via Fontana della Camera 3, Sperlonga, 04029, Italy
Booking.com Tingo.com Travelocity

More about Sperlonga

kath striking a posekath striking a pose

Winding alliesWinding allies

Madonna Della Civita © L. ShapcottMadonna Della Civita © L. Shapcott

Ice cream Heaven © NonnaLouIce cream Heaven © NonnaLou

day trip from Rome

by skywalkerbeth

maybe I will do this instead of Pompeii, this trip, since it is such a long day otherwise! do you think this is a place to take one day from a 3 day trip to Rome, or, should I just stay in Rome? (my second trip).

I would love to see Pompeii but can always see this when I visit the south - Naples and Amalfi.

RE: day trip from Rome

by Lacristina

I'm not sure why you chose Sperlonga and what kind of experience you are looking for. Not knowing what you have seen previously in Rome, and what your interests are, it's difficult to recommend. But there are many other day or half-day trips you could do from Rome.

Yes, Pompei would be a long day.

Some other alternatives: you could see at least a few of the highlights of Florence in a day - it takes just over an hour and a half by Eurostar train. You could go to Ostia Antica. Or to the medieval walled town of Orvieto. Or the Castelli Romani in the Alban Hills.

RE: day trip from Rome

by Tetreus

Taking one day of a 3 day trip in Rome for Sperlonga ...no I wouldn't do this.
Also going to Sperlonga takes you a long travel ( do you have a car or do you have to do this by train ? ).
Sperlonga is very nice ( I have been there several times ) but I would do this if I would be longer than 3 days in Rome.
Sperlonga is nice for a 10 minutes walk in the village...Sperlonga is nice to be a few hours on the beach ( the water is clear ), Sperlonga is nice to take a pizza on a saturdayevening...........but to take one day of a 3 day-trip seems a bit exagerating and I would prefer to see lot's of other places closer to Rome.
It depends also of course how many times you've been in Rome already and perhaps you've seen already everything ?

If you are with a car, you can do in that case the coastline..seeing Sabaudia, San Felice, Terracina, Sperlonga and Gaeta. In that case you do several villages, they are nice ! ( look at our pages )

Janine and Andrea
( tetreus )

RE: RE: day trip from Rome

by skywalkerbeth

thank you to both.

a friend of mine suggested it as a day trip from Rome, she said she loved it.

given that this is my second trip to Rome, I think I will stay in Rome.

thanks again.

Travel Tips for Sperlonga

Sperlonga-Best Beach in Lazio

by MrVilla

The Beach is great. European Blue Flag standing. Beautiful old village set into a rock promontory, over looking the sea. Mainly populated by Italians, giving you a taste of pure Italian Beach life. The water was warm. Some days very surfy, others calm as a millpond. Clear and sandy. Lots of sun beds and umbrellas owned by hotels and a fair bit of "Free Space" dotted up and down the beach. Nice views of th eold town from the beach. It was once popular with movie stars in more glamorous days than ours.

Visit Nearby Itri's Flower Festival on 10th June

by NonnaLou

In June the feast of Corpus Domini attracts many visitors to Itri, to view the colourful, decorative carpet of flowers, over which the traditional Corpus Domini procession passes. The designs depict scenes from the bible and messages of peace and brotherhood, and are painstakingly composed of thousands of individual flower petals.

It is well worth a visit.

See how the wealthy ancient romans lived.

by unravelau

The museum actually fronts the main road from Sperlonga to Gaeta and it houses an interesting display of artifacts and statues etc., that were discovered in Tiberius's Cave. If you go down the side of the museum and head towards the water you come to Tiberius's villa which in its day must have been magnificent. I don't know much about these ruins, I just get drawn to them. I imagine how the people lived there, then. So you can see the Sperlonga township quite easily from the villa and The Treglia monument (whatever it is) is also visible. Going past all of the rooms you can see a series of pools that extend from right next to the villa and finish close to the ocean beach. On the left is Tiberius's cave..........a pool goes right inside the cave and its full of fish. (see Lazio travelogue).

Sperlonga, South Lazio

by NonnaLou

"Sperlonga on the "Riviera Di Ulisse""

Sperlonga, on the "Riviera D' Ulisse” is a beautiful seaside resort.

I really love the atmosphere of Old Sperlonga.

It is only a short drive from Itri, where we now live.

(Please do take time to look at my Home pages and Itri Pages at Virtual Tourist.)

We visit Sperlonga often, at all times of the year.

Sperlonga is noted for its beautiful clean waters and golden sandy beaches.

This fashionable little town is extremely popular with Italian visitors from the city of Rome,
particularly during the month of August, or on sunny summer weekends.

However out of season Sperlonga reverts to a sleepy, peaceful setting for a relaxing Italian holiday,
because, as yet, it is still comparatively undiscovered by international tourists.

.......................................................................................................................

Please do take look at all my Sperlonga Travelogues

(scroll down towards the bottom of the page to find them)

For more information about SPERLONGA and the SOUTH LAZIO area
please take a look at my WEBSITES :

We live very close to Sperlonga in nearby Itri.

If you are planning to visit Sperlonga and/or this beautiful area of South Lazio,

please do feel free to contact us via :

nonnalou_i@yahoo.com or NonnaLou@vtmail.com.
We love to make new friends.

Also please visit my

Itri, Sperlonga, Terracina, Formia and Minturno Pages,

and my Home Page at Virtual Tourist

I have started a Blog regarding our story of moving from the UK to Italy, and adventures along the way, it's entitled

"Avanti Sempre Avanti" at nonnalou.wordpress.com