Bastioni Di Michelangelo 5/A, Rome, 00192, Italy

Mercati di Traiano - Via BiberaticaMercati di Traiano - Via Biberatica

Coat-of-Arms, Pope Gregory XIIICoat-of-Arms, Pope Gregory XIII

Hiring a Guide for Rome

by rogocop

What is the best way to hire a guide for 3 days in and around Rome for 4 adults?

Re: Hiring a Guide for Rome

by royalempress

We have found the hotel where you are staying can arrange a tour for you. Of course, they do take a little cut. It is nice, however, to be picked up at the hotel rather than trying to find a travel agent's office.

There are basically two types of tours, private or a bus tour. We have taken both in Rome. The bus tour was cheap and very organized. We could take two tours (morning and afternoon) and see most all of the major sites in one day. I did hate the labels that were on your chest and the guide's megaphone

A few years ago we had relatives visiting Rome for the first time and we hired a private tour guide. It was really a mistake. The price for his services was very high, something like 80 Euro a hour. This included a van as we had 6 people. After we had started the tour we found the guide was not licensed and he had to sneak into the Vatican and whisper his information. Later on the guide just stayed in the car and left us to explore on our own.... What a rip off!!! Make sure your guide is licensed!!!

Mike

Travel Tips for Rome

Visiting Christian Churches

by aliante1981

Christian churches - be they Protestant, Orthodox, or Catholic - are a vital part of Europe’s cultural, artistic, architectural, and religious heritage, and as such you are likely (and I really recommend doing this:)) ) to visit many of them. However, most of them are even today not only major tourist attractions, but also religious sites where people come to pray. This is something to be respected, and here are several pieces of advice I would like to give that might help avoid ill-feeling:

- Dress modestly, covering shoulders and most part of the legs (women in Orthodox churches might be requested to put on something to cover the head);

- Do not speak loudly - all the descriptions are better either read in silence or given outside;

- Try not to walk too much during the service;

- Avoid using flash in your camera near people you see praying;

- Respect notes that forbid entrance to some parts of the church that are designated as ‘for prayer only’.

Following these simple guidelines helped me when I visited, I guess, more than 1000 churches up to date:)))

PAPAL AUDIENCES
Some people...

by SirRichard

PAPAL AUDIENCES
Some people see it as an spiritual experience, some as a tourist attraction. I don't make judgements, only want to let you know how to get a papal audience, in case you feel like it.
Public audiences are held on wednesday mornings at 11 am, in the Papal Audience Chamber. Go in the morning hours to the Portone di Bronzo, which is located in the right colonnade in St. Peter's Square ( or write to the Prefetto della Casa Pontificia, Citta del Vaticano, 00120 Rome, telephone 698 83017, fax 698 85863). Fill the form and go to the Prefettura, 1st. floor.
And if you can't wait till they give you a date for the audience, the Pope also appears at noon on most Sundays in the library window, above St. Peter's Square (you've probably seen it on TV).
Warning: in august the Pope is on holidays. ;-((

Taxis----my nemesis!

by paulapes

Taxi drivers...what more can I say? They get the best of me most of the time...probably because I am either tired or just not paying attention. BUT, I think I've got the hang of it now...don't take a taxi from the street, have your hotel or a local call one for you---you'll have a better chance of getting a decent rate. Good Luck! :o)

Try good Jewish/kosher food for change

by WanderingFinn about La Taverna Del Ghetto

Somehow so fresh and different. Friendly athmosphere. I am not Jewish, but want to try different types of places and dishes, I find it interesting and it broadens the mind.

The place's menu changes quite often, which is also a plus. The athmosphere is cosy and the restaurant is not too big. Real white tableclothes and serviettes, which tells of a good restaurant.

Why not to check their web pages; they have their menu there as well as a picture gallery.

A reservation is suggested. So many years ago that I don't anymore remember what I ate; I just remember it was delicious. Something that we don't eat every day. That time I didn't remember to write down dishes eaten at all the places visited (sad).

Cappucin Crypt

by rattay

The Cappucin Crypt (yes that is where "cappucino" comes from) is where the Cappucin monks "buried" their dead. I say "buried" because, a better word might be "stored" or "kept." Its basically a series of rooms that are absolutely covered in bones. They used bones to make the chandeliers, make clock on the ceiling, skulls and shoulderblades to make putti etc. Plus there's a few in-tact skeletons wearing their robes just kickin it. If you are morbid like me, you will love this.

Comments