Savoy Hotel

Hotel Savoy
Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Rome's Heavenly Hotel

My Husband and I stayed 8 evenings at the Savoy Hotel. It was clean, and well maintained.
    The rooms were fair sized, and the washroom was big as well. The room temperature was excellent a/c is available we were there in late August. The staff were very helpful. It is in within walking distance to many GREAT restaurants, and shopping. All the bus lines stop a mere 3 minute walk from the front door in Via Veneto. The hotel includes breakfast each morning, which has many many choices, (eggs kind of...well not my thing), but really good food. The upstairs roof top restaurant is very nice visually, but I found that staff, hovering.. and not is a good way. (the only negative). I would highly reccomend this hotel, the staff were exceptionally obliging and helpful in every way.

Directions: It is located very close to the Borqhese Park, and the Hardrock Cafe.

More about Savoy Hotel

save your money for somewhere better!! Shabtown..

We just got back from Rome, we stayed there for 5 nights (at the Savoy unfortunately), it was a big waste of money. They charged us 300 Euros per night for what they call a deluxe room when in fact it barely seemed sub-standard. We were waiting for this trip for a whole year, & we saved up for a nice vacation, but the Savoy made it a disaster. The room they gave us was next to the Elevator, we couldn't sleep, there was no view to mention. The furniture was run down, the room had a dark motif (black bed covers! God have mercy); the hallways were noisy with unruly kids. Their service was as bad as their furniture. They dont even have taxis available when you need one. When we asked for a taxi, urgently, they told us to go across the street to the other hotel's taxi stand. All this was after they had personally promised us their best room, and the best location. We highly recommend the Regina Baglioni which is a bit more expensive but worth it.

Wonderful stay, ... great location!

by TripAdvisor Member Southton

We stayed a few nights in the Savoy Hotel in Rome in July 2005. Overall, we were very pleased. We stayed in standard rooms, kind of small, ... but, you have to expect that for Europe (anywhere). The rooms were clean (trust me I'm picky), and had mini fridges and air conditioning (can't beat that for Europe in Summer). Hotel staff was friendly, although we didn't ask for much which would test guest services. The hotel was very quiet at night. Breakfast was good. It is served in their restaurant below the ground level. It consisted of both traditional European and American breakfast items. Coffee was good too, ... nice and strong.

One of the best features of this hotel is the location- Ludovisi street at Via Veneto. Many restaurants nearby which were great, ... not far away are cheaper restaurants in the neighborhood area. An open tour bus has a route that runs not too far from the hotel (easy on and off) and it is easily walking distance to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and the Pantheon. If you are venturing out further, and prefer to avoid the subway, ... a cab ride to the Vatican or the Colosseum cost around 6-8 Euro (from the hotel).

There are cheaper places to stay in Rome, ... but you get what you pay for, so just becareful. Overall, I would stay here again and would recommend it to my friends. Good luck and enjoy your trip to Rome!

What a perfect place to stay!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Spirish11

I stayed at this hotel for a short weekend break, and to be honest, I could not have asked for more from a hotel. It is in a spectacular part of the city, with easy access to everything that you would want. Amazing shopping is no more than about ten minutes walk, with the spanish steps on the way to that! The Trevi fountain is not much further and the temple of the unknown soldier is at the top of the shopping street! From literally outside the Savoy, you can pick up the daily tours that take you to all the important places e.g. Sistine Chapel, Colloseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, St.Peters Basillica etc. At the end of the day, it then drops you right outside the door. Its perfect. The hotel itself has a staff force that work around the clock to making your stay as comfortable as possible. The concierge were extremely friendly and helpful, particularily with suggestions on restaurants etc, which is needed as there is an array to choose from! I can honestly say that I had a really wonderful time and when I return to rome, I know that I will stay at the savoy. They made the trip complete!!!

Wonderful stay at the Savoy

by TripAdvisor Member rlsfan

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Savoy. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfest was good. (More variety would have been nice.) Room was very clean and quiet. Looked out over the street. Good location in very nice neighborhood. Would definately return and recommend to others.

nice central location

by TripAdvisor Member dooleymom

Hotel Savoy has nice central location, can easily walk to Spanish steps. nice bathrooms, no fitness center, courteous helpful staff, food so so, but there is nothing wow about it, Its clean and has a bed, bathrooms are small... perhaps I would stay here if I could not find something else, but definately not at the top of my list. My last stay was march 31, april 1, 2006

Luxury by the Spanish Steps

by TripAdvisor Member yanager

5/18-5/21/06
We recently returned from a trip to Europe and stayed at the Hotel Savoy. Since I made last minute reservations I had few choices and reserved a hotel more expensive than I would normally choose. The hotel is very nice, in the nicest area of the city, next to many very expensive hotels. The triple room (suite) was very large with a king and a single bed; chairs; table; and beautiful inlaid wood dressor & night tables. The bathroom was hugh with large tub, double marble sink with good lighting and makeup mirror, toilet and bidet. Windows overlooking the street had light blocking shutters and double panes so no street noise could enter or no light either, if you wanted. We observed at least two different airline crews arriving here, one of which was a Delta crew. Complimentary breakfast in the basement was ample. Don't ask for restaurant recommendations from the concierge. They sent us to a touristy restaurant with pushy waiters and a 5.50 euro per person bread fee. We found others in the area typically charged 1 to 1 1/2 euro bread fee. They did recommend upon check-in the open bus tour company, Ciao Roma. For 18 euro (the hotel keeps 6 euro commission) per person this bus took us to all the major sights. We definitely appreciated that the bus stopped directly in front of this hotel for people to go to the Villa Borghese (it didn't seem to stop at any other hotels). Upon entering the bus we were given lovely tour books on Rome in English detailing the sights which made our tour books from home superfluous. Taking the tour gave us an overview of the city and a reference point to do walking tours on succeeding days. The hotel ordered a driver to the airport which cost 50 euros (for up to 4 people). This seemed like a good deal after the 5 block ride by taxis from the train station was 20 euro plus tip. Nice hotel, in a safe and beautiful neighborhood. We found the Spanish Steps to be just around a couple of corners.

