Roccoforte De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Agoda.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 91% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Best Hotel In Rome

This hotel is amazing - 5 star all the way. We stayed there in December 07 and our room consisted of a large sitting room/lounge area with top notch electronics and TV, a large bedroom (with another tv) that connected to the marble bathroom. The sofa was also a sofabed and there was even an extra 1/2 bathroom for anyone not sleeping in the master bedroom. Our room overlooked the garden which you cannot see from the front of the hotel.
    George Clooney and his lady friend were at the hotel the same time as us... Icing on the cake :)

Unique Quality: Secret garden area

Directions: Right by the Piazza del Popolo, walking distance to Spanish steps, Trevi Ftn, Parthenon etc

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

THE Most Posh Hotel in Rome

I lived next to this hotel and was taken to its restaurant for brunch. I took a stroll around the gardens and into the spa/fitness area. This entire place is spotless, classy, and new. Marble is abound and everything is absolutely beautiful. They have a full spa and pool, gym, etc. etc. The buffet breakfast was full of perfectly sliced meats, fish, desserts, everything! I looked at the brochure and the rooms were as immaculate as the rest of the hotel. The hotel is well-known to host most of the rich and famous that stay here, and you will notice all of the Porches and Ferraris parked out front for the guests. The doormen are always helpful and friendly. Overall, if I had the money, this is where I would stay.

Rated a true 5 star hotel.

Unique Quality: Recently renovated to perfection.

Directions: Steps from Piazza del Popolo

• boodablimpie's Profile Photo

In the heart of Rome

We only stayed in this hotel for two nights so this did not bother me much, but the bedding was not very comftorable. It was made of a fabric that felt like dryer sheets and was rough. Other than that, my stay was enjoyable.

Unique Quality: The hotel was located in walking distance from several major sights. The Piazza del Popolo, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Colosseum, the Forums, the Pantheon and Vatican City were all relatively close. The restaurant food was good, and the concierge were very helpful in booking tours and providing information. I would recommend this hotel for its location.

Directions: It is located on the right side of the Via del Babuino right before the Piazza del Popolo.

• KelseyQ's Profile Photo

A Great Location

The weekend was great .
    I needed more time to see everything though.

The Hotel was well appointed with new creature comforts.
    Great courtyard and excellent location.

The Spa nice though I recommend booking before you travel as it was impossible to get in for any treatments.

More about Roccoforte De Russie

Worth the try, but rooms not worth the value...

by TripAdvisor Member Tokyomom212

Without doubt, Hotel De Russie is a classy hotel in a great location. However, as is the case with too many big name European hotels, this one too, was simply too old. The entrance hallway and the lobby was fabulous. They redid this area nicely. The problem was the room. A EUR 500 per night room gets you a view of the back of the building next door... The room had a cute little nook area with a sitting table, but I was looking into windows with old file cabinets and papers stacked up to the ceiling. Below our windows was the rooftop of a small building next door and it was trashed with rubbles and old wires. The room itself was very mediocre. So unless you're going to pay up for a suite, this is yet another hotel on the "to-do" lists to check off and never go back again.

Concierge Out of Control

This was my second visit to Rome in the last two years. Both times we stayed at the Hotel De Russie. After my first visit, I would have ranked Hotel de Russie as one of the best City Hotels at which I have stayed and, as a result, I recommended the hotel to at least three friends who have stayed there. The hotel has a terrific location, the inner courtyard is gorgeous and the rooms are modern and fresh. Breakfast, buffet or al la carte, is wonderful, although pricy. It is the sort of hotel at which you could "hang out" all day.

Quite unfortunately, my visit this summer did not live up to my first visit in 2004, mainly because the concierge desk graft is out of control. With the exception of one person at the concierge desk, Allesandra, I felt rightly or wrongly that all other persons manning the concierge desk only recommended restaurants if they would receive something in return from the restaurant for their recommendation. I also felt that the concerge desk always recommended the most expensive alternative -- like the hotel van to the airport at EURO 120 versus a Mercedes station wagon cab at EURO 55. It was disappointing and at many times insulting. If you asked the concierge about all alternatives, including the least expensive, Simon would treat you to a condescending snear, like somehow you weren't good enough to stay at his hotel if you did't want the most expensive. Give me a break. Who is the guest paying EUROs 600+ a night? Just because we pay that much doesn't mean we throw money away needlessly. The desk is out of control and it is a top-down problem. Someone in upper management needs to reign in Simon's team. They need to go back to basics. Such open rudeness and condescension would never happen at better hotels, like the Four Seasons.

A wonderful dream from which I did not want to wake.....

