Torre Rossa Park

Venere.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 28% less but rated 18% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Torre Rossa Park

An ok hotel for the price

Ok,
Having booked without reading the reviews expected something terrible on arrival.

Whislt the location is not ideal bus from the underground station stops outside. Best time termini to the hotel was 18mins worst was 1hr 30. average was around 20 minutes.

Road outside isn't good for walking although turn right from exit and there is a footpath all the way to the bus stop . (Stop after the hotel if coming from the station). If you are there on sunday get a taxi to the station as all the buses are full (hence the 1hr30 wait) wish religous itialians !!

As for the location what do you want. It's 2 stops from the vatican we did the trip from hotel to musem in 30 mins includeing the walk from the Cipro stations, 5 from barberini and 10 from termini. Termini is the last place you want to be near !!!.

room was basic but functional. Two single to make a twin tv, shower room. Air con worked. Room was exceptionally clean and tidy and stayed that way for the 3 nights we were there. Breakfast fine plenty of food every morning, cold meats, cheese, pastrys and bacon, sausage and scambled eggs, ceral fruit etc. all the coffee and juice you could drink. Didn't eat in restaurant as we eat in rome most nights.

Had well stocked bar/ cafe staff where pleasant and helpful. Only real issue of concern was light fingered staff as the wifes mobile phone dissapeared from the room on the first day !!!!! (ok so I shouldn't have left it behind).

On the whole I felt we got a good deal from the trip based on the complete package price, Location not ideal but a 4 euros a day each for the fares it was a cheap option. the travelling allowed us to experience more "life" in rome. The hotel was in a quiet location and as above was clean and tidy so overal a good choice for a cheap break.

great hotel just a little out of the mainstream of things!

This hotel was great for the price , i really didnt have any bad things to say about the hotel besides we had to take a cab everywhere we wanted to go nothing was in walking distance.But besides that it was good, the breakfast was good, the eggs were a little watery but good. The dinners and lunch was ok nothing really too good but eatable. And alot reviews complained about the shower and room being dirty but ours was spotless and the maids made sure they kept it that way.And the workers at the hotel spoke english and were pretty helpful.We stayed here for 8 days so i would recommend this hotel for people that dont have much money because its great for the price but your gonna have to spend some money on those cabs!!!

Would not recommend

We were not greeted at the reception of the lobby, we had to wait until the workers were done chit-chatting for them to even bother looking in our direction. The room we stayed in was dissapointing, dirty walls, only warm water in the bathroom, and the rooms were not sound proof whatsoever. The worst thing I can say is the location of the hotel. To walk to the metro you basically have to walk amongst a busy street dodging fast cars honking at you left and right, because for part of the walk, there is no sidewalk. There is a bus stop near the hotel, but you have to buy tickets before you enter the bus, and we did not know where to buy them. Overall a bad experience.

Hotel Staff Looked After Us !!!!!

Despite all the negative reports we found the hotel to offer value for what we paid. Although a bit off the beaten track, the rooms, food and facilities were satisfactory. On one occasion we had a complaint about a meal and they were most apologetic + and to be fair, not only did they NOT charge us but they provided complementary offerings.

If you have a complaint, do as you would at home, GO TO THE MANAGER - we found that he was able to deal with the situation quickly and professionally.

Gerry Murphy, Dublin, Ireland
(was there for Christmas '04)

Be-aware

Be aware of the following before booking at this hotel:-
1. Its off the beaten track about 1km from Cornella Metro, if you walk from the metro its a very busy road. The pavements are very narrow and for the last 100m or so there are no pavements and is poorly lit its not suitable for elderly or children.
2.The hotel lobby is quite impressive, I belive it has been upgrade recently. Its is used for conventions though.
3.The accomodation is seperate from the main building.Its in 4 seperate blocks each 3 storys high. The rooms are tiny we transferred from a double to a twin to enable us to have a slightly larger room. The rooms were double glazed but I do not think that to be for every block. Some blocks seemed to be undergoing upgrade.There does not seem to be any soundproofing and it was easy to hear the slightest noise from the next room.I do not know what it would be like peak season.
Breakfast was basic, scrambled eggs and bacon only warm.
4The hotel is set away from the road and apart from noise due to lack of soundproofing was quiet in January.
The receptionist seemed friendly enough but the rest of the staff seemed to keep a low profile.
5The towels etc were changed each day, but the beds were not always made. The shower was tiny and difficult to retain the water in the shower area.
6We asked for a non smoking room, but there are facilities on each landing for smoking so our room smelt of smoke.
The Metro is cheap and easy enough to use although it will get crowded.
There is a bus stop outside of the hotel to the right and cross the road.
The bus goes to the St Peters square, and there are metros local for onward journeys. Tickets for bus /metro can be bought at the hotel.

