Rovati Guest House

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Rome

Altare della PatriaAltare della Patria

5th century Mosaics5th century Mosaics

Pasta for lunch ...Pasta for lunch ...

ANCIENT RUINSANCIENT RUINS

planning for italy in mid of dec.

by gnishag

hello

we are planning to vist italy in mid of dec on 18
i want to know is there is any night train from rome to venice around 10:00 pm on 19n dec.if there is any then it cost.

thanks

by cubsur

There are no longer any overnight trains on that route. The last direct train from Rome (Termini) to Venice leaves at 18.45 arriving in Venice Sta Lucia station at 22.33

The timetable does indicate a later train leaving Venice at 1930 which arrives in Venice Mestre station at 0102 requiring a change of train in Firenze (Florence).

by cubsur

Forgot to state the fare, which is 73 Euros.

by mccalpin

Yes, it appears from looking at both the Italian and German rail websites, that the ICN #774 "Marco Polo" will stop running after December 12th, leaving this route with no overnight service. I will post more info if I find it...

Bill

by leics

You can check the Italian railway site for train times, details and fares in English:

The last train on 19th leaves Rome at 19:30.

by azz8206

This happened to me and is a warning.
I did an overnight train from Rome to Venice and it was a horrible experience. First of all the trains are packed and people are standing in the middle of the hallways and to find and get through the throng of people on the train is near impossible. I had to stand in the smelly hallway of the train for 3 hrs before I found my sleeper room. Not a very good experience and I will never travel by train at night again. One way you can avoid all the hassle of going through the crowd is look for your car number on your ticket and then stand in front of the area the car is supposed to stop at and embark there.

by Manara

There is no point in paying 73 euro to take the train at 19.30 and arrive in Venice at 01.02 with a change along the way. You can arrive at the same time in Venice with a direct train that costs much less and leaves at 19.00.

I confirm that there are no night trains any more.

Travel Tips for Rome

Last time I was in Rome was in...

by daarth

Last time I was in Rome was in 1978, also for a short stay over. Back then I got to see the Colosseum, Forum and Spanish steps. Now I moved the pics into a travlogue.

See the rest of the general tips for more info!

Pack Light! Carry On Only/Check 1 Bag on Return

by GuitarStan

My wife was very concerned about packing for carry on only. After a few days in Italy and the transfers we had to make in train stations and etc. she said "we still packed too much!" I can't suggest too strongly to pack light. We bought an extra inexpensive piece of luggage for packing our souvenirs and checked this bag in on our return trip home. We saw many people struggling with far too many bags in train stations and streets. With the new carry on restrictions, it actually made our decision to pack light much easier. Once we arrived at our first location, we simply bought what we needed. We left my wife's hair dryer at our last accomodation. IF your really worried about getting toiletries and such, they sell most of the essentials in airports. One item I was quite concerned with was exchanging US dollars into Euro's. The first thing we had to do was catch a train from the Rome Airport to Rome Termini train station, this required euro's. My local bank wanted to charge me service fees and such that was just crazy. When we were at the international terminal getting ready to depart on our flight to Italy I saw a small booth that said "International Money Exchange". I had travellers' cheques as a back up and asked if they accept these for exchange to euro's. It was no problem and my worries were unfounded. So, if your in this predicament, look for this exchange booth, I don't know if all airports have them but, they do at Cleveland Hopkins!

Terrible prices!!

by Henrik_rrb about D&G

Those who know me knows that I have a thing for D&G-clothes. They are expensive, but most of the time really nice looking, and of great quality.

Since I couldn't find the D&G-shop when I was in Dublin the week before, I was really looking forward to do some serious shopping in the D&G-shop in Rome.

Was I mistaken or what...??

Either D&G has shock raised their prices during the last four months, or that shop in Via Condotti seriously has missunderstood the price settings... I found two very nice t-shirts in the shop. The first was priced 250 euro. The second 450 euro.

For a t-shirt!? Are you kidding me?!

Needless to say there were no shopping made that day...and definitely never ever in that shop.

The shop itself was nice, although compared to the D&G-shop in Milan the staff was fairly arrogant, I almost felt like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" when I walked in.
And no, I wasn't dressed like a prostitute... ;)

But there sure are better shops to burn your VISA-card in Rome than this one...

If you still want to go there, there are women's clothes on the first floor, while men goes a level up. Nothing, no matter how rich you are. Way too much...

Trenitalia trains

by thirstytraveller

Standard gauge Trenitalia railways connect all major Italian cities. Train traffic is far from perfect, but at least it's reasonably priced and by far the best way to travel in Italy. I used regional trains for two daytrips from Rome. Ticket to Fondi-Sperlonga 110 km from Rome cost just 6.20 euros, to Tivoli it was a real bargain - just 2.30. Trains were usually about five minutes late, but when my travel companions were returning from Sperlonga, it was half an hour late! Luckily, I had taken the previous train, which was on time.
There are several different types of trains - from the slowest and cheapest regional trains to the fastest and most comfortable Alta Velocitta (high-speed) Eurostars. There aren't many high-speed railways in Italy yet, but they're being developed. At the moment, it's possible to take AV Eurostar train from Rome to Napoli or Firenze. New railways from Milano to Firenze via Bologna and from Milano to Padua are currently under construction. These new tracks are good for speeds up to 300 km/h, unlike those in use today which allow only 250 km/h. Milano-Bologna new railway should be in service by 2009.
The most convinient way to buy your tickets is to use a ticket machine at station - it's easy and all instructions are in English. Some machines take cash, but all accept cards. Remember to stamp your ticket in orange validating machine on platform before boarding!

L'Orso 88

by anne_h about L'Orso 88

We read about this place in Sandra Gustafson's fabulous Cheap Eats book, in which she recommends the antipasti. If you get it, make sure you're there with a lot of people--they must bring out about 10 plates of things like artichokes, red peppers, fresh mozzarella...it's all amazing but a bit much for only 2 people! I don't even remember what our primi and secondi were--the antipasti obliterated it all. L'orso means 'bear,' but I don't know what the 88 is for. the antipasti

Comments