I just returned from travelling in Italy for one month-- a single professional wanting a dream vacation. I stayed at the Hotel de Russie my first week there and they set the bar so high that my experiences at other five star hotels paled in comparison. As with everything, I do believe that your attitude affects the way that you are treated. I felt like nothing less than a royal princess being received warmly by the reception... The reception gave me a wonderful overview of the city. My experience with the concierge was that they were extremely helpful and provided me with excellent recommendations on where to eat (most of the time). Travelling alone -- they always managed to reserve the best restaurants for me and called ahead -- Upon my arrival at these places I was warmly received-- my recommendations that I would like to pass along as far as restaurants are Bolongnese, Gusto and Ferrara *****, avoid Clemente and Bacaro-- overrated. I think that most people who complain herein hold people at the desk accountable because of their expectations. When such anticipation is not met with a perfect outcome-- of course there is bound to be disappointment. In Italy - do not take things personally and remember you are in a different country. Take responsiblity for finding something out for yourself-- ask around -- research bus schedules etc. I would recommend to take the taxis in the evening and pop onto the metro during the day for your field trip excursions-- just a short jump and hop away from the Piazza de Popolo....

This is the place to stay-- I almost stayed at the Exedra which turns out is in a seedy area near the Termi station and stayed at the Hassler my last night in Rome because of lack of availability at de Russie -- now the Hassler was a complete waste of money-- but as far as the de Russie--- the large jacuzzi bathtub to soak and relax in after a day of sightseeing and the luxurious feel of the linens on your tired body make this Hotel worth every penny. As to the soaps they are organic and fresh smelling-- bring your own favorites if you are that picky. the de russie gets a 9.25 as far as I am concerned.

OK but....

by TripAdvisor Member markmDanville_Ca_

The Russie is in the heart of Rome. It's a quiet oasis from the busy streets and plaza that border it. The service is above average and very helpful for those of us that have a marginal command of the Italian lnaguage.

The Russie features rooms that range from the "tiny" to average size... The price vs. the room size/features knocks this fine hotel down to an average rating. The prices rival that of the Four Seasons w/o the feel or ammenities.

On the positive side, the gardens and patio are a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, and a morning walk or run allows you to enjoy the streets of Rome sans the crowd. There are small eateries and shops off the main shopping streets that will provide a quiet "neighborhood" feel with fine food and genuine local hospitality... this could be an above average hotel if it was priced about 25% less.

Overpriced - Laundry list of complaints

Thank goodness we only spent 3 nights/4 days there. Of the twenty days of our honeymoon, I was unhappiest with this hotel. My husband and I regularly stay at top tier hotels and this is by far the unfriendliest and sloppiest. Room is overpriced, furnitures getting old, our bathroom had a sour/reeking smell upon check-in, the person whom we delt with at front desk was coldly accommodating after having us wait almost two-hours to check-in, the concierge advised us to visit the Vatican City on the day St. Peter's Basilica is closed (our personal tour guide, fortunately, rearranged the schedule for us). Some of the staff were nice but mid-tier staff needs work.

Holiday in Rome

by shinosg

Hi all, i'm reaching Rome with my boyfriend on 29th Dec morning for 6 nights. Pls help me with some tips on hotels as I haven't decide where to stay. Any ideal which hotels in nice, clean, comfortable 4 or 5 stars hotel where near to shopping districts where i can shops for branded goods, food, pubs, disco. I'm from singapore and we have Orchard Road where major shopping and hotels located. Anything that's similar? Oh ya, near metro where i can travel around to all place of interests. How cold will that be? Any place is a must go?During New Year time all shops close? I'm too lazy to do research, pls help me, thanks so much.

by Maurizioago

See "www.romeguide.it"

Via Condotti is the place where you can buy some design things.

by DeoPitt

I agree that Via Condotti is where you probably want to be. There is good shopping, etc. in that neighborhood. If you haven't found it yet on a map, its the road that travels due east down from the Spanish Steps, or the Piazza di Spagna. There is a nice hotel on that street that I'm trying to remember the name of... North of the Piazza di Spagna is the Hotel di Russie (if you want 5 star), see http://www.hotelderussie.it/

For a central location, stay in the area between the Spanish Steps, the Forum and the river. You will be able to walk everywhere. There is a good list of recommended hotels at http://www.fodors.com, look up hotels in Rome at or near Piazza di Spagna. You'll need a jacket for the weather.

by abarbieri

Dear Singapore Lady, Rome is not the coldest place in Italy but end of Dicember is quite cold.I use to work at Hotel de Russie and I confirm that it is a great place,modern, amazing garden and very good service.If you are looking for something more traditional try Hassler or Eden both 5 star.There is a new place in town located in a bulding right in front of the Spanish Steps but they charge about 700 euro for a double and much more for the fantastic suite with balcony overlooking the Square.
The best shops in town are all locted in the spanish steps are:Via Condotti,Via Frattina,Via Borgognona.
Shops will be closed only on January 1 and open all other day from 10am till 7pm.
Places that you must visit are: St.Peters Basilica,Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel,Colosseum and Roman Forum,Trevi Fountain,Navona Square,Moses by Michelangelo, Borghese Gallery but there are many other things.
Give me more details about your preferences and budget and I will be pleased to arrange a fantastic personalised itinerary for you including accommodation,restaurants,tours and transportation.
Kindest regards, Antonio www.conciergeinrome.com