Sofitel Roma

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• OnTheRoadGoombah's Profile Photo

Luxury Accomodations

I have stayed here on business -- again could never afford it on my own. Although the rooms are a bit small, the are well equipped and the hotel breakfast is far and above anything else I have enjoyed in the city.

I normally prefer to stay near the Fontana di Trevi or Piazza Navona, but for pure luxury, you can't beat the Sofitel.

Unique Quality: The resaturant and bar are extremely good places to just hang out and people watch.

Directions: located in the trainagle between the US Embassy, the Spanish Steps, and Piazza Barberini

More about Sofitel Roma

as good as the reviews.....

by TripAdvisor Member transport_director

Off to celebrate partner's 50th birthday, and where better than Rome? Just four days, and had to be special, so lots of research. Settled on the Sofitel and kept fingers crossed.

I needn't have worried. It really was as good as the best reviews on these pages. One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in (and I don't usually have to pick up the bill!). Loads of charm and classical 'Roma' decor. Remarkable 'small hotel' friendliness in what is actually a reasonably sized business. Rooms scrupulously cleaned, and clearly attended to more than once in a day.

I have no hesitation in recommending it, and will definitely stay at the Sofitel Roma again.

Although there are many good restaurants in the area, we particularly liked 'Marcello di Vladimiro' on Via Aurora, just around the corner from the hotel.

Rome Sofitel - Comfort and Convenience

by TripAdvisor Member MIAChels

I stayed in the Sofitel Roma in late November, 2005 for 2 days with my 2 daughters. What a wonderful property!

We arrived by train into Rome around noon, and it was about a 10 minute drive from Roma Centrale to the Sofitel. Our room was ready, and what a lovely room. I had reserved a room that was designated to accommodate 3 people. Rather than bringing in a roll-away bed, the hotel converts a chaise lounge sofa into the 3rd bed. My 9-year old was very comfortable on the bed. The other bed was 2 large twins pushed together European fashion to form a king. The beds were spacious and comfortable. Sometime around midnight on our first night, my 9 year-old decided that she was "afraid of pickpockets" (we witnessed a young boy rob a woman at the train station), and she joined my other daughter and I in the bed. We still felt as if we had plenty of space on the bed.

The room itself was beautifully appointed. High ceilings, heavy, decorative drapes, and lovely furniture in good condition appointed the room. The view from our room could not be termed a "view" as we overlooked a courtyard and the side of another building; however, the pretty room served as our view. The mini-bar was well stocked.

An additional note for those who are sensitive to cold - the individual thermostat in the room worked well, and the room temperature was perfect.

The marble bathroom was a nice size, and had nice amenities such as nail files, etc. The shower water never got extremely hot, but was warm enough to be comfortable. As another poster stated, the half door on the shower was an inconvenience; neither I nor the children managed to shower without wetting the floor.

Our package included breakfast. There was nothing special about the breakfast; however, it served its purpose, and we did not explore Rome hungry. If it is included, by all means, take advantage of it because you will find something on the buffet to satisfy you.

The location of the hotel was excellent; it was a stone's throw from the Via Veneto and the Spanish Steps. The street that the hotel is on is somewhat narrow; accordingly, when we were returned to the hotel by tour buses, we were always dropped down the street from the hotel. This was not a problem, just a minor inconvenience. Also, the street to the Spanish Steps was also somewhat narrow and had a lot of traffic - hold tight to your childrens' hands! (Funny how one only notices these type of things when one is responsible for someone else's life!)

I loved this hotel, and I would not hesitate to stay here again. However, on the next trip, I think I'll leave the kids at home, and travel with my husband in order to fully appreciate the splendors of this hotel.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member taxcpa

Warm and cozy - didn't seem like a big chain hotel. The rooms were comfortable, clean, nicely decorated with rich fabrics and wood, and a good size, especially by European standards. They had black-out curtains, which kept the rooms real dark. Beds were comfortable. Bathrooms were nice, with good amenities. Towels were extremely plush, the bathrobes were a nice touch. Only complaint is that the shower had half a door (it's decorative, I guess) but the entire bathroom gets wet when you shower. The staff were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. The free breakfasts were just ok, both the selection and quality wasn't great, but it served its purpose. The location was great, in a quiet area, walking distance to everything, with really good restaurants only a few blocks away. The only difficulty was going back to the hotel, the last few blocks were up a steep hill, which was tiring (but not unbearable.) Check out the gorgeous rooftop view. Get the free map they provide at the hotel, its has great directions to all the sights. Highly recommend this hotel. We got a great price by booking on the Sofitel website directly. Hint: they don't tell you, but if you're coming from the port, call ahead and they'll provide a limo for $150, which is cheaper than the taxi. For the big sights, we recommend getting a local tour guide on the spot rather than the audioguides, they add so much more to the experience and help you appreciate what you're looking at (especially at the Vatican Museum.) Don't miss the Borghese Gallery (behind the hotel.) Reservations required. Definately get the tourguide rather than the audioguide.