Dont discount Domis Pacis

So many people are quick to say bad things about this place but remember it for what it is. It was built as a dormatory for the Olympics in Rome many years ago. If you can understand that then you can understand the decent price and not expect so much. Anyway, we found the staff very plesant and super helpful. Its all in how you present yourself and how you communicate. The location is just down from the Vatican but expect taxi rides to and from anywhere in town back and from the hotel to be about 10 Euro. Or the bus stop is just across the street and not as hazardous as I read before I went there.
You have time to wait, take a short (3 stops) on the bus and then down into the Metro tube to anywhere in the City. Across the street is a fantastic resteraunt. Order the seafood salad...WOW! There is a rental car place right next to the bus stop at the Hotel across the street. Driveing in Rome is super interesting to say the least and its hard to get to the Domis Pacis by car because of the street layout. But I managed two times to do it so it can be done! Drive back to deliver the car, then walk across the street to the hotel. Petrol is high but cars there dont burn a lot. Get out and enjoy! The room is just a place to sleep and change clothes and store your things.

Not good I'm afraid

by TripAdvisor Member choccy07

A whole party of friends & family stayed here Sept 04. A good few problems were encountered. The staff in arranging airport transfers were a nightmare in STARK contrast to the same hotel chain at Domus Mariae now Hotel Palazzo Carpegna. They were ignorant & unhelpful.
The rooms were basic but OK. The location was a bit off beaten track. I would certainly recommend the same hotel chain only stay at the Hotel Palazzo Carpegna, affordable but much better.

Read the reviews!

by TripAdvisor Member christinerod1

We stayed at this hotel in Aug. '04 and what a stay we had!

We arrived early, and we were grunted at to stay in the lobby. After a few hours, I noticed that people were arriving and checking in. I returned to the desk and inquired. Our room had been ready and no one bothered to tell us. We had been sitting directly in front of the front desk!!!

When we arrived at our room, we were greeted with a small room with torn curtains and stained carpet. I have to say though, that it was clean and the housekeeping service was really good. Also, our bathroom was spotless. I guess it all depends on what building you are in.

Overall, the worst part of this hotel is the staff. They are so incredibly rude that it became comical. I tried to figure out how I was going to be mistreated next. A helpful hint: Once you show a little attitude, most of the staff lighten up a bit.

The restaurant was pretty good, although when we tried to eat indoors, we were told "NO!!!!!" Eating on the patio was really relaxing though.
Were were also scolded when we tried to score a cup of coffee at the end of the continental breakfast.

The lobby looks nice in pictures, but the furniture is so stained, it made me sick. All it needs is a little steam cleaning.

A few notes: After a long day, the walk up the incline to the hotel is not fun at all. Also, the bus service is in a weird spot.

This hotel isn't close to the sights and I would recommend staying closer. If you are already booked here, don't sweat it. Just make the most of it. It isn't great, but it isn't intolerable. Maybe you'll even feel some kind of weird nostalgia for the place, like we did.

Updated review and email address

Using European standards, this is a 3 star hotel with a slight caveat...the lobby is maybe a 4 star and the rooms are maybe two star.

Good points are it is quiet and the grounds are nice for walking. It is also one of the few inexpensive places to stay at in Rome. Rooms are spartan but I thought they were fine, lobby and dining are very nice.

Try eating accross the street, I think it was called Arturo's. Really liked it.

Only bad point in my opinion was location, can't really walk anywhere. Budget for 20 euro a day for cabs and then compare prices with downtown hotels. I still think this would be a good deal.

All of this is subjective of course, to me a Holiday Inn is very nice while my wife pushes for a Hyatt, etc. She thought this was fine, not as bad as some of the places her "tightwad" hubby has tried to con her into.

Domus Crapus

by TripAdvisor Member abslout

All I have to say is that my bf and I had to get really drunk before going back to this hotel for the night b/c we couldn't deal with it. Very off the beaten path and terrifying!!!

VittorianoVittoriano

Santi Giovanno e Paulo, Roma, May 2007Santi Giovanno e Paulo, Roma, May 2007

Palazzo Giustizia - Façade on TiberPalazzo Giustizia - Fa├žade on Tiber

II ColosseoII Colosseo

Information required

by MKSen

I will be in Rome from october 3 till October 6, 2007. I wish to know what is the cost effective way of travelling all around Rome by public transport, including travel to Leonardo Da Vinci airport. How much would it cost and where can I buy the pass/ticket? Is it available at the airport?

Re: Information required

by leics

You can get a three-day ticket from the booth in the bus station outside Termini; this will give you unlimited travel on buses, trams, the metro and local railways (e.g. the line to Ostia Antica).

I don't know if you can buy this pass at Fiumicino airport, but you may well be able to. This page has info on transport links from the airport:

Re: Information required

by mccalpin

The most cost effective way to use Rome's public transportation for three days is either the 3-day ATAC pass (all buses, trams, and Metro - called a "BTI") or the Roma Pass that includes the 3-day ATAC pass along with some museum discounts...your choice as to which is more effective for you. Look at the Transportation Tips on my Rome page for description and links (and prices) for both of these.

Note that no pass includes travel on the Leonardo Express from Fiumicino airport to Termini, the main train station. Currently, this train is 11 euro each way (it's priced for a first class seat). There is also another train from Fiumicino which is much cheaper, but doesn't go to Termini...so its usefulness depends on where your hotel is.

You can buy the ATAC pass at literally thousands of places in Rome: newspaper kiosks, tobacco stores, some bars, ATAC sales offices, etc. If you take the train from Fiumicino, I would check in with the newspaper kiosk there at the train station in the airport and see if they have it (I assume they would), so you can buy the Leonardo Express ticket(s) and the ATAC pass at the same time.

Bill