Suite Apt @ the Trevi

Altar, PantheonAltar, Pantheon

Angel with the Dice, May 2007Angel with the Dice, May 2007

live music rome

by Snej

Does anybody know if there are cafes, bars with live music around the area of via Nationale, we are going next week, the clock is chnaged , it is early dark, what can we do in the evening, if not just sitting in arestaurant

by icunme

Here is a link to my Rome nighlife tips:

Also, case del Jazz homepage:
Pick up a copy of Rome C'e to see all music/concerts scheduled in Rome for the week.

by DDjinaj

At via Nazionale the only place I know that would do live music is the Irish Pub (Finnegan's), maybe... again depending when you are in Rome, just around the corner from Via Nazionale at Santa Maria Maggiore there are three other irish pubs, at the Fiddler's Elbow every Thursdays there is the Open Mic which usually is good fun.... otherwise more options of live music are by Trastevere area or Testaccio (the student area)

by Snej

Thanks a lot,your tip is highly appreciated, i will be close to the MM church, so alive music on Thursday will be great!

by icunme

Here is quite an amazing link for Roma C'e - actally saw lots of stuff I like as well:

by Supertigger

I found some good links to pubs with live music on http://www.rome-explorer.com/rome-italy/Pubs_in_Rome.html
...even though I think you got back from Rome, it could be useful for someone else :-)

Travel Tips for Rome

Vatican City
This is the...

by wayward_son

Vatican City
This is the ultimate in Catholic cities. Contained entirely within Rome, it has its own postal system, armed guards, helipad, mini-train station, and radio station (KPOP). The Pope still holds public prayers on Sundays, when he is in town. The must-sees are as follows:
St Peter’s Basilica: the world’s largest cathedral. There are marks on the floor to show where the next-largest churches would fit if they were put inside.
Vatican Museum: one of Europe’s top 3 or 4 houses of art. The museum builds up to the ever famous Sistine Chapel (the Pope’s chapel), with the brilliantly restored masterpiece by Michelangelo. Caught in a rain storm under the arches at the Vatican with about a thousand other tourists. I was crowded against a column by a very short Japanese couple. It was a very funny experience.

Umbrella!

by Traveldi

Always Travel Light! I read somewhere that Rome was very Glam, so black was a good option and layers.
Whether or not this went with my trainers? How those women walk about in heels on those cobbled streets beats me!

I was there in September - really warm during the day - but it absolutely poured, and I mean big rain, so I had to buy an umbrella and yes it was overpriced. The Rose sellers switched to Umbrellas on that night. I ducked into a nice shop and bought an umbrella with Audrey Hepburn Roman Holiday logo on it - I know, I know , I know - so bring your umbrella. If you do go for the high heels, I'm sure a few band aids wouldn't go a miss! An extra memory card definitely - there are so many great photo ops! Layers in September & Umbrella

Cover up for your visit to the Vatican - just a light shawl over your shoulders will do the trick!

Jewellery

by chiara76 about Perla

There is the shop called Perla on Via del Corso.
Don't ask me why I can't find it on the internet, I don't know. I know it is as I have got wonderful gift from it for 5th Wedding Anniversary:)
Anyway there is nice jewellery there, yellow and white gold.
I am not sure about the silver there but I suppose there is it also. The jewellery in Rome is great and everybody finds something nice and for good price it depends what you would like to buy there:)

By plane, train or car.......

by Krystynn

By plane, train or car.... depending on where you're arriving from.

Rome's main airport - Fiumicino, also known as Leonardo da Vinci, is about 30KM from the city.

There is an express rail service between Termini Station and the airport which takes approximately 30 minutes and runs every hourly from 7AM - 10PM. Tickets cost L15,000.

And the regular service from Fiumicino to the city center takes about 25-40 minutes.

If you prefer to take a cab, the cab ride into Rome from Fiumicino cost at least L80,000, including a surcharge for the airport trip.

The fare: L11,500 from Fiumicino Airport to City; L14,000 from the city center in Rome to Fiumicino Airport.

Photo Below: The SPANISH STEPS - taken by yours truly's reliable camera. :-D

Reasonable Prices with a View of the Pantheon

by Lacristina about Zio Ciro

A very nice dining experience - quite reasonably priced especially given it's wonderful location.

I had a very fresh green salad with radicchio, then risotto with funghi porcini and I ate every bit of it.

The owner and I had a brief conversation (I really appreciate the opportunity to try out my Italian on any unsuspecting native). I explained that I was eating early and in a hurry in order to get to Santa Maria Sopra Minerva early for a concert that started at 8:30 p.m. (My VT friend in Rome, Abarbieri (Antonio) had warned me to get there an hour early to get a good seat -and he was right!) The owner was curious about the concert and I explained what I knew about it. Just a few words exchanged, really - and a few minutes later, he very kindly brought me a gift - a Limoncello in a beautiful yellow and green glass.

For those of you who haven't ever had the pleasure, Limoncello is ambrosia of the gods - an after dinner drink, served cold (I keep mine in the freezer) infused with lemon peel that is so utterly refreshing you'll think you're on a terrace in Amalfi, overlooking the Mediterranean.

I am always amazed at the kindness of people in Rome in the tourist industry. This gentleman sees hundreds of tourists every day, and yet he went out of his way to offer a kindness to someone who, as far as he knows, he will never see again. It's enough to melt the icy, overly suspicious, hand-on-your-wallet attitude that you sometimes need to travel with.

Back to the dinner. Total cost, about 20E. Really amazingly reasonable given that you're right on Piazza della Rotunda, looking at della Porta's fountain and Hadrian's Pantheon. On a warmer, non-rainy night, I can't think of many places I'd rather be for a late night dinner in Rome. Risotto is my favorate dish at ANY Italian restaurant, and it was pretty good here, too.

Comments