Sant Anselmo

Piazza Sant Anselmo, 2, Rome 00153

Hotel San Anselmo
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• One of the nicest hotels I've ever been to

Unique Quality: Great location (near the Tevere, area of Testaccio and Trastevere, lots of bars, restaurants etc.), fantastic rooms incl. jacuzzi, wonderful breakfast - a truly fantastic place to stay in Rome!

Directions: From Lungotevere Aventino just walk up the hill...

• Museeuw's Profile Photo

Nice four-star hotel

We stayed in this hotel in October 2006, and we were really pleased. The rooms are all different and really beautiful. It is a little bit out of the centre, so at night you have to take a taxi to get back to the hotel, but the upside then is that the area is really calm and quiet. For my wife and I this is perfect after a hectic day in a city.

Unique Quality: Jacuzzi in all the bathrooms.
    The hotel has a deal with a taxi company: 40 euro to Fiumicino Airport (really good because by train you already pay 11 euro per person, and a taxi is much more convenient).

Directions: On the Aventino hill.

More about Sant Anselmo

Beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member wromig

My brother and his family had stayed at one of their sister hotels, the San Pio, and said it was a wonderful place to stay. My wife and I decided that for our 30th anniversary we would stay at the Hotel San Anselmo because it looked a bit plusher. The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are decorated beautifully and we had a wonderul balcony (room 820). The room also came with a small flat screen TV which was certainly nice. We thought the staff was very helpful assisting us in setting up taxis and making dinner reservations. It is always interesting to hear conflicting experiences which have been brought up on TA about the rudeness at the front desk. For our visit, we can only say positive things about these persons. The breakfast that the hotel supplied was the best that we had in Italy and eating it outside in the lovely garden area was just incredible. It was also fun to walk up the hill and look through the key hole where you could see a perfectly framed St. Peter's through the hole. It is a bit of a walk to sights like the Spanish Steps, certainly much closer to the Forum, but for the most part we did not mind walking. Cabs were difficult to find because of President's Bush trip there and also the demonstration that was going on. I know that the Metro stop was not far from the hotel but we never used public transportation. Rome is a great city to visit and we think that the Hotel San Anselmo is just a terrific hotel in a quiet section of Rome.

Great Hotel, Peaceful location

by TripAdvisor Member VeggieVeggie

We booked the San Anselmo from the reports on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed.

Really good room, comfortable and spacious, huge bathroom and our very own front door leading in from the garden. Lovely Hotel to come back to after a busy day around the Town, just far enough away from all the hustle and bustle. Very comfy beds. - slept like a log!

Breakfast was a buffet masterpiece, even for us vegetarians, and the breakfast area comfortable with a relaxing atmosphere. The location, as previously mentioned is very tranquil and pretty. However you do need to have a good pair of walking shoes - the Hotel is not far from everything but it is a good 10 minute walk to the centre of Town.

Visit the Orange gardens on the way into town for a Stunning view over Rome . And for vegetarians and vegans a visit to II Margutta veggie restaurant on Via Margutta (behind Spanish Steps) is a must. We went for lunch which was a superb all you can eat buffett but get there early - it gets very busy and the food was disappearing faster than the chefs could replace it.

For traditional Pizza & salad snack - (cheap, very basic but good service with paper table mats and plastic seating) go to Pizzarea Remo a 5 minute walk from the Hotel - best Pizza around.

I have have never been to Itlay before , my husband had, and although I found Rome daunting at first I warmed to it very quickly - the DK Rome guide book was a great tool for getting around. Great break, we wish now it had been a little longer. The great Hotel made it all the more special.

a gem on the hillside

by TripAdvisor Member Ambergatekirsten

We booked directly with the hotel, as it doesn't appear on standard websites, but I'm sure there must a cheaper way to do it. The hotel is set in a lovely district, very leafy, upmarket and quiet. The only downside is that it's a 20 minute walk from the closest part of central Rome, so you can't pop back after a hard morning's sightseeing. Very grand, if not huge, rooms, and a lovely garden to enjoy the excellent buffet breakfast, served at very guest-friendly times of 7-10.30am. In summary, expensive but a lovely place, and from reading tripAdvisor it seems everywhere in Rome is expensive....

