The Five Oscars Inn

Via Milano, 49, 1° piano - Int. 6, Rome, 00184, Italy
The Five Oscars Inn
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Rome

People way to drink waterPeople way to drink water

another shop on Via dei Cestarianother shop on Via dei Cestari

The Streets of Rome, May 2007The Streets of Rome, May 2007

Navona in December.Navona in December.

Flying out of Fiumicino in May

by collegeprof

Hi, After a one week Eastern Mediterranean cruise from Venice to Istanbul and back and then a couple of nights in Cinque Terre, my husband and I have another 3-4 days to wend our way to Fiumicino to fly home in May. We have visited Rome several times and as recently as last May and so do not need to include a visit this year. I am hoping for some suggestions regarding the following:

1. What would be the advantages of renting a car in Venice and driving to Cinque Terre and then south stopping in maybe Siena, definitely Deurta and then where???? We have never driven in Italy and would like to avoid urban areas. If we do rent a car we are considering dropping it off before getting to the airport. Any suggestions?

2. Would this be a train-friendly itinerary?

3. Where might we stay outside the city of Rome which would be interesting and from which we could get a train to our 2:30 pm flight?

Thanks so much! Marilyn

by effeti

Hi Marilyn

mmmm your plans scream "rent a car" to me!

If you are avoiding major towns, there is so much that can be seen easily driving, and with a lot of problems and waste of times.

just a few ideas (check the VT pages to see what i'm talking about, and avoiding major towns)

1) Venice to 5 lands. You may want to visit Asolo, Montagnana, Soave, Mantova, Ferrara, Ravenna, Parma, Sabbioneta

2) from 5 lands to Rome. Wow... only fantasy can limit: Lucca, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano, Arezzo (or even Siena) Montepulciano, Pienza, Monticchiello and then in Umbria Assisi, Bevagna, Narni, Gubbio, Spoleto, Urbino and then again Civita di Bagnoregio, Vejo, Tarquinia, Tuscania, or Tivoli...

All of them worth a visit, and hard to reach by train (well, the most).

Do not worry to drive to Fiumicino. Wherever you may come from, you don't have to cross Rome, because there is a wide ringroad higway connected to the airport.

Now, make you duties, study ALL of the town I mentioned... And you won't decide anything else that a rental car!

Ciao
Francesco

by qaminari

1. I don't think Venice is the best place to rent a car, and when you get to the Cinque Terre you'll have to abandon it somewhere.
2. However, by train from Venezia Santa Lucia to La Spezia Centrale you would have to change twice, at Florence and Viareggio, and total travel time is about 6 hours (e.g. dep. 10:43, arr. 17:08). La Spezia to Perugia (for DERUTA) takes about 5 hrs, e.g. dep. 9:19 arr. 14:18, via Pisa and Florence. So at least at Perugia you would need a car to visit Deruta, and then there are lots of other nice places in the area, e.g. Assisi, Spello, Spoleto, Todi, Orvieto.
3. Tarquinia, Viterbo - or even Orvieto. However, you don't have to drive through the city of Rome to the airport, but around it; so if you have a car at that point you might also consider returning it at the airport.

by collegeprof

Thank you so very much; you really answered my questions and provided some welcomed advice. Marilyn

Travel Tips for Rome

Fontana di Trevi

by pili

This fountain was designed by Nicola Salvi in the 18th century and became famous in Federico Fellini´s movie: "La Dolce Vita". Do you remember Anita Ekberg´s famous splash? . In the centre of the fountain you can find an image of Neptune, God of the Sea.-
The fountain is located near the Spain Square and the Navona Square.-

La fuente fue diseñada por Nicola Salvi en el siglo XVIII y se convirtió en mundialmente famosa al aparecer en la pelicula "La Dolce Vita" de Federico Fellini. En el centro de la fuente se encuentra una imágen de Neptuno, Dios del Mar, según la mitología romana.
La fuente se encuentra a pocas cuadras de la Plaza España como así de Plaza Navona.- It´s a huge fountain, unique for its large size and for its beauty. You should sit there for a while and see the astonished faces of the tourists when they see the fountain. The place where the fountain was built is too small, and because of that, the view of the fountain is even more magnificient.- There is a very nice church, just opposite the fountain – la Santi Vicenzo e Anastasio – that you shoud visit.-

Es una fuente realmente única por su belleza y por su tamaño. Vale la pena sentarse un largo rato a admirarla y fundamentalmente a observar a los turistas que quedan asombrados con semejante obra de arte. El lugar donde esta enclavada es muy pequeño y por ello se realza más su grandiosidad. Hay también, enfrente de la fuente, una iglesia muy bella - la Santi Vicenzo e Anastasio - que también merece una visita.-

Ostia Antica

by stiab3

This is about 30 minutes from Rome by Suburban train. It is the ruins of an ancient city which was on the mouth of the Tiber but became silted up due to a flood and a subsequent shift in the rivers course.

The ruins are well preserved and make a very interersting visit. I'd recommend spending half a day here . . . although I spent a full day here.

PUB CRAWL!

by Jodi_22 about Rom(e)ing Tours

Rom(e)ing tours is probably the most popular student tour in Rome. There are 3 different tours to choose from. The one I went on was the Pub Crawl tour. You begin with a walking tour of the Trevvi Fountain and Spanish Steps. On the tour you hear great stories of aristocracy, exorcisms, mistresses, and ghosts from a American english speaking guide. Our guide's name was Dylan and he definitely kept us entertained. From the Spanish Steps we began the pub crawl. Our tour guide stepped down so he could hang out with us, and another guy arrived to take his place. 5 pubs, drink discounts, and the chance to meet a lot of really great people. No dress code. Look good, be comfortable, especially wear comfortable shoes.

Charming neighborhood restaurant

by Jen419 about Ristorante Piccola Roma

My mother & I came back from a day trip out of the city too tired to wander far from the hotel & I had remembered passing this restaurant & I am so happy we went in. Don't let the English translation of the menu posted outside fool you, it's a neighborhood restaurant, as I noted that we were the only tourists in the place. The waiters (who greeted us as if we were their long lost cousins) were not really in fantastic command of English (but I speak basically no Italian & it all worked out) and the menu is totally Italian once you're inside. And since it is located very close to one of the Parliament buildings I shouldn't have been surprised when a couple walked in & our waiter greeted them with "good evening sentator." The staff was by far the most cheerful I met in Rome, treated us just as well as everyone else despite my atrocious Italian and our obvious nature as tourists. The food is DELICIOUS and reasonably priced. They have an antipasta buffet available as well as the other antipasta choices. I can't eat a pasta & a second dish, so I can't speak as to their secondi, but the pasta was delicious and you should absolutely have dessert & coffee. There are wine bottles stacked along the walls & what look to be antiques decorating the rooms. I had the gnocchi with pesto which was absolutely delicious, the waiter came with fresh grated parmesean to sprinkle over top of it. The tiramisu was absolutely fabulous and stay for cappucino. The famous Giolitti is next door, but have gelato another time & stay for tiramisu & coffee here. Pastas were between 9 and 11 euro.

Beautiful, yet crowded

by evilprebil

I was more than happy to shove my way to see the Trevi fountain! It was even more spectacular than I could have imagined. Of course it is that poignant scene in La Dolce Vita and is fed by ancient Roman aqueduct. It was packed, so be wary of pick-pockets, but definitely worth the stop...a Rome must see!

Comments