Rome City Hostel

Crowds outsideCrowds outside

The Temple of Hercules Victor, May 2007The Temple of Hercules Victor, May 2007

Closures in August?

by Addison833

My apologies if this is a repeat question...but I was planning on going to Rome in late August and early September, but I was told that pretty much everything closes down in August as Romans leave the city for vacation? Is this true?

Thanks,
Cailey

by leics

Many Romans do take an August holiday, yes.

But Rome is a capital city, full of visitors all year round......it does not become a ghost town in August.

I doubt you will find any closures which particularly affect you. You will probably find some restaurants/shops shut (especially smaller ones, although not so much those which cater for the tourist trade) but the attractions etc will be open as normal.

I'd be more bothered by the heat/humidity in late August than the possibility of closures, to be honest....try to get a hotel with air con if you can.

by Ina08

The main holiday week in Italy is around August 15th. As it is a Saturday this year what you can expect is the closing of restaurants and shops which are off the tourist tracks in more in the outskirts for about a week after August 15. Late August and early September as perfectly ok and no problem at all.

Things have changed compared to the past where all the factories and businesses closed down for the whole month of August. Now most Italians take maximum two weeks holiday, so there is a certain rotation of people.

As J mentioned heat can be a major issue. So lots of water to drink, cap or hat on top and refresh yourself at any fountain you find.

Enjoy your stay

by mccalpin

"but I was told that pretty much everything closes down in August"

As the others noted, this is old news. In the tourist zones, everything will be open, because they know that's when a lot of the tourists come.

It will be even nicer after September 15th, when a lot of the summer tours stop running into Italy (so the number of tourists declines), but any time is a good time to go to Rome, heat and all ;-)

P.S. Because you're going to be there at the end of the month, let me note that the Vatican Museums are normally closed on Sundays - except the last Sunday of the month when they are not only open (albeit with reduced hours), but the admission is free(!) - see http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Info.html for more info...note that the Museums are usually quite crowded on that Sunday ;-)

Bill

by Addison833

Thanks everyone!

I'm happy to hear that my source is out of touch :)

Our preference was to visit in October when the heat wouldn't be too crazy, but our vacation schedules won't allow it.

Thanks again for the speedy advice! I'm sure I'll be asking more as the trip approaches.

Cailey

Travel Tips for Rome

Fantastic..and I'm not even religious!

by buzzz

You MUST visit St Peters Basilica and the Vatican Museum when in Rome. I am not religious at all but the detail in the architecture and the beautiful works of art are mind blowing. Get to the Vatican Museum early. We got in the line at 8.30am and the museum didn't open till 8.45 but the line was already around the block. Once the doors opened we moved in pretty quickly though but by then the line was snaking out of sight behind us.

Packing List

by Vic5

It really depends on how you're getting there and where you're staying. We took backpacks, as we travelled by train from London. We also had several hours to spare in Paris on the way, so backpacks were ideal. As walking is probably the best way to get around Rome, comfortable shoes are a must! Trainers in cooler weather and sandals in the summer are fine. You also need to remember to bring clothes to cover up in when you visit churches. Guards at the Vatican check people are covered up (light trousers and a T-shirt are ideal). You can't use flash photography in the Sistine Chapel, so try and bring a camera with a manual flash.

Best Selection of Books

by Jmill42 about Feltrinelli

I saw quite a few of these shops around Rome, with the best being in the mall along Via del Corso, across from the Parliment building going towards Piazza Venezia. The other one I used was located on Via Babuino near Piazza del Popolo. The one in the mall definitely had a bigger selection of English books. You can find your best sellers as well as guide books and maps. For those down-time moments around town, you need a book right?!? Most books I saw were 8-12 Euro

Great Indian Dinner

by abi_maha about La Guru

Great food, nice hosts and value for money....we had a set veggie menu for 15 E pp. and we had some excellent masala chai!! :) thnx to my husband- he spoke to the hosts in tamil and got them to make chai, Indian style :DD awesome!!!! everything we had was excellent

One bad pasta,one good pasta

by Turska about Lost the name,see the photo

We were so hungry,and it was time of siesta.This was only place open if you don´t count McDonalds(and i don´t)..It was on our way to Termini from Spanish steps.We walked Via Sistina,via san Basillo and so on.
It is from either of those,in little death end alley-you may know it from photo. I had good Spaghetti aglio e olio(lots of good bites of garlic),but my husband had a lasagna,and if you watch the photo-you hardly know it´s lasagna,and he said it tasted like one of those,witch are sold at plastic-boxes at supermarkets-or even worse.If you are Finnish,he said it´s like"Jalostaja lasagne" served at school.

Comments