Westin Excelsior Rome

Booking.com Westin.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• silly659's Profile Photo

A nice big accomodation

Pros:
    - The room was amazing! The bed was the usual Italian bed but the comfortors were good, we defenitly got a good night sleep
    - The bathroom is huge and the shower was great with good pressure
    - Of course when at one of these hotels you always have good access to amenties so that was nice
    - It was our honeymoon so they gave us the yummmies strawberries and champagne (which was ok)
    - the room decor makes you feel like you're living in a palace

Cons:
    - Concerige not as helpful as in the US (just not knowledgeable about the restaurants, also they recommeneded taking taxi everywhere but walking/bus/train are soo easy to use and cheap)
    - It's slightly far from everything, given that we love the Tratasvere area we probably would have preferred to live around there, so we ended up walking there every night which took about 30 minutes or so.

Unique Quality: 1) Has a decent pool and jacuzzi (not hot water though)
    2) Has a steam room which was nice

• jenn5179's Profile Photo

Wonderful Accomodations, great location

The hotel was immaculate, our room was very large with a great shower.

Also, staff was very friendly, hotel bar was nice with good selection of wines and champagnes by the glass.

Unique Quality: I really liked the location of this hotel, we were able to walk to many sites, we even walked to the Colliseum and back, stopping at other sites, shops, and a cafe or two on the way back.
    In fact, the only time we took a cab was to the Vatican. Everything else we just walked to from the hotel.

We also walked to the restaurant I wrote up on, Santo Padre - which was a wonderful place.

I will say, since it is a Westin, it does not have the small traditional feel, so if you are looking for some "cultural experience" within a hotel, this is probably not it for you.

BUT, if you like a nice clean updated room with a great TV, a shower with fantastic water pressure and want to be able to walk to a few of the sites in town - this is by far a great spot

• MaureenVT's Profile Photo

Great Hotel, Great Location

As we finished out our trip to Europe, we had 1 night in Rome, and stayed the the Westin Excelsior. I must say that while the front desk was very accomodating and friendly, the concierge was not at all. We checked in late as we had missed a connecting flight, and as we asked the concierge for restaurant recommendations on our one night there...they were less than helpful.

Our room and bathroom were very grand and luxurious...though we didn't have much of a view.

Unique Quality: The location of the hotel is ideal, as it's central to everything and easy to walk anywhere. We were able to quickly check in, walk to a great restaurant, and then around the city and to the Spanish steps.

Directions: Via Vittorio Veneto

• aquabella's Profile Photo

Staying in Style on the Via Veneto

I stayed at the Westin Excelsior in Rome on Via Veneto for two nights in May, using my Starwood Points. For an extra few thousand points, I upgraded to the next level room. I had a wonderful room overlooking Via Veneto. The room was huge for European standards and up to the quality of all Westin hotels. I found the staff at the Excelsior to provide five star quality service. A wonderful use of my Starwood points.

Unique Quality: They have an incredible gym that you can use for free, a small indoor pool and a Turkish bath. They also have a very nice piano lounge -- I just wanted to sit there all evening. There is also a restaurant -- I looked in on Sunday morning and saw a spectacular Sunday brunch. Unfortunately it was about $60 (US) but would have been well worth it if I had a big enough appetite.

Directions: Via Veneto, just up from the American Embassy

• petdec's Profile Photo

A monument to the Hotel industry

I was fortunate during this visit(my first since retiring)to be able to stay in The Hotel Excelsior. This hotel , has been taken over by the Westin Hotel Group ,but , at least whilst we were ther, it has not been altered too much.
    This place has been a world leader in luxury Hotels for many years. When I was a young Opera Student in the seventies, I was taken to a function here and was awestruck by its opulent elegance. If you like people watching., then buy a drink (not cheap,but it wont break you)and sit and watch, particularly in the early evening,you wont be disappointed.

Unique Quality: The service was excellent as was the suite we had. The staff were friendly,and helpful.
    A legendary ,fabulous Hotel , situated on The Via-Veneto,made famous in the Fellini film of the sixties, "La Dolce Vita"
    This hotel is worth the expence even for one night to be truly spoilt and indulged.

Directions: Near The American Embassy

More about Westin Excelsior Rome

Westin Excelsior - Rome

by andersonclan about Westin Excelsior - Rome

Overall, this hotel was super nice. It was in a good location, close to main attractions but not too close. The rooms were large & the beds were wonderful, as are all Westins! We enjoyed the view of the streets. You can open up your large windows & let the fresh air & the sounds of Italian culture come right in. We found out once we got there that there were many gentlemen's clubs nearby! We weren't looking for them but we kept finding them.

Lovely lobby and outer appearance, but that's where it ends.
As a connoisseur of 5 star hotels worldwide, and a marketing specialist, I know quality. In my opinion, attention to detail is what makes a hotel memorable or forgettable..

Let us first remind ourselves; the 5 star in Italy is not the 5 star of Sydney or Paris. However you can find a lot better hotels in Rome, namely the Hassler hotel, or even the Intercontinental or Baglioni.

The chauffeur from the airport was a female who was sour and unfriendly, (how they expected her to lug my 4 large luggage pieces I'll never know, I've never been sent a female driver before, it's not good for women's reproductive system to lift heavy objects), then when I made a few attempts at conversation she prattled on about boys and clubbing and didn't stop...

The room was very large but very shabby, with no broadband connection in the room ('you must go down to the business centre' - like I'm going to get dressed and go out of my room at 2 or 3am when needing to check or send quick emails for overseas company time zone!), Nor did they have a dvd player in the room. When I asked if one could be supplied, they didn't have it. (!) The hotel Hassler had multizone dvd & ISDN installed before I even arrived.

The Westin Rome is a very average hotel, no doubt not the worst, but not great. Its fine for regular people looking for a decent place to stay. If you prefer the best you can find, not just average, go to the Hassler instead.

Dinner at the Westin Excelsior, RomeDinner at the Westin Excelsior, Rome