Viale Castro Pretorio, 25, Rome, Lazio, 00185, Italy
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Rome

San Silvestro al QuirinaleSan Silvestro al Quirinale

Trevi at nightTrevi at night

Magnificent!Magnificent!

Internal RoomInternal Room

Pre-paid GSM SIM card for cellphone use in Italy

by aukahkay

I will be travelling throughout Italy from 20 September to 3 October. I am bringing my quad band GSM cellphone along with me. May I know where are the best places to purchase a pre-paid SIM card for use throughout Italy? What is the telco offering the best rate? Is it true that I need some form of photo ID to get the SIM card registered? Are there English instructions in the SIM card package to follow on how to top up the SIM card?

Re: Pre-paid GSM SIM card for cellphone use in Italy

by kathymof

I used a SIM chip from TIM. Supposedly there are restrictions on buying one in Italy - I am sure this is easy to get around after going into a couple tabac shops. I bought mine online in US before I left. The written instructions (in English) did not match what was happening on the phone (in Italian) so the desk clerk at my hotel helped me and earned a nice tip. It was very easy to recharge at numerous locations throughout the country.

Travel Tips for Rome

The Piazza Navona

by Paul2001

The Piazza Navona is the most popular of Rome's numerous public squares. The piazza is packed with tourists drawn by the many shops, restaurants and cafes that line the square. There are also an array of street buskers that you can watch here that perform throughout the day. I do not know about the legal status of these fellows as I witnessed one getting arrested. The police were kind of enough to let the young man finish his feats of magic and collect his rewards before the stepping in.
The square is shaped much like a Roman amphitheatre. This is because it evolved from a such an ancient stadium that stood here in the 1st century A.D. Little of the amphitheatre remains here today as what was left of it was destroyed in the 17th century when Pope Innocent X commissioned the building of the palaces and churches that now surround the square. The most famous church is Sant'Agnese in Agone which was designed by Borromini. Another notable feature of the piazza is the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi which is considered to be one of Bernini's greatest creations.

Packing List

by sarabee

If you are a crazy shopper like me, pack an empty bag! You will need it to get all of your lovely new things home. If you are really smart, you'll bring TWO empty bags...the shopping is just that good. Comfortable shoes! L.L. Bean has a great selection of stylish walking shoes in their travel catalogue. I didn't want to wear sneakers (too casual), and was able to find a pair of black shoes that were comfy, yet dressy enough for dinner. Bring lots of plastic bags, you'll use them for everything from dirty clothes to shampoo bottles to padding for fragile purchases. Bring extra film and batteries for your camera. You might not be able to find the right battery, and they are cheaper at home. If you really want to remember everything, bring a journal! I wrote every night and I'm so glad I did. I can go back and read my entries, and I get to experience the trip all over again. You won't regret it!

Diapers and Baby Food

by nicolettart about Any Pharmacy

I learned that you cannot find diapers and baby food in a supermarket in Rome. If you need baby items, look for a pharmacy. You can identify it by the green neon cross(+) above the door. If you can pronounce it, ask for omogeneizzati ( I am fluent and had trouble with this one at first). You will be shown jars of commonly found baby food, such as applesauce, and the more interesting concoctions, including zucchine, prosciutto, lamb, and even coniglio (rabbit). I was so thrilled I brought home jars of the food you can't get back home. Same as back home. Diapers were a little more expensive.

Santo Padre, Just let the hostess decide for you!

by JoelArias about Santo Padre

This restaurant must be the best place I have eaten in Italy. At first moment I enter, I feel as if I have walked into my family home (I am Hispanic, so we are a bit similar to Italians). I sit and order an antipasti with possible the best freshest ingredients in Rome. I had stuffed meat pasta with tomatoes and basil and I start to think the vegetables must be growing in the rear of the restaurant because it was too good. The woman serving our table reminded me of one my family members checking on me to ensure I enjoy the food and am properly taken care of. I visited Santo Padre on numerous occasions during my stay and I just let the waitress recommend the freshest food in the kitchen, which she did not fail to make me happy with her choices. I have been to Italy many times, but Santo Padre really made me experience Italy. The dishes I especially enjoyed were the:
1. Stuffed Meat Pasta with tomatoes and basil
2. Veal
3. Beef Slices in Balsamic and red wine.

Cheaper option in Trastevere

by Paisleypaul about La Scaletta

There are I think 3 of these in a chain , none far from Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. There is a Menu Tursitico, costing Eu10 for lunch (pranzo) or Eu14 for colazione (dinner)

I kind of call it that Tourist Menus can be surprisingly tasty and represent great value normally, but I only consider them for lunch, never for dinner Our order and bill - aren't I thorough !

2 bruschette
zuppa di verdure ; penne alla casa
cotelleto alla milanese ; insalata di pollo
macedionia di frutte ; dolce della casa

1 Litre water and a 330ml Peroni totalled Eu28.50

Best of all - I BELIEVE this ristorante is entirely NO SMOKING !
Thought lighting up was compulsory in Italia ......!

Comments