Perfect blend of location, warmth and service

by TripAdvisor Member JackSD

This hotel is a rarity: A very well-managed, very attractive, ideally located hotel that is very functional for business travelers but also has a level of polish and warmth that you'd expect from a romantic or resort experience. It's the finest Sofitel I've ever stayed in, and one of the three or four most comfortable and supportive environments I've encountered in any European hotel. Unlike so many hotels whose web sites are "bait and switch" (advertising luxury but delivering only arrogance and conditions that don't match the photos), this hotel delivers honestly and happily. The location overlooks the Villa Borghese and is only three blocks from the Via Veneto and a ten-minute walk from the Spanish steps. Broadband connections are available in every room. The front desk speaks excellent English and greets you by name by the second night. Bathrooms sparkle, and beds are quite comfortable. Small aesthetic touches abound. I'd go so far as to say that all this adds up to a superior experience to a Four Seasons or a Ritz, because unlike those hotels, which often overflow with insincere congeniality and stereotyped luxury, this hotel is exactly what it appears to be -- there's no disparity between how it presents and what it delivers. It doesn't represent a marketing strategy, it represents a hotel stay reliably based on efficiency, comfort, and not a little panache.

Quiet charming hotel

Have just returned from spending Christmas in Rome. Our stay at the Sofitel was just perfect, clean plush rooms, friendly helpful staff who also spoke very good english - a big help as our italian was pretty poor! The location is great for the spanish steps, 5 mins from the Barberini metro and via veneto. Breakfast was good, Christmas Eve dinner good and there was far too much food which we walked off on the way to Piazza Popolo to attend Midnight Mass. All in all could not fault this hotel for value for money, cleanliness, location and helpful staff. Would certainly stay in the Sofitel again on our next trip to Rome.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member PDPatara

Stayed for two nights in November, enjoyed it thoroughly! Staff really helpful, lovely room and what a great central (but quiet) location....well worth the money if you can get a good deal.
Breakfast was good with loads of good restaurants within minutes.
Really good hotel would stay there again. Also stayed in the Holiday Inn, Parc de Medici....very basic, miles out of town, awful food !

I stayed here for 3 nights as was very impressed by the hotel and our room. The room we had was on the 5th floor and was very clean, beautifully decorated and very comfortable.

We never ate at the restaurant other than for breakfast which was included in our rate (continental only). The bar was nice and cosy and the staff very helpful. It’s centrally located near Via Vento and Villa Borghese with the Spanish steps and Trevi Fountain a short walk away. I would recommend the hotel to anybody and would definitely stay again.

Good hotel in Rome

We stayed here for 5 days in late December and enjoyed the hotel. It's a Sofitel hotel, so it's got more of the nicer-chain sterile feel to it, but the conveniences (laundry, US-voltage outlet) were pretty handy. The location is great - it's a 5 minute walk to some of the main tourist sections and close to the Villa Borgese. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the restaurant and had a great meal. If we were returning to Rome, we might look around for another more charming hotel, but we definitely recommend the Sofitel.

nice, comfortable hotel, good central location

by TripAdvisor Member It_happened

Had 3 nights in the Sofitel in early Feb, the hotel is 4 star and lives up to that rating- comfortable rooms, friendly staff, strong showers, good buffet breakfast. One thing that has never happened to us before though was that we were offered an upgrade on arrival but only if we wanted to pay 40 euro extra per night (i.e we've had free upgrades in the past elsewhere) we declined and the standard room was fine- big comfortable bed, nice bathroom ,plenty of towels, turndown service and chocolates on the pillows at night. You can walk to a lot of the attractions and shops easily (be aware that you're near the Spanish Steps so it's hilly)for 4 euro per day you can get a Metro travel card which is really handy too. We got a better deal on Expedia than was offered on the hotel's website.

Transport: Rome Hotel to Cruise Port and then back to Rome Airport - best way?

by DKOHEK

I will be staying at the Sofitel Rome and need to get to Civitavecchia for my cruise. I planned to take the train from Temini to Civitavecchia, then I assumed a taxi from there to the ship? Is this the best way?
Then at the end of the cruise I need to get from Civitavecchia to the Airport (Fiumicino) - what would eb the easiest way to do this? I thought I would book a car/van transfer (don't want to do the train on the way back) - can anyone recommend a REPUTABLE and RELIABLE website/company on which to book? The price quoted through the cruise company was enormous!!! Thanks!

Re: Transport: Rome Hotel to Cruise Port and then back to Rome Airport - best way?

by Agraichen

If your cruise does not provide transportation then your choice is quite good. I've done it and as long as you leave time for the trips, it is quite pleasant. There are plenty of taxis usually (remember they do go on strike frequently and without warning) to get you to the port.

On the back side, the train would also be a good option, but there is a VTer named Bill (McAlpin ???) that will most likely have the latest info. Not certain what price you were quoted but most taxi's will offer a fixed rate if you don't wish to use the train. It is a bit of a trip.

by Ronnie1a

Your plan to take the train is good. But, pay attention to luggage. There is no one to help you at either train station. Rome has carts but they are hard to find. (Best place to look is in front by the taxi stand.) No carts at the other end. There will be cabs but they are a rip off. 20 Euro to the seaport, which you can see from the front steps of the station. But, no choice on that.

by DKOHEK

Thanks for your advice. Is it possible to walk from the station in Civitavechia to the ship, or is it too far?

Comments