Rex Hotel

Hotel Rex
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• domenicococozza's Profile Photo

close to the opera house

We thoroughly enjoyed our week at this 4 star establishment. Very convenient for everything Rome has to offer. The room was very comfortable and spacious with plenty of wardrobe space. The minibar was useful too. The staff were very helpful if a little on the stuffy side.

• Luke9's Profile Photo

Very uncomfortable rooms

Stayed here for 3 nights in September 2006 and hardly got a sleep.

The aircon did not function and when I complained I got told all the rooms were the same. I persisted and requested a change of room. The other room also had the cool function disabled on the aircon. This was in a rainy September weekend, it must be hell in summer.

The bed in the first room was a slab of soft foam rubber, the second room was exactly the same. The worst beds I have ever slept on.

Unique Quality: No aircon in rooms!

Directions: Near Termini station

More about Rex Hotel

Depends when your traveling...

We stayed at Hotel Rex on the second part of our honeymoon during the last week in October. Good things- Nice breakfast, Large room, and Friendly staff. Negative things- No AC in October, Dirty floors and couch, and very small shower. Our biggest complaint it was 80 degrees when we were there (unusally warm for late October) but the air conditioning in the building was turned off for the winter. With only one window and no breeze our room was at least 85 degrees. We don't like sleeping in the heat so this was our biggest complaint. Be aware if your not traveling in June, July, or August you could have no AC and it could be quite warm-espcially after walking around all day. We would only stay again if we knew the AC would be working.

great place!

stayed for 3 nights over Christmas. Staff were wonderful, room was lovely and big for Rome! breakfast was good. good location close to Termini but on a quiet street. Well worth a stay, the library has a good selection of books and boardgames in many languages which is great when it's lashing rain outside!!!

Great Hotel, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Elisa_B

This hotel was in a very good location, close to two train stations. There was breakfast included with our package and it was very substational. The room was very clean and had a in room safe and very clean shower. The room was quite large. The staff were very helpful. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Perfect until Departure

We stayed at this hotel location was excellent, staff were excellent as was the food. The room was a good size and clean we had no complaints about it until our departure. On the morning we were leaving we were down stairs at approximately 7am as we had to leave early to catch our flight breakfast starts at 7.30am and the tables were set, the cereals were out as were the croissants and juice and there were staff there. When we asked if we could have breakfast we were told no and given a breakfast bag which contained dry toast, 3 jams and juice. We were very disappointed with this as the food was there and tables were laid and staff were on duty and it would have been good to have an enjoable breakfast before we left we could not see the difference between having it then and 25 minutes later? As I said wonderful hotel, pity about breakfast on departure.

Rex rocks 9 year old

by TripAdvisor Member Nogbad

We (2 adults and 1 nine-year old) stayed two nights in the Rex in July 2006. By the simple expedient of fitting the room with a Playstation 2 and having a wide range of games titles available to borrow, our stay was transformed. We were able to mix the old (Colisseum was a favourite) with the new (FIFA 2005) and even managed to take the young man to the Opera (Madame Butterfly) without complaint.

The hotel staff were charming; the rooms were clean, cool and well appointed; the breakfast was not the Hotel's strongest point, but still competent. There was even a games room and library for family entertainment, and a toy/cartoon corner for the younger child.

Well located two strides from the Teatro dell'Opera this was a good Hotel experience.

If they overbook - just cancel your booking!!

by TripAdvisor Member KennardStGermain

Just want to say firstly, I did not end up staying at Hotel Rex.

I booked this hotel on a website, but they overbooked and emailed me two days before stating this and saying I was to stay at Hotel Commodore just up the road on Via Torino. If I had known what it was like I would have cancelled the booking. From the look of the pics of both hotels on the internet, Hotel Commodore is far inferior.

I went to Hotel Rex to say I wasn't happy and they basically played dumb, making it look like they didn't really speak English. Once I started speaking Italian to them, they then backtracked and made up excuses saying there was nothing they could do.

I just wanted to put this post here, to say if it's overbooked and they move you to the Commodore, say no, and find your own accommodation.

Comments