Suite Valadier

Via del Babuino 186, Rome, 00187, Italy
Suite Valadier
Hotels.com Booking.com Venere.com

More about Rome

Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri: interiorSanta Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri: interior

Virgin Mary mosaicVirgin Mary mosaic

Via del CORSOVia del CORSO

Throwing the three coins to the fountainThrowing the three coins to the fountain

The Catacombs

by agator

How far away from the Vatican - or from the Colosseum - are any of the Catacombs? Would it make sense to visit the Vatican - and the Catacombs - in one day? I remember having been there 45 years ago - but have no idea how we got there, or where they are. LOL

Re: The Catacombs

by leics

The catacombs are outside the Roman city walls on the opposite side of the Tiber to the Vatican. You could probably visit one of them in the same day, if you visited the Vatican early morning and left early to mid-afternoon, but it might be a bit of a stretch.

Unless you're prepared to get a taxi, you need to get a couple of buses, one to P. S. Giovanni in Laterano then the 218. This bus passes the tiny church of Quo Vadis and then goes down the Appian Way before stopping outside the entrance to both the S. Callixtus and S. Sebastiano catacombs. Both are fascinating places (all the catacombs are), but the S. Sebastiano has Roman 'house' tombs. The latter is also near the start of the remaining/restored Appian way; walking along the 'original' road, paved with slabs, past Roman tombs and the Circo Massentio on into the countryside is possibly the most evocative walk one can make in Rome (it doesn't have to be a long walk...........20 minutes will bring you to the fields.....). The 218 runs on a circular route, so you can easily get back to Rome central.

Do try and fit in a visit if you can.

Re: The Catacombs

by rita_simoes

It all depends on what you want to see in Vatican- if you want to see the basilica, climb up to the cuppola, and go the Vatican museums, then I would say you need an entire day just for that.

But if your idea is just to make a quick visit to Vatican, it is possible to do it in the morning and go to the catacombs in the afternoon.

Or, in alternative, you could visit the catacombs under the basilica, where presumably lies the body of Saint Peter... I did it and I enjoyed it a lot more than the catacombs. It's very interesting. But you need to make reservations at least one month before. It costs 10€, and you can find out more at http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_07121999_en.html .

Hope it helps!

Travel Tips for Rome

Backdoor to San Pietro

by LA_gianni

I'm always the wanderer - and one day there, I happenned to be walking somewhere around between the middle of the courtyard on the right side and behind the wall of columns - and there was an open door leading down....soooooo....i went in it....
and there inside was a narrow tunnel under the basilica - I walked in it for what seemed like 200m. and made a few turns, and passed what was an arched galley/tunnel of an altarplace, lined with gold and marble.
Praying inside were about 20 nuns and bishops etc, and then then at the front was the Pope himself -

Stroll in the Park of Pincio

by sandysmith

It was a warm Sunday afternoon, well for us tourists - many locals were still in their coats and scarves! Many people were enjoying the park and the wide open spaces, great for lazing around or a family picnic.

Fiumicino Airport

by sandysmith

We flew BA into Fiumicino Airport or Leonardo da Vinci Airport to give it its other name. Its a great modern clean airport - the floor shines with reflections! - one of the best i have been in. Easy connections are available into the centre of Rome by a linked railway.

Good pizza, pretty cool ambiance

by alza about Dar Poeta

That neat little place is tucked away in a vicolo in Trastevere. It wasn't that difficult to find but I'd been wandering around for hours, checking out various places mentioned in my guide-book (Dar Poeta was the last one on my list) and stopping at every corner to take in the life. Trastevere is very charming to explore, perhaps particularly on a Sunday (flea market, musicians, lots of people enjoying their day off, etc.)
I was sort of lost and was almost surprised when I finally got there.

The vicolo was empty and the mini-courtyard in front looked deserted. I'd heard you had to wait in line! Anyway I approached the half-closed door and a waitress saw me, she came outside and told me that of course, they were open!

Inside was not full but very inviting, walls decorated with poetry by GG Belli and maybe other poets who celebrate Rome in Romanesco. The wood oven in the back was beautiful and very fragrant the minute I walked in.

I had come for pizza and that's what I had, with a glass of red wine. I'll have to look at my picture of it to remember the kind, but it was very good. The crust was tops! I often hear that the Roman pizza has to be paper thin and must say I was glad that Dar Poeta's crust was just perfectly thick on the edge, a bit like the puffier Sicilian one.

The service was "bon enfant", no one seemed in a rush but that was fine, I was absorbed in my notes and map, planning my climb to the Gianicolo later. Price was reasonable, as far as I can recall.
I was able to go in the back and take a few pics but snapping people always embarrasses me so the pics are blurry. Pizza.

They have bruschette too, and calzone. Since my return, I've seen some bad reviews (by foreigners) who say the dessert Nutella-ricotta calzone is sickly sweet and the bruschette toppings are horrendous. I can't comment on that.
But when they say that the pizza is mediocre, I wonder if we ate at the same place! I really liked mine. Anyway I never really rate a dish like pizza, or a treat like gelato for that matter, as the one and only, best of all. Too many pizzerie in Italy to stick to the same place all the time.

My pizza was quite filling and the long walk on the Gianicolo was just what I needed afterwards.

Palace Ruins

by Brehone

Near the Roman Forum there is an area that is the ruins of an old palace. This is a fee area, but if you have already been to the Coliseum your ticket works for this area too. There is an old Roman bath house that is beautiful and a view of Circus Maximus. It was a very interesting walk.

Comments