Sweet Dreams

Satisfaction Average

More about Rome

Santa Susanna alle Terme di DioclezianoSanta Susanna alle Terme di Diocleziano

Alter Where Animals Were SacrificedAlter Where Animals Were Sacrificed

S. Giovanni Laterano - statues of the ApostlesS. Giovanni Laterano - statues of the Apostles

That`s a good perspective!That`s a good perspective!

Hotel in Rome

by jm34bee

I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times but I am really clueless when it comes to Rome.

I will be in Rome in January for a few nights and I am looking for a Hotel in a very central location with access to the touristy things. My budget is around 70 - 100 per night. Probably with breakfast included as well

Also any advise on must see tourist attractions would be great as well...

Thanks for the help!!!

Jamie :)

by jennwerner

Hotel Raneri is Great. We stayed here for our Honeymoon. SO close to everything...

They have an american bar, breakfast every day, free internet access and a pc you can use to access it. An amazing staff, a great price and oh so nice. We walked every where from here.......

Check out my tip on it for pictures.

Jenn

by leics

Do read the VT Rome pages for info on both hotels and sites. Wonderful city....well worth knowing a bit about it before you go. It's very walkable (public transport is excellent too), but staying centrally will make things much easier. I usually stay around the Termini area, for ease of airport access; Coliseum/Forum is about 15 minutes walk, Vatican area maybe 30 minutes (and plenty of transport options). No accommodation in Rome is cheap though, and you definitely get what you pay for.

www.venere.com is a very reliable website with honest customer reviews of hotels/b&bs etc. I always prefer to use it when choosing/booking my European accommodation.

by LubaLorine

Jaime - what currency is your "70-100" range supposed to be in? THis is a huge difference if you're talking about British pounds, US dollars or Euro.....or any other currency. Let us know and we can help you better...

In general, a good choice for budget is the Hotel Panda, located right near Spanish Steps in safe high-price shopping district. Simple rooms, some with private baths that cost more, but in general is a reasonable price and gets good reviews. See info on their website: www.hotelpanda.it (or.com)

See photos and reviews at www.TripAdvisor.com - also a good place to look for other possibilities.

LL

by jm34bee

My budget is in Euros €, the currency of Italy.

by leics

You will find some hotels within that budget (which is my usual one) on venere. Not a huge choice, but enough.

by LubaLorine

Bene on the euros - the Hotel Panda will fit in that euro range perfectly. Take a look at that website and the reviews on TripAdvisor and see if it meets your needs.

Also another excellent website for Rome hotel listings that I forgot to mention is www.Romeby.com You will find prices in all ranges and hotels and B&Bs and apartment type listings as well. Excellent website with many up to date photos that are accurate to help you select a good location.

Buona fortuna! LL

by waraney

I was asking the same question (where to stay cheap but good accommodation) in Rome. Now I've found it. romeby.com has provide the answers for my family (4 of us). Venere is also good but, for us Indonesians, romeby is better suited to our budget.
Thanks a lot fellow VTers.

Travel Tips for Rome

Pubblng in the Park

by goodfish

I loved the parks in Rome. Not only are they designed for people of all ages to actually use (vs just for youth sports), the largest of them have outdoor bars. Yes, you can have an espresso, glass of wine, mixed drink, beer, snack and even a cigar. During the warmer months, they are marvelous places to escape the crowds, catch some shade and hang out with lively Italian families doing the same. The two pictures I've included here are from cafe/bars in Villa Borghese and Parco Colle Oppio. These venues tend to be low-key and perfectly acceptable for children as a "bar" in Italy probably serves more coffee than alcohol. We saw lots of little ones playing around tables and in adjoining green spaces while the grownups chatted. Same stand-up/sit-down pricing applies as at indoor venues.

Circadian Flight on Winter

by Jeannkelly

For those who love the sights of migrating birds or circadian flights, be sure to get delighted sometime in winter (between November-January). You can see the flights at the city center like Piazza Venezia or around Termini. Wonderful especially for me who used to travel to places just to see these rare phenomena of birds.

The Rome Metro

by Paul2001

When I learned that Rome had a metro service I was hopeful that it would be very helpful. In fact it was not. Built more to commute bureaucrats and business people from their homes in the suburbs to their offices in the city centre, there are few places in Rome that the average tourist might be able to visit by way of the metro.
Part of the problem with building a metro line in Rome is that everytime they extend a line they run into another important ruin, so rich is Rome in archeological importance. However the metro is quite affordable. It cost just .75 Euros for a ticket. They are sold at tabocco shops around the city. The metro operates for 5:30am to 11:30pm.

The Best Italian Food ever!

by american_tourister about Cook for Yourself!

Carren is a world class cook. She has been for a number of years and my girth is testament to it. She specializes in Italian so we were both excited to be in Italy where she could use 100% local ingredients and products. This was one of the great benefits of renting an apartment instead of a hotel room.

She made salads, spaghetti, pizzas, pasta dishes, veal, etc while we were there. It was terrific. She shopped in all the little stores and we bought a bit here and a bit there until we found everything we needed.

The best story I have on this was my hunt for ground black pepper. She needed it for a tortellini dish she was preparing. I went from store to store looking for Pepe Nero Machiatta and was gone almost an hour. I could find plenty of pepper seeds but no ground pepper. Dissapointed, I returned back to the apartment and as a last gasp went into the very, very small shop across the street from our apartment. Now this shop only sells wine and bread along with some sundries. Guess what they had? .....Pepe Nero Machiatta. Carren's Buffalo Mozzarella, Sliced Tomato, and olive oil dressing.

They really are cool

by EllenH

This was the 4th time I was in Rome but the first time I saw the Spanish steps. First I bought two great pairs of earrings at the top, and I love earrings so that was cool. It was a beautiful day and people were hanging out on the steps everywhere. They are pretty, they are FREE, ok thats important when you are on a budget. I had read a warning tip on VT about the "old lady beggars" and I couldn't believe it. Kneeling about 1/2 down the steps was a head down praying, with a cup of course, begging old lady. Then she got up, took her cane, barely able to walk, let alone climb steps, and hobbled up the stairs with her cup held out. I looked at "her" hands and they looked like my 16 year olds and i looked at her feet under her long garb and they were tennis shoes. She had a scarf covering her face except for her eyes. If you couldn't walk would you really choose the Spanish steps as your preferred begging place? I really wanted "her" picture but I lost my nerve so here are the Spanish steps in general instead.

Comments