Santa Costanza Hotel Rome

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• latinatraveler's Profile Photo

Moderately-priced hotel

This is a nice moderately priced hotel. Breakfast is included with your stay. The rooms are a bit on the small side (as is the norm in Europe). There were two of us in the room sleeping on a pair of twin beds. However, the bathroom was really nice and big--big bathtub, nice for taking a leisurely soak after a long day of sightseeing. WARNING: The hotel is a good 15 minute bus ride from the center of the city.

Directions: Outside center of city. Near Bologna metro station.

• FieryRedhead's Profile Photo

Charming Hotel

My mother and I just returned from a week in Rome and our stay at the Santa Costanza. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Rome!! I had read so many reviews from other tourists but didn't know what to expect until we got there. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. Everyone speaks English except for the late night clerk and all were extremely helpful. The breakfast is amazing!! Fresh meats, cheeses, yogurt, croissants and rolls, coffee, juice and pastries. Rome is such an active city. I can't imagine trying to run around all day without the breakfast to start us off.

The room had two singles pushed together, a large wardrobe, immaculately clean bathroom with shower. There was also a safe in our room which we kept all of our valuables in.

Transportation to and from the hotel is extremely easy. The hotel is located on Via XXI Aprile, 4, just south of the Santa Costanza intersection. To get to the metro from the hotel you can take either the 93 or 310 bus two stops to the Bologna station, then the metro (B line) down to Termini Station or further south to the Colosseum, Forum, Pyramid and anywhere else downtown. If you take the 60 Express from Santa Costanza (heading west) it will take you directly to Piazza Verona which is very centrally located. We never waited more than 10 minutes for ANY public transportation there, and we were running around at all times of the day and night. I also went out by myself at night and never felt afraid or that I was in any danger.

I will definitely stay there again!

• swinny's Profile Photo

out of the way, but nice

The Santa Costanza is a nice hotel located near the Bologna metro stop. The lobby, rooms, and staff are top notch with the exception of the guy who serves breakfast on weekdays who was, shall we say, a bit grumpy. The hotel is about of average price (expect to pay around 90-100 Euro for a double), although you can find places that are just as nice for a bit less. (See the nearby Hotel Laura) Santa Costanza is nearly a 1 mile walk from the nearest metro station (Bologna) so if you've got a lot of luggage, find someplace more centrally located or be ready to take a taxi (VERY expensive) or a bus.

Unique Quality: Some rooms have nice private balconies. All rooms have cable TV and AC.

More about Santa Costanza Hotel Rome

tomb of Constantine's daughter

by j3dnight

mausoleum of Santa Costanza :

this church built to house the tomb of Constantine's daughter has beautiful mosaics; alongside it is the church of Sant' Agnese which has interesting catacombs below. Bus 90 from termini via nomentana

Hours: Mon 9-12; Tues-Sat: 9-12, 4-6; Sun: 4-6pm

Same complex is St. Agnes church – ( joined with above ) Opening hours are the same for both at Monday 9am-noon, Tuesday-Saturday 9am-noon and 4pm-6pm and Sunday 4-6pm. There is also the church of Santa Constanza in the same complex which is worth a visit. Sant'Agnese fuori le Mura is easily reached by bus from Termini Station with frequent services including an express service with fewer stops

Enjoyed first Rome experience

I found the previous reviews helpful for my first trip to Rome and stay at Hotel Santa Costanza. My niece and I arrived Easter Sunday, late PM, and we were hungry so inquired of the hotel staff, Carlos (who was very helpful and spoke English well) about it--and Carlos recommended it. We had the best service and food plus the price was very reasonable for the quantity. The restaurant is just a short half block away across the street. We went back later in the week and the service was slower but the place was much busier that night. Had a nice room with a balcony. The morning breakfast was very nice and quite plentiful. Some of the staff were more English versed than others. The bus is very close but you need to buy a bus/metro pass to get on it. The metro is about 10 minutes away & across the street. There is a large grocery store across the street and a couple blocks down from the hotel. I was annoyed when told that it would cost each of us 55 Euros to get a cab from the hotel to the airport and it was a good deal (this was from the front desk the night before we left and I did not catch his name) but I knew from reading Rick Steve's guidebook that we could get a cab back to Termini Station (or hauled our bags onto the bus or metro) then catch the express train to Fuimino Airport for 9.50 Euros each. The cab ride from Hotel Santa Costanza was around 11 Euros so no where near the cost of the "good deal" quoted by the front desk. Loved Rome and enjoyed this hotel even though you really need to take the bus/metro to put you in the heart of things. That was easy enough to do and the front desk was very helpful and has a metro map to show which stop to get off to see whichever sight you want. Metro closes at 10 PM. Expect to walk a lot!

Not bad, but out of the way

by TripAdvisor Member swinny_70

The Santa Costanza is a nice hotel located near the Bologna metro stop. The lobby, rooms, and staff are top notch with the exception of the guy who serves breakfast on weekdays who was, shall we say, a bit grumpy. Trying to get a cappuchino out of him was like pulling teeth and I swear he sneered every time we asked for one. The hotel is about of average price (expect to pay around 90-100 Euro for a double), although you can find places that are just as nice for a bit less. (See the nearby Hotel Laura) Santa Costanza is nearly a 1 mile walk from the nearest metro station (Bologna) so if you've got a lot of luggage, find someplace more centrally located or be ready to take a taxi (VERY expensive) or a bus.

