Via Venti Settembre 95, Rome, 00185, Italy

Temple of Apollo SosianusTemple of Apollo Sosianus

Packing upPacking up

Official Forum tour

by clmbsb

Does the Forum offer an official tour? I have found the offical coloseum tour but can't find anything for the Forum.

We want a guided tour of the Forum as it has so much history a book cannot do it justice. Has anyone taken a tour recently, where they any good? We want a guide who knows their stuff and has a passion for the history of Rome.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance and a Happy New Year

Clare

by unaS

A book can't do it justice?????

by clmbsb

I mean that reading about something is one thing but having someone explain it in great detail and point things out right in front of you is better. They can show you exactly what something is. Sometimes a book is not very clear.

A guidebook can be useful, i would just prefer a personal guide for the Forum.

by von.otter

There are many reputable private tour guides that can unearth the many layers of history to found in Foro Romano. Perhaps your hotel can direct you or the American Academy in Rome.

A web site that I really trust for all things Roman is http://www.romeartlover.it/

by leics

You can get audioguides for the Forum.

And there are umpteen private tours/private tour guides available. The latter might be your best bet if you want someone who has a passion for ancient Rome.

But when I last visited I'm sure official tours in English were offered (there was a sign at the entrance) but it seems these are only regularly offered for individuals in Italian. Info here:

by clmbsb

Thank you both for your replies, i will check them out.

by travelgourmet

Yes, someone to help tell you about an ancient location and be able to point out the small details can really bring the past to life. Of course, knowing ahead of time exactly what to expect can be of great help in many cases. Sometimes, not knowing about a location is more exciting to discover. As for the Roman Forum, it is so vast and the explanation extensive that you might want help before you walk the Forum in person. There is a couple of websites that I have used that I believe does it justice. It prepared me for the many splendors that was Ancient Rome. For a view of the Roman Forum and description, see website: http://www.vroma.org/~forum
Also there are free downloads to either an ipod or your computer MP3 player at website: http://www.italyguides.it/us/roma/download_audioguide/free_ipod_mp3/ipodguides.htm

by leics

There's also the official forum history website in English here:

Lots of information about the history, archaeology, daily life etc.

Not especially well-presented (it's quite an old site, I think) but it does have some fascinating bits.

by Ceekonee

We toured the Forum and the Coloseum with Through Eternity tours. Thomas, our guide was very knowledgible in the history and pointing things out.. he is very passionat and a history buff. We probably learned more than we knew was possible with out getting bored. All our tours with them were small groups about 6-8 people. He also took us to a great place for lunch and alot of great info on other places to eat.

Gabriel guided us thru the Vatican and has studied Art..and was great at explaining the different styles that even we art dummies could understand and enjoy

Travel Tips for Rome

The Colosseum

by Dionosaur

Obviously, the Colosseum is the absolute one thing you must see. (Be sure to get your picture taken with the gladiators.) However, that is only the first on a very long list of wonderful things to see in Rome.

The Vatican is a the ultimate for art lovers, with 360 degree art, be prepared to have a sore neck the next day. Go early to beat the crowds. Walking around a corner and seeing the Colosseum for the first time. That was when I really felt the history and magic of Rome.

Pack Lightly

by von.otter

What to pack?

I do not pack lightly. Therefore I may not be the best traveler to ask because it appears as if I bring everything I own!

This is only speculation. I think because I travel with too much, it may have been why my bag did not arrive in Rome at the same time I did. Because my bag was heavy, it was left behind until a plane with a lighter cargo load departed for Italy.

There was a long line at the Alitalia lost baggage complaint desk. The process for filing a complaint was simple. It was 36 hours later when I was reunited with my clothes and other belongs.

With that in mind, it is a good idea to pack extra personal items in your carry-on bag. Some travelers take only a carry-on bag. If this works for you, it may be best. I could not feel comfortable with such a limited selection of clothes.

I would always recommend packing comfortable shoes. Wherever you travel, overseas or domestically, the best way to see any city is on foot. In Rome, especially Centro Storico (the historical center of an Italian city), the street pavement is made up of granite brick (always mistaken for cobble stone). The streets and sidewalks are uneven and can be rough on the feet, ankles and legs.

Fashion and more

by suubi

I never came across large shopping centers in Rome but I came across all commodities the heart can desire: from Gucci over Armani to equally cute shoes and clothes of less popular designers. The city is dominated by small specialized shops and boutiques. As you leave Piazza de spagna, you will be greeted by a line of elegant and exclusive shops: Dolce & Gabbana ; Piazza de spagna is surrounded by all types of elegant and exclusive shops situated in V.d. Condotti and V. Borgognona. Here you can purchase men suits women / men shoes, fashionable bags and jewellery, name it. exclusiv

Roma-Pantano light railway

by thirstytraveller

Roma-Pantano light railway line doesn't have much to offer for a railway enthusiast, neither is it running in a very beautiful neighbourhood. I found a nice pizzeria near Alessi stop, though. Being a narrow gauge line, it doesn't provide much speed, which is similar to trams. Stops are frequent and so are departures. You can catch a train at Porta Maggiore or Laziali terminus near stazione Termini.

Brazil in Rome!

by AlexDJ about Brasil Cafe'

This is one of the first brazilian restaurants in Rome; here you can find all the specialities from south America, the classic churrasco, the special fasola and other delis; besides, it offers excellent entertainment shows, with original brazilian dancers, musicians and artists. You can eat here at fixed price of 25 euro and you'll be served with 10 different kinds of meat and all you can eat from the cold and hot buffet. And after dinner, the music starts... Of course I like churrasco, but also abacaxi (hot pineapple) is really special!

Comments