Via Giulia 62, Rome, Lazio, 00186, Italy

IHG Travelocity Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Maria81's Profile Photo

St. George Hotel

Not the best known of Rome's hotels, we've chosen St. George Roma for the non-chain feel (it's an independent boutique hotel) and location, with 15 minutes' walk to Vatican City.

The hotel has the full complement of 5* facilities, although needs to be kept in mind that some of them are not included in the price - like internet. Breakfast, though, is included.

Unique Quality: - Location: very central (15 minutes to the Vatican, 25 to Pantheon, etc. - all on foot), and yet very quiet

- Excellent spa: with steam rooms, jacuzzi pools and other amenities included in the price of your stay. Treatments are extra but worth it

- Rooftop restaurant & bar: this is where the hotel serves dinner. Views are excellent, and it's a refreshing dining option after a day's walking

• Agonz3's Profile Photo

Roman Elegance

I loved my stay at this hotel, it was affordable and execellently located for walking trips around all of Rome's scenic sites. It is hard to find a room in this hotel that didn't have a great view of the city.

Unique Quality: With the exception of this hotel, I really didn't find too many hotels in Europe that offered really good breakfast meals. I was quite happy to see that that wasn't the case with the Cardinal Hotel.

Directions: A stroll away from the Piazza Navona.

More about St. George Hotel

St. George Roma a real find!

by TripAdvisor Member nemweaver

My husband and I were guests at the St. George Roma for ten days in September of this year and cannot say enough good things about the property. The location is excellent, with most major tourist sites within easy walking distance, and the Via Julia is a quiet street, which is not an easy thing to find in Rome. The hotel is absolutely lovely, and the staff is friendly, eager to please and more than accomodating. We would certainly repeat the experience without reservation.

Via Giulia

by TripAdvisor Member ritchiet

We spent five days in the wonderful St George Roma.

Situated in the quieter Campo de' Fiori area of Rome, on historic Via Giulia, we were perfectly placed to visit all the main attractions. In the evenings a short walk through the surrounding cobbled streets lead to bustling areas with excellent restaurants.

The hotel opened in March 2007, and is modern and chic. Great breakfast and the spa in the wellness centre provided a welcome opportunity to unwind.

Overall a great place to stay and excellent value for money.

Please Don't Stay Here !!!

by TripAdvisor Member fashionjef

First: I stayed several times in Rome (in St. Regis, Exedra Boscolo, Cavalieri Hilton,...) and in other city's like Paris, London,.... Always in 5 star hotels.

St. George Roma is really not the place to stay in Rome. The noise of the big boulevard just around the corner is awfull! We stayed with friends and we all four spend 3 horrible nights there (3 and 4th floor, not even on the first floor!!!) I don't understand that people write such a good comments on this hotel about the neighbourhood because it is a nightmare. The hotel entrance is in a quiet street, but the room windows (deluxe, suite and superior) all give on the boulevard side. The glass of the windows isn't even 5mm thick... You can even hear people removing their thin security chain of their bikes... I live all year in a noisy neighbourhood in Bruges, Belgium so I'm used to the night traffic. I'm really complaining the people who live all year in a silent countryside house and stay a night in the St. George Roma...

THe Staff is friendly, but don't expect more than their job. When I asked to move to another room, they were laughing: "Mr. This is Roma, a big city!" was their answer...

One night, as I couldn't get sleep, I called the room service to bring some food. No answer. I decided to put on my clothes and have a look downstairs.. I saw nobody on the reception desk. I was looking around and I found the waiter and the concierge on duty that night sleeping on the sofa in the reading room !!!! Incredible isn't it. I had to awake them, strange situation...

The hotel is great design, not spectacular as Exedra Boscolo, but nice.

So please, I really hope you think twice before booking in this hotel !

We Loved this Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jstntn

My husband and I recently enjoyed a five night stay at the elegant Hotel St. George, Roma. The hotel is well located in the historic section of Rome, within easy walking distance to the Vatican, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Castel Sant'Angelo, Campo dei Fiori, and a five minute walk to the stop for the "hop-on-hop-off" tourist buses. The hotel lobby and public areas are comfortable, serene, and tastefully decorated in muted natural tones with liberal use of marble and other stone. Our room (#504) was small by US standards, but typical of European hotels. We had a lovely terrace overlooking the nearby rooftops and the Tevere where we enjoyed a glass of wine in the evenings. The room was well designed and intelligently furnished with large closets that allowed for all of our luggage to be stored, making the best use of the available room space. Breakfast is included and served either in the dining room or, if weather permits, in a beautiful courtyard with trickling fountain. Breakfast choices included fluffy scrambled eggs and breakfast meats, sliced cold ham and cheeses, yogurt, cereals, fruit, and assorted pastries, all carefully prepared and beautifully presented. The hotel staff could not have been more welcoming or accomodating, and we had no difficulty at all with communication despite the fact that neither my husband nor I speak Italian. We did not try the hotel restaurant for dinner, opting for charming local restaurants (the Osteria del Pegno was particularly good). The hotel's room service menu was exceptionally expensive but easily avoided (our evening wine on the terrace was purchased from the wine shop across the street). We would definitely stay at this hotel again, and would have no hesitation recommending it to our friends.