Just The Job

Ok, not the Hilton, but not their prices either. A lovely clean hotel located on the bus route (310) for the Termini. Surrounded by splendid public parks and, if you care to look about a little, unlike some reviewers, plenty of nice places to eat.

We had a great time there, and hey! a buffett breakfast far outweighs a contenintal breakfast any day. Yoghourt, ham, cheese, four different cereals, croissants, fruit filled and plain, fruit juices, tea, coffee, milk, fresh fruit, assorted bread rolls, butter, jams and marmalade. What more could you ask for?

We slept soundly every night, the double glazing quells any traffic noise to a mere faint hum, hardly audible and we were on the first floor overlooking the main road.
Before we'd settle down for the night we would open the windows and watch the traffic. Amazingly, not one crash.

There is a little Chinese Restaurant over the road the food is great, the prices are very competitive and the staff are friendly and attentative. The picture I have posted is of one of the reataurants "regulars" car. If you stay at the Santa Costanza, pop over if you see it parked there and say hello and let him know his car beautiful.

With regard to travelling into the town centre, the 310 bus stops right outside the Hotel, well, about 50 metres to the left as you go out of the front door.

A one Euro ticket (Billet) will allow you 75 minutes of travel on the busses and Metro.

We found the best way to reach the Hotel from the city centre was to go to the Termini, (Main Train/Bus/Metro Terminal) and catch the #310 bus.

Basically the bus travels through a few streets and junctions but only negociates two large roundabouts.
After the second roundabout (with the Metro entrances dotted around it this is, PIAZZA BOLOGNA metro station), the bus starts to climb uphill.
This is Via XXI Aprille, it passes a military garrison on the right about 100m after the roundabout, (although the garrison looks more like a small palace) and just after that a monument, (soldiers/pillar) on the left. The Hotel is the next stop at the top of the hill on the left.

All in all, a nice Hotel, very clean, comfortable and air conditioned. Colour TV, with english news chanells and radio, en-suite, mini bar etc etc.
Courteous and friendly staff make for a most enjoyable stay.
Also very easy for access to all the main attractions in Rome.

Paul & Karen Delaney.

just alright..

My husband and I stayed at the Santa Constanza Hotel in March 2005, and our experience was just alright..
The hotel was a about a 10 minute walk from the underground, it's surrounding area is a little scary when you first see it, (there's graffitti everywhere) but it turned out alright. The breakfast was very good and the room was a good size.. However, the staff could have been a little nicer, I called down to the reception area to ask a question about the bathroom and the receptionist told me in a rude way that he would call me back, but never did..
It's a nice hotel, but would I stay here again ? no , probably not..

nice little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member smokeydope

went to this hotel afeter reading the reviews and got what we expected. Nice clean hotel with about 35 rooms. We had a twin room which had comfy beds and a lovely clean bathroom- only problem there is not much clothes storage. Safety deposit boxes are free and the breakfast was cereals, croissants, yoghurts, juices and coffee- better than what i had read of most rome hotels. Not centrally located but there are several bus stops within a few metres that run all day everyday and it is so easy to get to termini or Bologna metro( 7 min walk)

Very Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member zahedlatif

Very good hotel. Located approx 3 miles outside the city centre. Transport links from the hotel very good. There is a bus stop around the corner from the hotel (no. 60 bus takes u to the city), and the nearest metro is Bolognina which is 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel. A taxi from the city to the hotel costs approx 10-12 Euros and from FCO airport 50-55 EURO's.

Staff friendly and breakfast ok and can be served in rooms for an additional charge of 3 Euros. We booked a triple room for 4 nights (for 2 adults & 2 kids) Room was a good size and had air conditioning which was a must during this time of the year with temperatures of 36C.

Hotel was very clean, staff friendly & helpful. Would recomend hotel for those who do not mind paying a little extra for a good hotel on the outskirts of the city. Several restaurants within 10 mins of the hotel - chinese is across the road, italian pizza restaurant left from the hotel 7 mins walk. Supermarket nearby right from the hotel & 10 mins walk and a good toy shop just before the metro station - in case u need any toys for the kids!!

Hotel Santa Costanza

Hello,

My friend and I will be travelling to Rome during the first week in Rome. We will be staying at the Hotel Santa Costanza in the area of Nomentana. The metro stop of Bologna is a few minutes walk away. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? It's a little bit on the impossible to change our hotel at this point in time, but I'd like to know what to expect. Comments?

Many thanks!

Re: Hotel Santa Costanza

by coccinella169

Hi,

I stayed in this hotel about 3 years ago; at this time it was newly renovated and so rooms were really nice and quite tastefully decorated. As far as I remember the only disadvantage was, that it`s really a bit far from the centre- about 10 minutes walk on a busy street to the metro station. Hope this helps, greetings from Austria.

by latinatraveler

Thanks for the post! I saw on the map that it was a bit retreated from the the city center. I don't mind all that much being outside of all the city noise. Taking a short /bus train ride doesn't bother me either. I live in New York City and it takes me an hour and half every day to get into Manhattan to get to work --- I'm sure it's not that bad of a commute.

by coccinella169

So, wish you a nice stay there in bella Roma!

Re: Hotel Santa Costanza

by FieryRedhead

My mother and I are staying there next week. I'll let you know how it is when I return. From almost all of the reviews I read the staff is great, the breakfast is ample and it's close to everything without being in the heart of downtown. I also called there today to ask them some questions and they were incredibly friendly and helpful.

Have a great trip!

by latinatraveler

THAT'S AWESOME! Please do let me know how your stay goes. Enjoy Rome!

Comments