Nice hotel, staff uncaring, aloof, and cold

by TripAdvisor Member jrtraveller

We stayed at the San Anselmo for one night in May. The hotel itself was very nice. It is located in a residential area and was very quiet at night. It is very pleasant walking the area around the hotel. The room itself was a bit small, but nice. We were, however, surprised to find that our double bed was actually two single beds pushed together. This seemed a bit odd for a hotel in this price range. We also inquired about taking a tour with Romeinlimo. The clerk simply printed a page from the website with the phone number and handed it to us. He did not offer any assistance in booking the tour. Furthermore, when I asked for assistance in placing the call, he stated he was not sure since they appeared to be U.S. phone numbers. They were not; they were Italian numbers with the country code added.

We also had another problem. We found that when we used the shower, water would leak from under the tub saturating the bathroom floor. When we mentioned this issue to the clerk on checkout, he seemed to have little concern for the problem and did not even offer an apology.

If you are looking for a quiet place to spend the night (or if your hobby is plumbing ;-), and you are not looking for assistance with your visit from the hotel staff, then you can stay here. However, if you are looking for full service, you may wish to look on.

We did take the tour, and Romeinlimo did a great job for us! Our guide was Carlo. He spoke fluent English and was incredibly knowledgeable. Their website is [--].

Beautiful place

by TripAdvisor Member OCTraveler82

My boyfriend and I stayed at the San Anselmo for a couple of days before returning home from a Mediterranean cruise. We read lots of reviews on tripadvisor and found the San Anselmo to be the place for us. We loved it here.

It's such a beautiful place to stay in a quiet neighborhood in Rome. All of the rooms are just breathtakingly beautiful. We had room 825 "Camera delle poesie". Our room is the white room with poems painted on the walls...so romantic! Also, it is one of the only rooms with a balcony. The bathroom is so cool. It has red lighting over the shower, which has I think over 12 different jets and shower heads! All of the rooms are decorated so differently, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms that they have. The breakfast that they offer is great, and definitely take advantage of the beautiful patio to eat or have a cappucino.

It is a bit of a walk to the metro (about 10 min), but once you get on the metro you can easily get to the Spanish steps and other attractions. Also, the Colosseum is about a 15-20 min walk from the hotel. It doesn't seem too far, but once you get to the attractions you still have quite a bit of walking to do. Once there, you can get on one of the hop-on hop-off buses. I highly recommend these services because they drop you off at all of the major highlights of the city. It is hard to walk all of Rome...it's just too big. We didn't mind being out of the main craziness of the city because we like to walk and take in the quieter parts of town, but do take that into consideration when booking this hotel.

The staff and service were excellent, and we will definitely stay here again when we come back to Rome. It is too beautiful too miss!

Amazing location, tranquil idyll

by TripAdvisor Member Amoose

I read the excellent reviews and the hotel certainly had a lot to live up to. We stayed for our wedding anniversary and were upgraded to a fabulous room with a giant bath and a ceiling with hundreds of tiny lights - super romantic. The area is great as it's very quiet and a welcome retreat from the tourist hordes. There are quite a few sites to see locally and some great local trattorias. The hotel is about a 25 min walk from the central hub, but closer to Travestere and Piazza Navona, so it's very convenient. The hotel itself was practically faultless...there is a lovely garden which we got to enjoy as the sun shone, breakfast is delicious and the service largely very friendly. The only exception being the head receptionist who was miserable and unhelpful. A real shame as his grumpiness brought the score down froma 5 to a 4 - take note!

Wonderful stay for our honeymoon!

by TripAdvisor Member travelnyc79

This was our first stay on our honeymoon and we had a wonderful experience at San Anselmo. They gave us a large, beautiful room with a private terrace. Upon checking in, they gave us champagne which we enjoyed on our quiet terrace. Our bathroom was HUGE (largest of all the hotels we stayed at).

There is breakfast every morning in their luxurious courtyard and gardens--it makes you feel like you are in a movie, because it is so quiet and beautiful. The hotel is in a nice, peaceful area of town but also walking distance to the Colosseum and other sights.

While the front desk is not as social and friendly, they do do their best to make your stay comfortable. One thing we found a lot is that hotels don't keep irons in the room but at this hotel it was easy because you could go downstairs and use the iron if you needed to.

It is really a beautiful hotel and we would recommend it to anyone!

