Sheraton Golf Parco De' Medici Hotel & Resort

Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Great but expensive

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 11, 2007

Let's start with the bad things, shall we?
I have never doubted that I during my life at least once would go into the hotel bathroom, and find it filled with cockroaches. But I doubted very much that that moment would come in a 4* Sheraton hotel...
Still that was what met me when I got up late one of the nights to get some water. Was not a very nice feeling to stay there barefoot and suddently see something small and black run around my feet...

Over to the good parts instead then.
The reception staff acted with a great action, transfered me to another room immediately despite the fact that it was 2.30am, and also offered me to bring me my luggage immediately.

Except for this incident above, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel very much. It's a very luxury hotel, with huge rooms, designed in a very relaxing way, very nice bathrooms and great staff that always was very friendly and helpful in any way.

It's located about 20 minutes outside the city center, but from the hotel goes every day, seven times/day, a shuttle bus to the Piazza Venezia, free for the hotel's guests. Just make sure to get a seat on it, as the driver won't allow more people onboard then there are seats. And if the buss if full, you'll have to wait for the next one 1,5 hour later...

That's how we discovered that taxi in Rome actually can be both very nice, and quite cheap. About 20 euro one way to the hotel, so if you're more than two persons I would advice you on that transport.

Bad things about the hotel is the prices. I don't really know the price for a room, as we booked ourselves in on a golf packet, but everything from the restaurant (24 euro for a plate of pasta??) to the minibar (4,50 euro for a bottle of water??) is terribly over priced.

Unique Quality: The golf course is great, 27 holes in total, with 18 of them used for a European tour competition for ladies every year (BWM Open). Enough said, the course has quality!

The staff are great, always friendly, always with a nice "buongiorno" for their guests, and if there were any problems or questions they will help you out in seconds.

Breakfast was included for us, and for me who is used to none, or terrible, breakfasts in Italian hotels this was a miracle. :)

The hotel has one huge restaurant and one smaller bar. There are also two swimming pools, non-heated, so not open until May, and two tennis courts.
The shuttle bus to the city center is very handy, when there is a seat for everyone.

Directions: Close to the highway. 20-45 minutes (depending on the traffic) from the city center. Less than 20 minutes from the Fiumcini airport.

baronedivandastad's Profile Photo

Not worth the fare

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 28, 2006

I was pretty disappointed about this hotel. True, the location is prime, in the middle of one of Rome's largest parks (Parco dei Medici) and right next to a 27-hole golf course. So if you're into tees and putts, it's the place to go.

But why do I have to pay 168 euros for a double room and be faced with rude staff who does not even know the basics guest welcoming techniques? When I arrived at 9 pm one evening right before Christmas my luggage had been lost by our beloved Alitalia, and I went to the reception and asked whether they had a toothbrush and toothpaste for me to use. They answered that the only way is to purchase (sic) a toilet kit for men for the mere sum of 7.50 EUR!

Also, the hotel is not served by any public transportation, and taxis come from far away, meaning that the meter will indicate some 10 euros when you get in. Quite an expensive way to be in Rome, I say.

I'm a happy customer of Starwood hotels, but this one has been a disappointment.

The only praise I have is for the bar staff: even though we arrived at the end of the official breakfast hours (but why does a five star hotel not extend their breakfast hour beyond 10?!?) we were served cappuccino and cookies without any charge by a charming and polite waiter.

Directions: When coming from Fiumicino airport, drive past the GRA (ring road) junction, and take the next exit (marked Parco dei Medici). From there it's a 3 km drive (take the first exit at the roundabout).

chinookch47's Profile Photo

Sheraton Golf is a nice hotel...

by written on August 24, 2002

Sheraton Golf is a nice hotel on the way from the airport to downtown, it has its own bus taking and getting hosts. Accommodation is very nice, large room and very comfortable, besides there's a golf court surrounding it, so it is very quiet.
it;s about US$ 120,00 for a double room.

Unique Quality: For those who like golf, it's the right place to stay, bet even if you don't like, the area is wonderful.

Nearby Sheraton Golf Parco De' Medici Hotel & Resort

• Free Parking
  • Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews