Via Principe Amedeo 3, Rome, Lazio, 00185, Italy

Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• didier06's Profile Photo

a good value

We stayed 5 nights in this hotel, our room was spacious , clean with a nice bathroom and excellent soundproofing.

The staff was always smily and friendly.

I recommend this hotel for its very good value for money

Directions: Located in the termini's station district, not very exciting place but very practical (restaurants, buses, metro) at least a good location.

• marecky's Profile Photo

Luxurious and in the Centre

This was a typical 'long' weekend: 3 nights : Fri - Mon

The hotel is mostly designed at business travellers and that's probably why at the weekend we got a 'Luxury' room in the price of a regular one.

I can easily recommend this hotel to anyone due to its prime location, spacious rooms, friendly staff, etc.

The only slight disappointment was breakfast buffet. The food was fresh and of good quality ( apart from the coffee) but the selection was really limited. E.g. no vegetables ( tomatoes, etc)

Still we have to remember that Italians eat next to nothing for breakfast and this hotel is part of an Italian chain, so no surprise.

Unique Quality: - large rooms
    - interesting lighting in rooms ( e.g. a very small but useful bed reading lamps)
    - small TV in the bathroom

Directions: The area is just a few steps from the main train station TERMINI.

At the corner of the street you can find a really nice Italian souvenir shop with quality gifts from Italy - much different from the ones which could be found at the street stalls.

• ciffone's Profile Photo

Great place to stay in Rome

Our hotel in Rome was STAR HOTEL METROPLE and it was great. Very helpful staff. Beautiful rooms. Big comfy robe in the bathroom. I’d stay there again.

Unique Quality: Slightly off the beaten path. A few blocks from the main train station.

More about Starhotels Metropole

Nice hotel and staff

I disagree with the last review published on this site. ( wrote on july 5th ). We have been at the Starhotel Metropole for 7 days from the end of June. Well ...IN THIS LIFE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! Due to our previous experiences we have always thought that if you get a good deal you cannot expect luxury, upgrade, suites of whatever (expecially if you book a standard room!). In our case the room booked was a superior and we really did not expect such a surprise. The room given us was increadibly beautiful, newly furnished and designed. A/C worked very good. Excellent lights both in room and bathroom, soft and clean toilettries. Complimentary coffee and tea facility made that particular touch to the room. Reception guys are very polite and spoke very good english, friendly at all times and willing to serve the guest even when they are very busy. I will recommend this hotel to friends and anyone who is looking for a good accomodation in Rome.

Excellent Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member blip

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Starhotel Metropole, and we loved it! We booked a standard room through Expedia, and our room was great. We were on the 9th floor, don't know if that matters. The room was very clean, had a bright clean bathroom with a big tub, the bed was very firm (which we thought would be bad but turned out to a great nights sleep), and there was tea, coffee, etc with a hot water pot. We found the staff quite pleasant, and they always answered any questions we had. Not to mention that we spent very little time in the room, since we were in Rome!
The location was great: 2 minute walk from Termini, and about a 10 minute walk to the Trevi fountain, Colisseum, Pantheon, and most of the other sites. We only took one cab ride. And the metro is right in the train station. We couldn't have asked for anything else out of a hotel that was so affordable!

Just Okay- will not stay there again.

I read the reviews on this website and noticed the few bad reviews but looked the other way. I thought we'd take our chances. Well, when I showed up, I ask for a newly refurbished room (as one reviewer suggested) but the front desk was very rude and unaccommodating. We ended up in a very small and old room (NOT as described by the reviews!). I asked to be moved but they said that the "standard room" I reserved through Expedia is exactly what I received. The next morning (after a rough night on a very old bed) when they started construction directly above us (imagine a jack hammer over your room) I demanded that they move us. The room we got on the 8th floor was lovely. Large, new nice furniture, tv & phone in bathroom, etc. Just as described by the reviews.

The free breakfast was pretty good (eggs, bacon, yogurt, juice, etc) and the PC in the lobby with free internet access was a nice touch. The location is okay, reasonably priced shops in the area but it's a walk (or about 7 Euros cab ride) to sites and posh shopping in the Center of Rome. The front desk was in general not very helpful or nice, but it depended on who you got. And they advertise that they have inroom safes but they don't. But, you can leave your belongings in a small safe deposit box in the lobby.

If you're reserving the "standard room" I would not take your chances. Find someplace else to stay. I'm appreciative that we got moved but after walking around Rome and talking to other visitors, we could have stayed in a better place, lost the hassles of complaining and moving rooms, been closer to the sites, and paid less than what we paid at the Starhotel Metropole.