Not worth the money you pay

by TripAdvisor Member EPWashingtonDC

I booked this hotel based on the number of rave reviews, but our experience at the hotel was quite disappointing.

First of all, we were given a ridiculously small room (room 826). It was so small, we could not get around the bed. We had a lot of luggage and could not find a spot big enough to unpack in the room, so we had to unpack in the bathroom since it had more space than the bedroom did. The closet was tiny too, definitely not big enough for 2 people. Our room was lavishly decorated, but all those draperies had so much dust in them, it was hard to breathe. The worst part about this room was a terrible, rock hard bed. I could hardly sleep on it and was waking up any time I had to turn. Also, when we checked in, our A/C wasn't working properly. We brought this up with the front desk and they never got back to us whether it had been fixed or not. In the bathroom, our showerhead was leaking and the siding on the bathroom walls was coming off. Also, there was no regular electrical outlet except the one for the shaver.

I agree with many previous reviewers that the front desk personnel are aloof and not helpful at all. We had quite a disappointing experience with them.

In addition, when I asked about an ironing board and an iron, I was sent down to the basement where they set up an ironing board for me. I had to iron a 4-day supply of clothes all at once since I didn't want to make the trip to that smelly dungeon-like basement again. I wouldn't mind such set-up if I paid $200 a night, but for the price we paid (around $370), I expect a service that can iron for me.

Although the area the hotel is located in is nice and quiet, I felt like we missed on a lot of experiences because it was too far away from restaurants and nightlife. An average cab ride cost us 10 Euros because drivers charged 5 Euros just to come and pick us up at the hotel. The restaurants around that residential area were not that great.

Overall, I felt it was such a poor value for the money we paid. I would not recommend staying at this mismanaged and run-down hotel as there are much better options in more convenient locations in Rome.

Hotel in Aventino or near the Pantheon

by MartyAP

Greetings....
We will be in Rome the end of October. We have been before so seeing some of the main sights
is secondary. We have reservations at the Albergo del Senato which is adjacent to the Pantheon.
I imagine it is a very central but noisy area. Also have reservations at the Hotel San Anselmo in Aventino. The Del Senato is a bit more $$$$.

I know Aventino is quieter but is it really out of the way to enjoy the nightlife? Don't want to have to take taxis everywhere. We don't mind walking but I guess sunset late October is early and don't want a very remote location...............AVENTINO or PANTHEON.....that's my question......Any thoughts?
Any other suggestions.

Kindly,
Karen

Re: Hotel in Aventino or near the Pantheon

by domenicococozza

The Hotel San Anselmo is located close to the Tiber about two blocks from the Tiber Island. There are some great restaurants in that pat of town and if you cross the Tiber to Trastevere you will find more. During the day, I'm sure you wont find walking from this hotel to the main attractions a problem, but in the evenings you may end up wanting that taxi.
Your other choice(albergo del senato)is smack bang in the middle of everything.

Everyone has their own ideas about their ideal location, but for convenience I would choose the latter.

Re: Hotel in Aventino or near the Pantheon

by mccalpin

"Really out of the way"? Well, the hotel appears to be about 900 meters on foot up to the Piazza della Bocca della Verita, which is about the area where you would turn left to cross the river into Trastevere. Actually, the Ponte Sublicio which goes into Trastevere farther south is much closer as the crow flies, but I don't think you can walk directly to it, instead, you have to skirt some large properties.

Alternatively, you can walk about 600-700 meters and be at the Ostiense Metro station, or about 800 meters in a different direction and be at the Circo Massimo Metro station.

I have known people who lived on the Aventine; they really liked it as a place to live, but, of course, they weren't tourists (they were resident foreigners), so they weren't worried about the nightlife (actually, most of them were Catholic priests, so they REALLY weren't worried about the nightlife ;-) ).

I think the reviews at tripadvisor.com on San Anselmo really sum this location up well: very nice neighborhood, cooler than the rest of the city (in October, one can hope that this is not a problem ;-) ), and less than a 15 minute walk (downhill) to get to places such as Metro stops, the area just west of the Forum, the edge of Trastevere, etc. Note that several of them did take Dominic's advice of taking a taxi back in the evening, just to avoid walking back up the hill.

Actually, it might be nice to stay in Rome someplace out of the rat race...but, of course, that is up to you...

Bill