The Grand Hotel Via Veneto

Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto
Agoda.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 175% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Rome

When I saw Colosseum!When I saw Colosseum!

S.Maria Maggiore, Ceiling Detail, Roma, May 2007S.Maria Maggiore, Ceiling Detail, Roma, May 2007

Villa Doria PamphiljVilla Doria Pamphilj

Pantheon Floor with Rose Petals, May 2007Pantheon Floor with Rose Petals, May 2007

BTI Rail Ticket

by Judiz

Hiya
Just wondering if the 11e BTI ticket which is for tourists for 3 days is able to be used to get from the Airport into Rome, and if so whereabouts do I purchase one? I am staying with my daughter near the Vatican and get in around 7-30pm, so want to get to our accommodation as simply as possible. Thanks for your help...Judi

by craic

i am reasonably sure you have to buy a special ticket for the trains from Fuimicino - costs 11 euro to termini BUT then you have to get from termini to near the vatican - so maybe getting a taxi might just be easier all round - I understand it costs a flat rate of 40 euro from the airport into anywhere within the city walls

but only for cabs not registered in Fuimicino just checl before you get in - agree on a price - only take a cab from the rank in front of the airport

by craic

were you thinking of catch the train or a bus or a taxi from termini to your accomodation?

by domenicococozza

As far as I am aware the 72 hour BTI ticket(11 euros) will cover all ATAC buses, metro A & B, then the following routes only: Rome-Lido,Rome-Viturbo,
Rome-Pantano.
I can find no reference to it's useage from either of Rome's airports,by train.
I don't know if ATAC buses journey from Fiumicino but if they do, then I can see no reason why you couldn't use the bus.

by Judiz

Thankyou both for your reply...I did some more research last night in a Lonely Planet book and I think you are right...I need the other ticket...might be easier to get a taxi from the airport. I was planning on then getting the metro, but not having been to Rome before think it might be a bit daunting at night with my 14 year old!! Thanks again for your help. Judi

by craic

yeah - i am picking a taxi might be just the job after a long flight - just check the price with the driver before you get in - most roman taxi drivers are fine - but have your address written down for him (most likely a him) if yur italian accent isn't very good

by craic

oh i just noticed you are 2 people - that makes a taxi even more cost effective -

Travel Tips for Rome

Railings

by kari5

Don't lean on any railings. We'd been in the city a few hours and decided to stop for a rest and to try and figure out where we were going. As we did so, I leaned against a railing (the sort of thing if you did it here in England nobody would even notice you were doing it, much less bother) and a policeman immediately came rushing over to tell me not to. I'm not sure why. He was perfectly okay about it, but it was exactly the sort of embarrassment I didn't need :)

On the patio at Castel Sant'Angelo

by unravelau

Castel Sant'Angelo (12th Century) was originally Hadrian's Mausoleum of 123AD. I was very impressed by this monument and could have spent a lot longer there...........so if you think that you are anything like me set aside one whole day for this place. I would have loved to have spent more time looking at the art and museum rooms where lots of bits and pieces are stored. It is also full of passageways that definitely need investigation...................... enjoy yourself.

Easy subway

by sissah

Rome has one of the easiest subway systems I've ever encountered. It's two lines, A and B, and they'll take you anywhere you want to go in Rome. Once you buy your ticket (which a lot of people don't do, and if you don't want to fine -- you'll probably not get caught, but if you do, it's a nice little fine), stick it in one of the yellow boxes on the wall. That's how you do everything in Italy -- trains, buses, subway -- get your ticket stamped and hop on the train. You can get your ticket at one of the booths selling newspapers and cigarettes and gum. Still, Rome is a walking city, and you can pretty much see anything you want by foot, but the subway is way easy too.

Outdoors dining at its best

by TinKan about Any outdoor cafe

You must eat outdoors at a sidewalk cafe at least once when in Rome.

There is nothing like having a good meal and a nice glass of wine while sitting and watching the world go by.

Any place will do but do make sure that they do have a cover of some sort as you never know when the birds are going to fly by. We always try the local house wine.

At a certain time every sunny day . . .

by Beausoleil

No trip to Rome would be complete without a visit to St. Peter's Basilica. If you get there at the right time of day, these shafts of light remind you what it is all about.

Don't forget to see Michelangelo's Pieta on your right as you enter the church. I forgot and we had to go back a second day. It's too bad they have to keep it behind glass now, but it is still awe inspiring.

When you go, don't forget there is a dress code. Both men and women must have knees covered. Ladies may wear slacks. Thank goodness!

Comments