a mixed bag

by TripAdvisor Member punahoupalms

We in were Rome for 3 days w/ our 3 teenagers. This hotel is in a very convenient location for visiting the major sites of Rome (we walked everywhere) & is just off the Via Veneto. Lots of little cafes & a Hard Rock just around the corner when the kids start craving a hamburger. The rooms were good sized & clean w/ modern bathrooms, and a complimentary breakfast.

The negatives...nobody ever mentions the beds but these were about the worst I have ever slept in. About the equivalent of a concrete slab w/ a sandbag for a pillow and coarse linens. Hardly slept at all. Also, upon our return one afternoon one of our son's videogames was missing and it was obvious at least some of our bags had been gone thru. If you are the type who can sleep anywhere and you lock your bags then this is a good choice.

Upscale area but overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member dmc101us

Stayed here for six nights. The area is very nice and without the typical disguisting graffiti found everywhere in Rome. I would not pay the amount of money that this hotel wants for a room. I would get an apartment, unless money is not an issue. The area is very, very nice, though. We walked and walked and walked everywhere. If you can't walk far, then you wouldn't want to stay here unless you take taxis or a bus, I guess.
The breakfast was very good and they were very friendly at breakfast. The coffee was okay for Italy, too. But a hotel that charges this much, should at least give you a real glass in your room and not a plastic cup. The bath towel started ripping in two when I was drying myself off.
Due to the Bernoulli effect, while the shower was running, the shower curtain kept touching me when I showered and I didn't like it at all. It really grossed me out.
The room is very dingy but quiet, which is a plus when in Rome because everything is loud! We asked for a quiet room so they put us in the "courtyard," and I was expecting some type of beautiful floral garden, but no such thing. The courtyard had that ugly green carpeting for landscaping. There was no light that came in the room making it depressing, in my opinion.
Also, the bell buy was a grouch and some of the staff at the front desk were unfriendly. Italians, in Italy, in general, don't smile.
The area is very expensive, and don't go down to the wine bar by the newsstand, whatever you do. That guy is a crook and tried to get us to pay 8,50 euros for two sips of wine. Literally, the smallest glass I'd ever seen. I told him it was an insult and left. Do not get suckered in by the Italians. I have two words for the traveler to Italy: "caveat emptor." Have fun!

A would be 4 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wij

The hotel seems very nice and the rooms are quite huge for Rome terms. But there is almost no direct sunlight. You can never be in the room without extra light. Only in front of the wardrobe, no light...very difficult to choose clothes !
The lobby is not very welcome and cold, no fine coaches nor bar where you would like to have your late whisky.
The hotel is very noicy especially when you sleep next to an elevator. You can here your neighbourg as if they were in your room as well as the roommaids wandering in the coridors.
Having breakfast in the hotel is frustrating. Being in the catacombs of the hotel when you are in Rome with nice views, temperature and sunshine. Every hotel seems to have a terasse with restaurant, but the Savoy hotel doesn't.
The breakfast place now is the same for night parties. You sit next to the DJ stuff ! Personel is kind but not specially helpfull.
Don't accept their airport shuttle. This is 10 € above the fix taxi price ! This isn't what I would call service.

So this seems to be a very nice hotel on pictures, but it irritated me a lot. The hotel misses real class.

Hotel

by 1Karan

Hi Again:

I havent confirmed Savoy Hotel as yet, so if there any better options, do let me know. The hotel has quoted 156 Euro a night for a double. Any better option at the same or lesser price. Looking for a centrally located comfortable property.

Thanks so much

Re: Hotel

by Lacristina

Ciao!

You can find reviews of the Hotel Savoy here:

Also, you can check for hotel reviews from VTers here:

To check out other options on your dates, you can try www.venere.com which is an online booking service with reviews by people who have actually stayed at the hotel. (Venere only allows reviews from people who have booked through their website.)

Venere allows you to search by area, price and review rating.

Hope this helps!

Cristina

Re: Hotel

by robotman

1Karan,

We are booked at the Golden Tulip Mecenate Palace hotel near the Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore which I believe is only about one mile from the Savoy. It is likewise a four start hotel and currently has a price of 110 Euro.
Although we have not previously stayed there, it has received very good reviews. It is also convenient to the trains.

Take a look.

Ken

Re: Re: Hotel

by 1Karan

Thanks for the input. From what I've heard and read, the neighborhood of the hotel you mention: Golden tulip Mercante Palace does not appear to be very safe even though the hotel seems to be quite nice ....

Comments