Zara

Tags

Singles Women's Travel Budget Travel
See Amenities
diemblake's Profile Photo

Rome could do without it...

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 26, 2010

I arrived at the Hotel Zara - Rome on October 7, 2010 in the late afternoon/evening, and from the very beginning it presented a challenge. I am a very budget-minded traveller, and although I had read some rather negative reviews about this hotel, I decided to try it out because of its location (a step away from Via Nazionale, and close to the Spanish Steps, and just about everything else), and also because there were some positive reviews (regarding the location).

This hotel does not present well, but if you do not care about aesthetics, then this is no problem. For me, I didn't care. I began to care, when I found out that the elevator (which could hold only one person at a time and his/her suitcase) only went to the third floor, and my room happened to be on the fourth. One elevator ride, and a trip up two flights of stairs, I ended up in front of the door to my room. I opened the door, eager with anticipation to throw my exhausted self unto the bed awaiting me, only to discover that I could not see because of the darkness of the room. After locating and turning on the light, I saw my room in its full glory. It was small, but I expected that. It was narrow, I expected that too. It was truly dark, even with the light on. This I did not expect. I saw there was a standing closet, which had one of its doors missing. I saw that there was a desk with a television on top of it, but no chair. I saw that there was a window (and thanked the gods.) I saw that there was a long horizontal mirror above the desk.

I walked to the window, and opened it. I was pleasantly surprised by the view of the patio and an outline of the city of Rome. I turned around to face my room, and sighed. I was in Rome. I looked to my left and saw a smaller room, which I assumed to be the bathroom. Turning on the light, I saw that it too was very small. I expected this. I saw some exposed wires where there should have been a mirror above the sink. I did not expect this. I also did not expect the loud noise that was produced when I turned on the light. I sighed again, and thought to myself, "Well, at least, I am in Rome."

I decided to refreshen my make-up, but as it was getting pretty dark, I decided to find the light source by the mirror, so that I could actually see what I was doing. How foolish I was to think that there would actually be light. I went downstairs to the desk attendant to ask if I could have a lamp of some sort to provide the light needed for me to see, and was told no. I sighed again, at least I was in Rome. I decided I didn't need light for a week and would just do my best at the start of the day. The days went on like this, and only got worse.

I recognized from the first night that someone else had slept in the bed, but I expected this. What I did not expect was to find the many, many hairs left behind by the person who had last occupied the bed however. I did a lot of sighing. Over the course of the week, I received fresh towels, but the room was never swept. The dust accumalating in the room was only made worse by the staff's insistence on keeping my window open, even after I closed it.

Also, I found out to my dismay that I was not allowed to have male visitors as a single woman, because of some belief that I may be prostituting myself (nevermind the fact that I am gay). I was told by an attendant that this was a law in Italy. I had never heard of this before. So, my poor friend (whom I had come to visit me during my visit was told to wait outside while I came downstairs, and was not allowed to help me bring some shopping bags upstairs after I returned. This was all very disappointing, but who was I to interfere with the law of Italy. I sighed again, and decided never return to this hotel.

It also did not help that I was frequently talked about by staff, who referred to me as "la negra," to other people even when I was in their presence (the thought was that I didn't understand Italian at all).

So, my advice: if you happen to be a Black woman travelling alone in Rome, who does not like dirty hotels, and ill-mannered staff, then do not stay at Hotel Zara. Regardless of location, the grief involved in staying there is not worth it.

Unique Quality: It is close to Via Nazionale and the Piazza di Repubblica. It is a short walk to the Termini and to many other local sites. There are many non-Italian restaurants in the area, from Japanese to McDonalds. It is close to just about everything. There is a convenience/deli store next door, gelato (not very good) close by, and across the street, even more gelato (better), and many tourist gift shops and a camera shop as well. Many expensive brand name and boutique stores line the Via Nazionale., as well as many, many lingerie stores. Also, many fruit stands (I'm vegetarian) and a grocery store are in walking distance, and a bookstore/cafe as well, and also other vendors, selling inexpensive wares, such as pashmina scarves, hats, etc. Very close to the metro. The hotel offers luxury car rides to the airport for 50 Euros, or you can have a regular taxi pick you up for 40 Euros. Personally, it is my plan to take the train in to and from the airport when next I visit Rome.

Directions: Head towards Piazza di Repubblica on Via Nazionale. Hotel on left-hand side on Via Delle Quattro Fontane (one-way street.)

Nearby Zara

Amenities at Zara

• Restaurant
  • Continental Breakfast

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews