Luigi, it's best to arrive early or make reservations as you might not get a table otherwise. The food is a perfect blend of French and Italian cuisine. I am not sure the exact name of the dish, but it was a sort of pasta dish with a saffron sauce. Maybe I just like saffron a lot, but this dish was so rich and perfect and not like anythink I've had before.

Pantheon

by 50939

The Patheon is in my opinion the most impressing building in Rome.

If you have a litle bit time look to the "circle" of sunlight in the diameter. It change every few minutes his "face".

If you want to read more about the Architecture, you can dowload a pdf-document (in german) from
archinoah.de: