Via della Stazione di S. Pietro 14, Rome, Lazio, 00165, Italy

Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• AMB21's Profile Photo

Best location

Clean and comfortable. You can see St Peter's Basilica from your window. The area is quiet and residential. Bus and train routes in walking distance. Nice stores and restaurants nearby. Great breakfast buffet.

Unique Quality: The close location to St Peter's and the vatican.

Directions: Vatican district

• knyaz's Profile Photo

Starhotel Michelangelo

Great 4-star hotel. A few blocks from Vatican City. Great area all around, very quiet and clean. Nice fruit shop in the same building... Loved the cherry tomatoes!!

Unique Quality: Bar, restaurant.

• Starhotel Michelangelo

Nice and clean hotel. The room was excellent. The location is within 15 minutes walking distance from the Vatican. Overall, my husband and I were very satisfied and would consider staying in this hotel again.
    Free Internet access (one PC in the hotel lobby).

More about Starhotels Michelangelo

Tickets for Roma and Lazio

by bianca&gav

After searching for hours for a Lottomatica kiosk to buy tickets we found one around the corner from the hotel we were staying (Starhotels Michelangelo). Its situated on Via Di Porta Cavalleggri with the junction of Via Delle Fornaci and tickets for Laio V Samporia in the curva nord cost 15 euros each (you will need to take your passport for ID).
To get to the stadium take the number 32 bus from Piazza del Risorgimento and after 5-10 minutes you'll see the stadium on your left hand side.

Pick up one of the free papers outside the stadium as you'll need something to sit on as the seats are scruffy.

Perfect stay for a city break

by TripAdvisor Member LouMG

Stayed in a triple with my family for two nights before Christmas.
Reception staff friendly and helpful on arrival and room clean and pleasantly decorated.
As others have pointed out location wonderful for St Peter's and although nearest metro stop about 15-20 mins. away we were keen to take in scenery so walked everwhere- and felt relatively safe returning late at night.
Rooms quiet at night, although maybe a little warm, and breakfast wonderful; wide choice. Sheets changed daily and gift of chocolate left on pillow! (I'm easily bought!)
Bar quite expensive- as many hotel bars can be- so recommend you take your after dinner drinks of limoncello or sambucca in the trattoria in which you dine.
Would happily return to the Starhotel Michelangelo.

Great hotel!

We stayed at this hotel in August 2003. Our stay was great. The rooms are fairly large for European standards although not as large as North American hotel rooms.

The breakfast that is included in the room price is wonderful. It had a wide selection of both hot and cold foods to choose from.

The rooms were all airconditioned which is vital especially in August! The only thing that could be improved were the windows in the rooms. They are very thin and do not keep much noise out.

The location of this hotel is awesome as it is right next to the Vatican. There is also a very frequent bus that stops right in front of the hotel.

Overall we were very impressed with this hotel and would stay there again.

Just the Job

Having the read some previous reviews of this hotel i was a little nervous. But cant believe having been there how wrong some people can be. Stayed for a long weekend in July 2004, and was throughly impressed. The reception area is stylish and the hotel is clean throughout, our room was plenty large enough with a lovely view of St Peters church.

The location is surperb as wherever you are in the city you can always see the Dome of St Peters church and you know you the hotel is only 5 mins from there. Lets be honest you only use a hotel as a base and the Starhotel does the job perfectly.

Very good and convenient 4 Star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Citylaw

Our stay was from May 21-24, 2004. My wife and I stayed here following a repositioning cruise from Baltimore. We wanted to be close to Vatican City, and this hotel certainly was that. Our room was large, clean, reasonably well appointed and with a nice enough view. The staff was quite professional and helpful, particularly on their advice about a taxi service to the airport. The restaurant is a little pricey for main meals, but served a nice breakfast as part of the rate. This hotel is not cheap by US standards, but about average for European 4 star hotels, slightly more than $200.00 US per night. With a good map of Rome you can walk over most of the old city, and as noted, the Vatican is virtually across the street. This is a very good value hotel.

Great Staff!

We really liked this hotel. The room was very clean, and larger than most European hotels. The staff were extremely helpful in recommending restaurants that were all very good. They also helped us with directions, etc. There are a few places close by to get a "snack" and we felt safe walking the area. It was really nice to be so close to Vatican City too. We had a nice view of St. Peter's from our room. The buffet breakfast was wonderful! The bus and train are only a block or two away so it's quite convenient. We would go back here.

Superb Service, Accomodation & location

My first time booking a hotel on the internet, and what a pleasant surprise. The room was spacious, exceptionally clean, and comfortable with relatively new linens and decor. The staff at the Starhotel Michael Angelo spoke English, were gracious and very helpful. The breakfast buffet was more variety than needed with fresh meats, cheeses, cereals, eggs, baked goods, etc with a very attentive staff. A hearty and pleasant way to begin the day. There was a computer in the lobby available for free use -- and what a treat to be able to email home in the am and have a return message by evening.
Guests were very courteous, so everyone had a chance on the internet. As a woman travelling, I felt very secure and safe at the Michael Angelo and would readily recommend it. It was a block from the Vatican and a number of little shops and eating places and a bank. Be sure to eat homemade pastas and pizza in Rome -- soooo delicious!

Recommendation: be sure you have pants or a skirt on, as well as shoulders covered, or you will be denied access to the Basilicas and Vatican Museum. I saw guards turning a lot of tourists away in shorts and tank tops. Scarves over a tank top were acceptable. Watch for pick pockets. I found an ameribag - over the shoulder back pack was a great way to keep things close and secure.

Watch for money switches -- I got taken by a taxi driver when I arrived -- after that I was all the wiser.

When you go to pay for something --count the money while it is still in your hand -- if you have a travelling compaion -- hand the money to them to recount before handing it to the receiver. And by all means count it out as you hand it to the receiver, so there's no question about the number of bills. I handed the taxi diver a 50 euro and a twenty while I looked for two ones. He turned a way making believe he was checking the meter again and turned back saying that I only gave him two twenties instead of the fifty and twenty. I only was carrying one fifty and I had given it to him and had no way to prove it. That cost me an extra thirty euro - I was wiser after that. When a taxi doesn't drop you directly in front of the hotel -- be suspicious.

Tours of the Catacombs

by RSHOOTER

We'll be staying at the Starhotel Michelangelo near the Vatican and would like to visit the Catacombs while traveling with our two teenagers. Are there tours that could pick us up at the Hotel or are easily accessable from there and do we need a reservation in advance?

RE: Tours of the Catacombs

by mccalpin

Look at http://www.catacombe.roma.it/ and click on "Practical Advices" - this will gie you instructions on how to take public transportation to the catacombs of San Callisto. The references to the Metro should help. There is a Metro stop called "Ottaviano" northeast of the Vatican that is likely close to your hotel (I haven't checked).

All (most?) the catacombs are in the same general area, although since they are along different major roads, you would find different buses servicing them. You might look at http://www.catacombsociety.org/visiting_Christian.html for information on all of them, but note that it looks like this website hasn't been updated recently, so doublechecking with the websites listed here would be wise.

As for tours, I would guess that there are some, but I have never used them. If you like, I can forward some names to you.

Bill

RE: Tours of the Catacombs

by kathyver

You could try the archeo bus which leaves Stazione Termini , (I think at about 10am each morning and goes to the catacombs, the tour is 8 euro and you can get on &off as you please at its various stops , the first being the Museum of the walls, the next stop if I remember correctly is the catacombs , might not be a bad idea to book the day before , hope this helps, by the way there are about 12 stops along the way on this tour , it was enjoyable

Comments