Beautiful hotel, but pricey

by TripAdvisor Member warren9

The hotel is beautifully presented, impeccable staff who were extremely friendly and helpful. Deluxe rooms were beautiful, not large, but nicely finished. Spa was small but again beautifully maintained. It's location is ideal for all the major sites and near to some great restaurants.
Obviously being 5 star in the centre of Rome we expected it to be pricey but 30 euros for a club sandwich from room service and 15 euros for a glass of wine at the bar seemed excessive especially as the bar had little or no atmosphere.
Even at the same prices we would have stayed at a larger hotel with a little more atmosphere. But if you're looking for a modern, stylish, quiet and slightly expensive hotel I'd say you would enjoy the St George.

Disastrous!

by TripAdvisor Member firstclasstravel

I've stayed at St. George Hotel in Rome for 5 nights at the end of October and how I've regreted my choice! How far is what the Hotel web site presents from the reality . Above all I've been very disappointed by the unprofessional, unfriendly and arrogant staff, far from what you have to expect from a *****L !!!!! But well this is truly not a five stars hotel, all is so poor and cheap, rooms so narrow, noisy, the wardrobe is incredibly small and the spa is simply not a spa but a cellar with a little pool... my stay has been full of problems... you could find a much, much better place in Rome for the same price. Never again at the St. George.

Nice Stay, but not 5 star

by TripAdvisor Member AmericanExpats

Pros: Overall the hotel was nice, more like a good 4 star
-Good location (10 min to St. Peter’s, 10 min to Pantheon, 25 min to Colosseum)
-Quiet
-Spa facilities
-Free Pay movies in various languages (only w/ suite)
-Breakfast was good

Cons:
-Room was okay, but not 5 star level comfort. We had a jr. suite and although the living room was separate from the bedroom there was no door. We had our baby with us and watching TV at night while she slept was almost impossible. Size of room and bathroom was okay (about standard for Europe), but a non-suite must be really small. The “balcony” was a tiny vestibule with no view - the porter commented it was good if you wanted to stand and smoke.
-Heating was at max and barely warm enough, any colder and it wouldn’t have been tolerable (it was around 10 degrees)
-Slow service at bar and breakfast to get coffee/tea (rest is buffet) and hotel not fully booked. That’s typical for Italy and Europe in general, but expect better for 5 star
-We paid a discounted rate and didn’t see the value of what we got, but Rome is expensive. I searched extensively and the price was competitive to other 5 star hotels, so you won’t pay less but might get something nicer for the same money.

We’ve traveled extensively and while Rome is definitely a must see for any avid traveler, it is very touristy and as usual, difficult to find great value for money in terms of dining out and hotels. See the sites, this isn’t the place to “splurge” for an expensive hotel and dining experiences because all you are getting and paying for is the tourist version.

Great Little Boutique Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cd717

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel St George as the third leg of our honeymoon in Italy. We stayed for three nights. I've been to Rome before and know that you don't spend a lot of time in your room, but I still wanted something nice in a good locations as it was our honeymoon. I've stayed in the Westin Excelsior Rome before and while that hotel is very "grand" and beautiful, for the money, I’d prefer to stay somewhere further from the very touristy section (i.e. Spanish Steps and Via Veneto).

When you're on the street of the St George you definitely don't feel like you are in central Rome. The hotel is on a very quiet (but long) street pretty close to the Vatican and Trastevere. We walked everywhere and I'd say the furthest walk was to the Forum area.

The hotel is very discreetly marked. We actually walked by it once.

You're also only about a 10 min walk to Campo Dei Fiori and Piazza Navona.

The hotel itself was recently renovated and it shows. The hotel is very sleek and modern but still warm. Our room was tiny but no different than NYC standards and was pretty much what I expected. The bathroom was great and the toiletries were excellent (they give you a fantastic lip balm).

The bed was extremely comfortable, probably the best on the trip. And the Continental breakfast was great (I know the standards for American and European breakfasts sometimes differ) but from and American's viewpoint we were pleased especially considering it was included in our rate.

Evocative location and ok while fittings are new

by TripAdvisor Member gettingaround

For someone wanting the "atmosphere" of Renaissance Rome in a newly refurbished but fairly atmospheric setting, this is not a bad choice. It's a bit boutiquey and is probably destined to go downmarket below the niche it currently claims as corners have been cut with the refurbishment (my shower kept turning itself on). Breakfast is mean and not good quality: their prices are a bit ambitious for this. The room and bathroom were clean and had charm but were small: one of the smallest "double" beds I have ever seen. If everything was going well, this would be a good place to stay - a colleague also staying there was deliriously happy with the ambience but not things like the breakfast - but their quite nice staff really could not cope at all with the taxi strike: not their fault in a way of course and they were quite helpful about telling us where bus stops were, but I think a really top notch hotel like my usual in Rome would have found better solutions for guests. The hotel restaurant seemed to be permanently empty but a taxi and then general strike may have been to blame.

Comments