75 via Napoleone III, Rome, 00185, Italy
Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Rome

Via CondottiVia Condotti

View from the back facing the loveseatView from the back facing the loveseat

Tiber River, RomeTiber River, Rome

Foro Romano.Foro Romano.

Unique Experiences in Rome (Really Really Off The Beaten Path)

by lilimj

Rome is my favorite city in the world. What unusual experiences or people were encountered on your last trip there? I chose to travel to Rome during the Christmas season this time to see things in a different way, experience something new.
Like last time I was there,we stayed at Ambacsiatori Hotel on Via Veneto, a totaly unexpected surprise booked by the tour group, it's near the American Embassy, so when any diplomats from other countries or Italian officials come to town thet stay there.
We had just returned from Florence, (which was an incredible experience in it's self) and there were all kinds of limos with different flags on them parked outside, I guess some kind of Government meeting going on, there was lots of gorgeous security guys outside dressed in Armani, with sunglasses on at night, looking very stern & official,I told my friend, Let's go outside and start taking pictures of them and the cars and see what they do, so we thought we were going to be reprimanded in some way, but only in Italy, they started posing for the pics by the cars, some were arguing to change places so we could get their best side, it was hilarious.
The next night we were walking down Via Veneto and we heard this strange organ music, and it was coming from this basement with windows at street level(think Laverne and Shirley) so we looked in and it was a man in a red crushed velvet tux with a gold ruffled shirt and a huge bow tie, playing an old organ, lots of other people dancing who looked like they were from the 60's, the organ player waved for us to come in, but it freaked us out and we took off, I used to think Fellini made up his characters, but now I'm not so sure.

Continued......

by lilimj

I clicked the post button before finishing, What unusual experiences have you had in Rome? I'd love to hear about them or go check it out when I go at Christmas. Also I heard there was a part of the city where artists hang out, does anyone have any info?
Thanks

Travel Tips for Rome

Rome Tip

by DanielF

Wandering around the old Rome, you will discover that there are churches just about every corner. There are churches for everyone's like: from the splendour of Santa Maria Maggiore or San Giovanni in Laterano to the simplicity of pre-Romanesque Santa Maria in Cosmedin or the expressivity of the Baroque Manierist churches. You can see more pictures in the travelogue.

Random statues

by Venturingnow

I don't even know where I found this statue, it was somewhere on my route to the Jadrolijna ferry office from the Yellow Hostel. There are tons of great statues spread throughout Rome, get off your butt and check them out!

We spent our first night...

by scooter3

We spent our first night around the Compo de Fiori and surprisingly ran in to one of our friends there... There is a great wine bar here, and many other bars to choose from... (also some restaurants)

Great dining without spending a fortune

by rephluxx about La Campana

Apparently this is one of the oldest restaurants in Rome. The food here was definitely regional Roman good and the service was quite good. Everything we tried on the menu was absolutely delicious, and the bill wasn't outrageous considering the quality of the food. Their house red wine was to die for. Mmmmm. The roman artichokes (Carcofi alla Romana) were exquisite as was the creamy and tasty Fish Risotto that I had. My boyfriend ordered a salmon entree that was cooked and flavoured to perfection.

Colosseum

by Santini738

The Colosseum or Coliseum, originally the Flavian Amphitheatre, is a giant amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Originally capable of seating around 50,000 spectators, it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles. It was built on a site just east of the Roman Forum, with construction starting between 70 and 72 AD under the emperor Vespasian. The amphitheatre, the largest ever built in the Roman Empire, was completed in 80 AD under Titus, with further modifications being made during Domitian's reign.

The Colosseum remained in use for nearly 500 years with the last recorded games being held there as late as the 6th century — well after the traditional date of the fall of Rome in 476. As well as the traditional gladiatorial games, many other public spectacles were held there, such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building eventually ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such varied purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry and a Christian shrine.

Nowadays when you visit the colosseum you can take pictures with the people who are wearing gladiator costumes.But they want 10E each for a gladiator and would be very unpleased when u dont pay them :)

Comments