Excellent Accomodation

My wife and I just got back from a week's stay at the Starhotel Metropole in Rome. We were looking for something nice because it was our 20th wedding anniversary. I looked at hundreds of hotels on the internet and finally settled on this one. As all travelers do, I was worried about what I would find when I got to the hotel. The hotel is just a few blocks from the Termini train station and definitely walkable (about a 5-10 minute walk). The hotel was more than I could have hoped for. The front desk clerk, Roberto, was very nice, spoke very good English and upgraded us to a deluxe room, #405, (I couldn't tell if we really were upgraded or if all the rooms were like the one we got). The hotel lobby is pretty and spacious and includes a bar and sitting area. The hotel has a free internet terminal in the lobby. The room was excellent and spacious with a king size bed, a satellite tv and a mini-bar. The bathroom was tiled and included a tub with shower, a toilet and a bidet. The bathroom also included a blow dryer and a little tv with a remote control. Our room overlooked the street, which is fairly busy, and was fairly quiet. If you are a light sleeper the noise might affect you, but we barely noticed it. All of the hotel staff were pleasant and spoke English. The free breakfast buffet was very good and included lots of different food including scrambled eggs, bacon, cold meats like ham and mortodello, cereals, fruit, baked apples, croissants and so on. Coffee and cappucino are available and are also free. As for the location, it couldn't be beat. Rome only has two subway lines so if you are not near a Metro stop, be prepared to walk, a lot!! Many parts of the city, including the Pantheon and Piazza Novana, do not have a subway stop near them. The Metropole has two stops within a 3 minute walk including the Termini stop and the Republicca stop. I would recommend using the Republicca stop which is less crowded than the Termini. Don't let the fact that the hotel is near the Termini dissuade you from chosing this hotel. It is just a few blocks away from the Termini but it is a safe neighborhood with at least three or four restaurants lining it. We were out to late in the morning on a few occasions but never felt unsafe. The hotel is modern without giving up too much in charm. Very much like an American hotel.

Great Hotel for Rome

excellent hotel, ideally located, walking distance to all main rome attractions (apart from the vatican). Hotel staff helpful, they can get tickets for pretty much all events in Rome. Room was clean, excellent shower. A good buffet breakfast. Would recommend this hotel to family and friends

WORST HOTEL EVER

The hotel claims to be an upscale Italian hotel, but is definitely not! Disgusting out of date rooms. Nothing like the pictures! I had requested to have a king size bed, come to find out that their king size is two twins put together... horribly uncomfortable! The service was aweful. I had simply asked the bar to use their corkscrew and they would not allow it. They did not give us our requested wake-up call the morning of our flight out and we missed our plane. They refused to compensate for anything! TERRIBLE, I wish I would have listened to the prior reviews!

Recommend Starhotel, very hospitable

Stayed at this hotel last weekend, had a great time in Rome. We picked this hotel after reading some of the reviews on this website. We followed advice of others and asked for a room 6th floor or above, as they had been refurbished, we were not dissapointed, they were also soundproofed, as we heard very little of the 24 hour festival of light on the Saturday night! We had top floor (9th) room which even had a small balcony. Staff were helpful, and the breakfast was self service with plenty of choice. I would certainly go there again. well recoommended.

Stayiing in Rome with 9 month old baby

by crystal8000

I am going to Rome for 4 nights with my 9month old baby and was wondering if anyone has any advice about good hotels that cater for babies and where I can buy nappies and baby supplies while in Rome.
Also just any general travel trips with a baby would be appreciated.
Thanks.

RE: Stayiing in Rome with 9 month old baby

by monorailgold

Hello,
Rome is not a very stroller friendly city. If you have a baby backpack carrier, I would suggest you bring it. There are tons of stairs, huge cobbles and uneven roads and sidewalks that make using a stroller almost impossible. (Not to mention the crowds!) Maybe one of those "All terraine" strollers with the huge wheels would work, but I'm not sure.....

Good luck, Donna

by 8000crystal

Thanks for the info. I will be in Rome on 22 august for 4 nights and then again on 01/sept for 2 nights. I havent booked accomodation yet but will definatley get some with aircon. I am looking into staying at starhotels metropole or Hotel Diocleziano. I have chosen those two because they have a bath and will provide a cot free of charge. Does anyone know if they are any good?
Thanks again in advance

by rubbersoul75

I also reccomend a good baby back carrier. We've done Rome twice with our little ones, 2 weeks ago and a year ago. They are currently 1.5 & 3. Both times the back carrier was key. 9 months should be very easy with the back carrier. We also use small umbrella stroller, light and easy to pick it up when the terrain can;t handle it. Though 90% of the areas you can push a stroller, streets, piazzas, churches, museums, are OK, Forum in particular is difficult, and of course stairs and getting on/off public transport).

You should not have much trouble finding a local grocery store in the neighborhood that you stay to purchase the supplies. Ask the hotel when you are making reservations.
Beware, our convent (very lvely, nicer than many hotels) told us ther was air conditioning, and there was a unit, but it only really served as a fan. If you do get a room with good A/C, consider a mid-day siesta to give your little one, and youself, a break from the heat. ALso, the churchs stay surprisingly cool, but are usually closed between 12-3 p.m.

ciao
Jon

by rubbersoul75

I've found most things do work here (except for the taxis, which were/are on strike recently), just not as efficiently as some other countries!
Though I am living in the north, which supposeldy functions better than the south. ..

RE: Stayiing in Rome with 9 month old baby

by marieangel

Just a quick general tip, do not choose your hotel just cos it has cots, we bought a samsonite travel bubble for our little girl, it only weighs 3 kg and cost £45 and she loves it. we were offered some awful cots on our trips away so be warned!It also has a built in mosquito net. Rome is beautiful, have a great time.

Comments