Residenza Santa Maria

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Residenza Santa Maria

Residenza Santa Maria - really an oasis

by TripAdvisor Member ppuake

Residenza Santa Maria is perfectly located for exploring Rome. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are well equipped and very clean. The good breakfast is served in a lovely small room in the basement of the hotel, a perfect start for an exhausting day in Rome. My direct booking by e-mail was just smooth with friendly and fast response. The transfer from the airport to the hotel was perfectly arranged. The only (and for us very small) negative point was some lack of daylight in our room, this however was the price for having a quite room without any disturbance during the night. I was many times in Rome before and I was allways disappointed about the quality of accommodation. This time a very positive surprise - MANY THANKS to the friendly and most professional team at RESIDENZA SANTA MARIA. For my next stay in Rome I don't need to look around anymore. (EK - Germany)

Nice Accomodation, Friendly Staff

by TripAdvisor Member ekkeb

Stayed at the Residenza Santa Maria for one night. It's a charming little hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Had room 1, off the lobby. It's also on the ground floor. I was worried about noise from both the street and lobby, but it was fine. (Then again it was a Monday; not sure about how it would be on the weekend.) The room was clean and simply but nicely decorated. There was a flat screen tv on the wall.

The hotel booked a taxi to the airport for me - thr driver was friendly and showed up on time.

Great Location & Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member patty41684

My husband and I stayed at the Residenza Santa Maria while in Rome on our honeymoon. It is a great little hotel! Even though there are only 6 rooms, it has amenities of a normal size hotel. The 24 hour front desk service, a locked entrance to the main front door for security, a tasty breakfast...
Trastevere (the area where the hotel is located) is a great residental area of Rome, you definitely get a better feel of Roman life, as opposed to staying some where near all the major sites. But don't think you can't walk to all the sites from the Hotel, the Vatican is about 30 minutes (if you don't get lost!) and the other sites are less. The front desk will also call you a taxi if you don't feel like walking, which we definitely used to the Vatican once and to the train station. Our room was a very nice size, we had one king size bed and a small twin (not sure why the twin was there but it looked more like a couch). The room was also clean and the bathroom was just fine. I would absolutely recommend this hotel, I loved the small size, it felt much more intimiate then a big hotel, and the location. Enjoy!

Relaxing at the Residenza

by TripAdvisor Member SophiaLoren50

What a lovely hotel! We stayed three nights in a large, lovely, clean, quiet room (even though all rooms are on the ground level, noise was not a problem). Terrific shower and sparkling bathroom. Lovely breakfast, although some of the fruit could have been fresher. Staff have to be the nicest we have met in a long time - certainly nicer than any other hotel staff we have encountered in Rome. They were friendly, helpful and were able to recommend some great restaurants. The Residenza itself and the Hotel Santa Maria are both beautiful - just don't be put off by all the graffiti on the surrounding buildings and the general air of grottiness! After the initial feeling of apprehension on alighting from the taxi, we found the area to be vibrant and full of bustle - as two single females, we did not feel any further worries about going about in Trastavere either by day or night (not something you can say about other parts of Rome). The place is full of great restaurants and is within walking distance of all the tourist spots. Would definitely recommend the Residenza or the Hotel (lovely courtyard to sit out in, lined with orange trees) to anyone staying in Rome and will definitely stay there ourselves when we return to the Eternal City

Ideal Spot

by TripAdvisor Member gorfam

This was our first trip to Italy and Rome was our first stop. The Residenza was an ideal spot to begin our stay. Great room, great location in terms of being able to explore the City. Walked to the Vatican, easy bus ride to the Colloseum, and within easy walking distance of most of the attractions we wanted to see. Also, the neighborhood is fantastic. Narrow streets and lots of local shops. Ate at three wonderful restaurants, all of which were within a block or so of the Hotel. The staff was most welcoming and accomodating. Best Cafe Americano we had during our entire two week stay in Italy. If you want to be "off the beaten track" a bit, this is a great spot for you. Steve and Peggy, Chicago.

Wonderful Rome hospitality experience

by TripAdvisor Member AmsterdamPoppyfan

The most wonderful hotel, which is ideally located. It is quite small, which we prefer, it has a very good atmosphere and the Staff makes you feel very welcome. The Staff is really always courteous and warm. I would certainly go to this hotel again when next in Rome and I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates courteous hotel Staff, good atmosphere and terrific location.

Lovely & Friendly

by TripAdvisor Member ToshiTokyo

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days. It was very difficult to get there by a rent-a-car since the street is very complicated and busy with many local people and turits for dinner and also full of one-way street. However, we managed to get there with supports of this hotel staffs, who are really firendly. We could enjoyed staying this time at Roma since this hotel is really nice and it had a bigger room than I expeced and the hotel is located in "Trastevel". We could also use Internet in common space free charge anytime we want.I will stay at this hotel without doubt next time when I will come to Roma since I will be able to enjoy the real Roman life !! Be careful not to go to "Trastevel" by car !!

Wonderful stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Myrtleway

Great location and wonderful helpful staff. Room was comfortable and clean and the breakfast was delicious. Within walking distance to everywhere, even to the botanical gardens nearby. Highly recommend it to anyone.

Very nice stay, nice people and a brilliant location for restaurants

by TripAdvisor Member andre047

I stayed in this lovely hotel with my wife in April 2008 and for sure we will be back. Nice people and a good atmosphere. The breakfast was good and so were the rooms.

I did already reconmended this hotel to my friends and they agreed with me!

Excellent Location and service

by TripAdvisor Member Ntalia

I stayed in this lovely small hotel with my mother. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the rooms were spotless and the surrounding area is great for late dinner and a few drinks after a long day of sightseeing.

Would definetely go back.

Natalia, London UK

french windowfrench window

Hostaria al Gladiatore + Coliseum, Roma, May 2007Hostaria al Gladiatore + Coliseum, Roma, May 2007

Ara Pacis Museum, Interior, May 2007Ara Pacis Museum, Interior, May 2007

painting of depth perception showing sculptingpainting of depth perception showing sculpting

Taxis in Rome and Florence

by Glen30

Hi,

I would like some information about taxis in Rome and Florence:

A) Are most taxis in Rome and Florence operated by meter, or do you usually negotiate a fix price with the driver before hopping into the vehicle?
B) Is it customary to give tips to the taxi driver? Or paying the exact amount will do…

Cheers
Glen

by Manara

All taxis that operate within a city must have a meter and the driver must turn it on. Only rides to out of town destinations can be negotiated. Among taxi drivers in Rome there are several who try to play tricks on foreign tourists, so always check that the meter is turned on, and if you notice something strange don't be afraid of making a fuss.
Normally we don't tip taxi drivers in Italy.
If you need a taxi from the airport to the city, or viceversa, in Rome, there is a fixed rate of 40 euros. In Italian we call it "tariffa fissa".

by craic

I found taxis in Rome to be reasonably priced and the drivers knbew where they were going.

If you don't speak Italian well write down the address and show it to the driver.
Always get a taxi at a rank or ring for one. There are scammers around.
And try to have close to the correct money. One driver said he couldn't change my 20 euro note for a 15 euro fare - so he ended up getting a 5 euro tip.
(I had my mother with me and she was feeling ill so I didn't hassle about it.)

The drivers don't expect tips and try to give you your change back even if it is only a little bit. But like I do in Australia, if it is only a euro or two I don't want my change back.

by Glen30