Via San Nicola da Tolentino 50, Rome, Lazio, 00187, Italy
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Rome

Roman subway graffitiRoman subway graffiti

Sculpture of a PopeSculpture of a Pope

Vatican museum tickets queueVatican museum tickets queue

The Window at Moriondo & Gariglio, May 2007The Window at Moriondo & Gariglio, May 2007

1st May - a Roman Holiday?

by Rachael71

We'll be in Rome for a few short days at the beginning of May. Is it true that all the major sites and attractions will be closed on 1st May for a public holiday? We are only in Rome for three and a bit days and I'm now worried that we won't have the time to see all the things we had hoped to (I guess I should have done more homework in advance!).

Are restaurants also likely to be closed?

If attractions like the Forum, Pantheon, Colusseum etc. are likely to be closed, does anybody have suggestions for what we could do as an alternative? We have a good guidebook with suggested walks around the city, but other ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Rachael :)

by craic

i dunno about the holiday - in my experience holidays just arrive from nowhere in italy and effect stuff quite randomly - go with the flow is always a good idea in rome

there will always be somewhere to eat - rome is always full of tourists going - OH no is this a holiday?

so you will not go hungry

the pantheon is always open unless they have a mass on - that is quite random but also short

the trevi fountain is always available to view - as is the ponte rotto

by effeti

May 1st is labour day in Italy as in most of europe.
Not necessarily the tourist related activities will be closed (you have to check), and for sure not restaurants, churches etc.. And there so much to see just walking around!
Ciao
Francesco

by Rachael71

Thanks to you both for the quick answers and the reassurance.

I had read elsewhere on the internet that Rome would be virtually a ghost town on 1st May which had made me worry a little, so it's good to know that won't be the case. I guess the moral of this tale is always to use VT as the first source of accurate travel information!

Rachael

i was there on 1st may in 2006 and i never even noticed the day was different

mind you i nwasn't treying to get into the vatican museum or whatever

i have never known rome to be a ghost town - be great if it was a couple of days of the year -

by effeti

probably "ghost town" was referred to the fact that may 1st is a traditional "out of the town gates" day trip.... and so the romans leave the town heading in crowds to do picnics all over the country.... But tourists an many romans enjoy the town as well.
Ciao
Francesco

by craic

oh i never noticed that effiti - maybe i just thought good oh - not so many people around and forgot to wonder why

by Rachael71

Ah, that makes sense Effeti. Thank you!

by lubama05

Hi all, May 1st is a more important holiday this year than usual. On May 1st Christians celebrate Ascension Day. Rome being the home of the Pope, it will probably be affected by this. I don't really know Rome, so try and contact one of the local vt-members. Enjoy your stay.

by Rachael71

Thanks Lubama, that's useful to know. We'll save our visit to the Vatican for a different day of our stay.

by Maurizioago

On the 1st May a big concert usually takes place in Rome. Lots of Italian singers, band and some International pop stars will be on stage for free.

by vic70

And this concert will be free of charge, if I am not wron? Infront of the Basilica S. Giovanni, write?

by vic70

by Maurizioago

Yes, it's usually in front of the S. Giovanni in Laterano basilica.

Try to google a bit...

Travel Tips for Rome

Puccini's Tosca at Castello St'Angelo.

by breughel

I love classical music but I'm more oriented to chamber music than to opera. For me the perfection of music results of three instruments: Piano, Violin and Violoncello i.e. the classical trio.
This said Puccini and his Tosca are great moments of music and song although I am a bit lost with the libretto of Puccini's Tosca. I understand that this happened after Napoleon's Roman Republic and the restoration of the Popes powers in Rome but I'm getting confused with the political prisoner Angelotti and the painter Cavaradossi and their sentiments for the diva Floria Tosca.
Clear for me is the fact that baron Scarpia, a prelate and chief of the secret police is a sadist who wants to conquer Tosca.

Here we move to Castel St'Angelo to hear some of the best arias of Puccini on the upper terrace of the Castel. Nobody can forget the sublime "E Lucean le Stelle."
Meanwhile Tosca stabbed Scarpia with a knife, Cavaradossi has been tortured and a firing squad shoots him. Now, this is the crux of the matter, the bullets should have been blank but they were real (tricky Scarpia!).
Here the desperate Tosca jumps of the ramparts of the Castel St'Angelo.

I can assure you that this scene is most difficult to play.
My wife saw this opera performed at the Terme di Caracalla. La Tosca jumped over the fake rampart but instead of lying quietly on the other side until the end of the opera she stand up before the end provoking a general laughter in the public.
"Gloires et servitudes de l'Opéra!"

Great graphic art was the original poster by Adolfo Hohenstein for the first production of this opera in 1900 at the Teatro Costanzi in Rome.

there is a place where you can...

by richy

there is a place where you can find yourselves any time you need to go inside yourselves visit the franciscian convent punti di vista convento S Maria del Giglio,49
01023 Bolsena(VT)
t.fax modem 0761799066
puntidivista@pelagus.it
this is the adress im going back before august driving from edinburgh passing through europe if yur gonna be in the vicinity why not try it yourself
or check out www.madglass.co.uk

Red City Sightseeing Bus AVOID AVOID!

by hzangel2

I hate to do this but I'd like to recommend to all tourist traveling to Rome and wanting to do a "Bus tour" to AVOID the red City sightseeing bus at all costs!!
I chose this tour cause I have done it on 2 other occasions, (Edinburgh & Cambridge) and absolutely loved it. However, the bus in Rome is horrible.
in 4 days, my husband and I never caught the bus. It only comes every 2-3 hours, not every 20 minutes like I asked the gentleman who sold me the tickets.
Not to mention, when I bought the tickets, I first asked (in italian) if he spoke english and he said yes, and i said, i'd like to make sure this bus comes every 20 minutes, and he said yes mam!
I still have the unused tickets that I paid 15 euro each for. I do plan on complaining to the company. We went back to the place that i bought the tickets, and they offered to trade if for the Christian bus, which was no good for us considering my husband is not religious at all.
There is, however, a green city sightseeing bus, and while we sat on the curb waiting for ours (only to have it never show up) we saw plenty of those busses passing by... I would recommend that bus!

Hope i've helped!

Don't miss the best gelato in Rome!

by va8eha about Blue Ice (or Blue Nile)

Both times I've been to Rome, the Blue Ice (or was it the Blue Nile -- sorry, I can't find my journal) has been rated the 'best gelato in Rome'. Try it -- you'll have to agree! Plus, it's by the Trevi Fountain and you know you have to throw a coin in, else you may never return. :)

Romantic Sunset Drink

by Hugh02

Probably the best place for a romantic sunset drink is the roof garden of the Hotel Raphael near Pizza Navona. The hotel has a fully furnished rooftop bar and restaurant and is a spectacular place for a sunset drink, with views across the city in all directions. This is a smart place and a chance to dress up slighly.

Comments