Via dei Chiodaroli 9, Rome, Lazio, 00186, Italy

Booking.com Venere.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Rome Central

On arrival in Rome with no luggage, AND on a national holiday, so all stores were closed, the staff at the Hotel Smeraldo went out of their way to help us with the lost luggage, and find toiletries to tide us over. Our family of 5 had two rooms nearby each other, one triple and one double. The double was on the street side, and a bit noisy with the delivery trucks in the morning, but the room on the interior side was quiet all day and night.
    The rooms were small, but closets ample to put suitcases inside, so that left more room. Beds were solid and pillows firm, so if you're looking for cushy pillows, bring your own. The air condidioniing was a requirement in August, and each room had it's own controls, and it worked quickly and well. We walked to the Vatican, about a mile. Just a couple of blocks to everywhere else in Rome. Had dinner almost every night at Piazza Navonna, with street acts and vendors, but enjoyed the salad restaurant right near the hotel. We also enjoyed using the bus, tickets from any Tabac, and illuminated signs telling you when the next bus is coming. Tip: Get to the Sistine Chapel early, bring water, and expect a 1-2 hour wait to get inside - worth the wait and the time.

Unique Quality: Great air conditioning, great price for such a central location, helpful, English speaking staff, ice cold drink vending machines in the bar - for water to go.

Directions: Near Campo dei Fiori & Piazza Navonna

More about Smeraldo Hotel

The Smeraldo was in a fantastic Location!

The Smeralod was in a fantastic location. The rooms were small, yet comfortable. The bathrooms were very nice and clean! Overall, the Smeraldo is a wonderful hotel with a fabulous price!

Pleasantly surprised with Smeraldo

We were pleasantly surprised with Hotel Smeraldo. My husband and I visited in the second week of August. It is in a great location because you can walk all over the city, definitely bring a confortable pair of walking shoes! The hotel was clean and up to date with lots of marble! The shower was the tiniest I have ever been it but we survived. We didn't have any problem with noise, but we went in the off season when many shops and restaurants are closed. The hotel staff wasn't very helpful, when we asked for a restaurant near the Spanish Steps the man at the desk said that he didn't know of any, but he gave us 2 other recommendations (which we didn't try). They did get cabs for us when we needed them which was helpful. The breakfast was minimal, but enough to start the day. I would consider staying her again, but I would shop around first.

small restaurants II

by tompt about Smeraldo

A restaurant - pizzeria in an area filled with hotels. The people eating here are again almost all tourists. This pizzeria cooks on a wood furnace. The service is fast and speaks good english.

Be aware, a large beer is a 1 liter glass !!

We had a great appetizer: stuffed olives.

The restaurant is closed on monday.

AMALFI PORT

Capri 60 min di navigazione
Ischia 90 min di navigazione

Grotta dello Smeraldo 60’ di navigazione leave and come back

great hotel!

We stayed at the Smeraldo for 3 nights earlier this month and loved it! As everyone has already said, the location is fantastic. It's right in the middle of everything and a 5 minute walk (or less) to the Campo di Fiori and within walking distance to all of the major sights. It was clean, seemed recently updated and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I'd definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

Nice 3 Star

by TripAdvisor Member fcfrag

Stayed 5/6-5/13 '04. First put in a very, very small interior room (approximately 9'x9', avoid the '06 rooms - 106, 206, 306). We were on a GoToday package so they had us - we couldn't just move elsewhere. Was afraid when I asked for a larger room that I would simply be told that none were available. To my mild surprise we were moved to a more than adequate exterior room with much more space. The location in Roma Antica is quite noisy around the clock, but its the only place to stay, and the excellent soundproof windows filter most of it out. The staff (including Fabio) was pleasant, but I did not depend on them much except for very cheap beers from the bar (its closed but ask the desk clerk and he'll serve you adding the charge to your room bill). Avoid the coffee at breakfast - its the worst in Roma. Otherwise, the Smeraldo is a solid 3 star European Hotel.

Great find

by TripAdvisor Member bitbytravelbug

Wonderful location off of Campo di Fiore amid the warrens and alleyways that are typical of Rome. If you're a walker, you can see almost everything Rome has to offer; also easy access to Termini station via the 40 express bus. I found the desk staff to be very friendly and helpful, particularly Walter. Be careful of the tiny European shower- keep the water to just above a trickle to avoid overflowing. Nice breakfast with strong espresso and hot milk in the machine.

Great Location!!

by TripAdvisor Member Darmark

This was a great hotel for the price. Very clean,great location with excellent restaurants near by and you could walk lots of places and it was quite. It is on a small alley way and we used the recommendation by another reviewer of getting the hotel to set up a pick up from the airport for us. It was a great idea after a long flight to see someone waiting for us to take us to the hotel. It cost us 55 Euros and well worth it. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and would stay there again.

Fantastic location , clean and friendly

What a fantastic location, next to Campo di Fiori and across the road from Piazza Navarno
Very clean hotel, very helpful and friendly staff, we thought the breakfast was great, the bed sheets and towels where changed every day. Lots of resturants, pubs and tavernas on your doorstep. Every sight seeing location easily reached on foot from this hotel. When we return to Rome we will stay here again, well worth the money, my boyfriend and I stayed over Easter weekend 2004 it was a fantastic base. If we where to tired from the days sightseeing there is an exclusive resturant opposite with amazing food, well worth a try.

Hotel Parlamento or Hotel Smeraldo

by LubaLorine

Hello lovely VTers! I have narrowed down hotel choices for my Rome trip, based on price, availability, location and reviews here on VT and on TripAdvisor, to these two finalists.

I am responsible for planning for a group of 10, so it is important that I choose the right one. The problem is,it seems like either one will be great based on my information. I would welcome any comments from those who feel strongly for or against one or the other, as I am at an impasse and simply cannot decide. I'm just about ready to flip a coin, but I thought I'd check with my friends here first.

The rates are basically the same (though Parlamento includes breakfast), Parlamento has a bit more central location (right in the center of it all), and Smeraldo (near Campo de Fiori) has more modern amenities and a greater quantity of recent reviews on TA. Both accept CC for payment and both are multi-lingual to assist my American and European guests.

Any thoughts or preferences or experiences that you'd like to share about either Hotel Parlamento or Hotel Smeraldo would be most welcome - I am pulling my hair out trying to decide!

Mille grazie, i miei amiche! Thank you my VT friends and Happy New Year!

Lorine

RE: Hotel Parlamento or Hotel Smeraldo

by LubaLorine

Never mind all! Turns out the Hotel Parlamento had the wrong dates and they are full for the dates I will be there.

So Hotel Smeraldo it is!

Vive bella Roma!

RE: RE: Hotel Parlamento or Hotel Smeraldo

by kutomba69

Hi Lorine!!!!!!!!!!

I saw you chose the right one...... well, if you need something else, I'd be glad to help you.
I'm Alex, from Rome, so, don't wait for asking me everything you'd like to know!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for

Alex

P.S. give a big kiss to L.A. from me..... (I loved it)

Comments